SA Doe: Not Enough Milk?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feraltydreaming

Reaction score
Good evening, everyone.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on a nursing question. Currently, the SA doe in question is somewhat more willing to feed her three-day old kits than she has been for the last few days. This morning, she nursed all of the kits. However, tonight, she did not seem to have much milk and refused to feed her kits. The doe ended up having to be turned on her back and those that were in the most need of feeding were bed in that fashion. However, she did not even half enough milk to feed them.

Is there anything that can be done to increase the doe's milk production at a pace that will match her kits need for her milk? Currently, she is getting two tablespoons of calf mana (once in the morning and once at night).

Respectfully,
RW

RW,

Most does feed once per day, some will do twice. If they are getting one good, solid feeding per day, then they are fine. You can look in the Natural Feeding thread for ideas but one that comes to mind is Fenugreek...

If I'm not mistaken, BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) can help with it. When one of my does was not making enough milk (babies growing at different rates, with only a couple growing at a normal rate), the kind folks on here advised me to give her a handful of rolled oats (regular oatmeal) coated with blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap is loaded with nutrients, and the oats are very good for rabbits, too.

It did help. She did start producing more, but I did still need to supplement some of her kits with homemade formula.

OneAcreFarm is right, though. Rabbit milk is very, very rich. Cottontails feed only once a day. Many domesticated rabbits feed once a day. Many feed twice. Even when they do feed, it's very brief -- only a few minutes. Is it possible she may be feeding them enough, and you just didn't realize it?

Another thing to consider is that it can take several days for the milk to completely come in. It's possible that the babies haven't been getting a lot the last few days, but they may suddenly start to get plenty over the next day or two. :)

Meanwhile, here's an old thread that dealt with this very question: topic5090.html

Thank you both very much.

This litter has been so different for my friend than the first litter that she had by her other red SA doe that she is still "feeling her way around" the intricacies of differing does when it comes to the unique SA personality.

From what she has told me, the doe did much better this morning and she has started feeding her more BOSS and rolled oats along with her usual after-kindling ration of calf mana. That seems to have helped from what I have heard and seen this morning.

Respectfully,
RW

*laughs* My apologies, Miss M. Yes, SA means Satin Angora...I do not think that is the show notation for the breed, but it works for me *grins*.

Respectfully,
RW

Latest posts

Back