Russian Thistle???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
I have a ton of this stuff growing around here, and it's super easy to just yank the whole plant clean out of the ground, cut the root off, and toss it in a cage, and the rabbits seem to really love it. Been using it sparingly because I don't know how "safe" it is. I know the wild bunnies eat it pretty often so it can't be too bad...

Am I safe using this more often/offering it freely?

Isn't Russian thistle what tumbleweeds are made of? =D
There's so many kinds of thistles...no idea if that one is safe or not...

Secuono":3qzxzqx2 said:
Isn't Russian thistle what tumbleweeds are made of? =D
There's so many kinds of thistles...no idea if that one is safe or not...
Sure is, but I have plenty of the non tumbleweed versions growing all over hell here! LOL!

Genus name for Russian thistle is Salsola. There are 26 species, one of which is tumbleweed. I did just a quick search; couldn't find info on safety for bunnies. Sites discussed edibility/palatability of younger plants to cattle, sheep and lack of same for older plants.

Maybe take it from there?

I've been told its fine for livestock so far. The bunnies love it. All except one French lop lol

We still need the Latin name for the type of Russian thistle you are feeding, Millinex. Without that, other members cannot identify what they have and will be reluctant to put their rabbits at risk by feeding it.

Latest posts

Back