Runt or peanut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel749

Reaction score
Is this a peanut or just a runt of the litter?

its tiny. Some others are smaller compared to this black one but this one is by far the smallest.

Mini lop breed

Attachments

• 05C05B95-4A6B-41A8-AF16-5E3DBFF4ABDC.jpeg
    05C05B95-4A6B-41A8-AF16-5E3DBFF4ABDC.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 9
It's just a runt. Best way to tell a peanut is by looking at the ears, not size. Peanut have tiny, triangular ears. This kit has normal ears. In the US, mini lops don't have the dwarf gene. They do in the UK and australia however

Thanks.
I did think runt as he does use his/her back legs.
Iv gave him a couple of extra feeds today so
Fingers crossed for him

The easiest way to tell the difference is the ears and forehead. If the ears are small, pointed, and set far back, and the forehead is large and the eyes bulging. The picture you posted shows the forehead but the ears look normal and not pointed, hopefully not a fader!

I too would like to know about a specific kit. A little info.... kit was born 5/11 and there were 8 pure bred californian. 3 died within 24 hours . On day 3 I went out to feed early A.M and get my daily litter count and one seemed missing from nest. I searched frantically. These nesting boxes have a lip as to protect kits from falling out of the nest etc. My cages also have a small edge at the bottom so kits won't roll out, but as I was searching for the "lost kit" I happen to look down and under the cages 2.5 feet down and about 1.5 feet away was this kit. I picked it up, it squealed and I put it back in the nest. Later on in the evening I checked it and it wasn't keying with the rest but it was fairly close. I went to put it with the rest and noticed it had saggy skin and seemed dehydrated. I brought it in to feed it, it ate well and seemed to thrive however between me snd kit we struggle because it won't suckle the nipple I have right now and I use a pipette to feed. I worry it isn't getting enough nutrients and it may be a peanut. Any advise please.20220514_182932.jpg

I too would like to know about a specific kit. A little info.... kit was born 5/11 and there were 8 pure bred californian. 3 died within 24 hours . On day 3 I went out to feed early A.M and get my daily litter count and one seemed missing from nest. I searched frantically. These nesting boxes have a lip as to protect kits from falling out of the nest etc. My cages also have a small edge at the bottom so kits won't roll out, but as I was searching for the "lost kit" I happen to look down and under the cages 2.5 feet down and about 1.5 feet away was this kit. I picked it up, it squealed and I put it back in the nest. Later on in the evening I checked it and it wasn't keying with the rest but it was fairly close. I went to put it with the rest and noticed it had saggy skin and seemed dehydrated. I brought it in to feed it, it ate well and seemed to thrive however between me snd kit we struggle because it won't suckle the nipple I have right now and I use a pipette to feed. I worry it isn't getting enough nutrients and it may be a peanut. Any advise please.View attachment 29747
They're cute. I wish I can give you advise, but how's the kit?

Hi! I'm no expert as I don't have a breed that produces peanuts (no dwarfing gene), but to me that just looks like a runt. If they are pure Californian, I don't think they should carry the dwarfing gene, so they can't produce true peanuts (a kit with two copies of the dwarfing gene), but I couldn't say for sure.

For feeding, on other threads folks have suggested supplementing feeding by holding the doe and putting the runt on her to feed, or taking the largest kits out of the box for a feeding to make sure the little one has a better chance to eat. Have you tried either of these methods? I wish you the best with the little guy!

Hi! I'm no expert as I don't have a breed that produces peanuts (no dwarfing gene), but to me that just looks like a runt. If they are pure Californian, I don't think they should carry the dwarfing gene, so they can't produce true peanuts (a kit with two copies of the dwarfing gene), but I couldn't say for sure.
Very true this. Peanuts are the result of two dwarfing genes. Regular meat rabbits cannot produce them. They can, and often do, produce runts. Runts USUALLY come around just fine by the time they are 12 weeks old as long as they get enough milk AND (more importantly) have the will to fight to survive.

Enough milk can be given by removing the biggest half of the group before at least one feeding. Often they just need one good feeding to get themselves going. You can also foster them out to a younger or smaller litter. Generally speaking, though it's easiest to foster out the biggest of the litter rather than the little ones if you plan to foster out kits. Moving them does create some stress and bigger kits handle that better than smaller kits.

I too would like to know about a specific kit. A little info.... kit was born 5/11 and there were 8 pure bred californian. 3 died within 24 hours . On day 3 I went out to feed early A.M and get my daily litter count and one seemed missing from nest. I searched frantically. These nesting boxes have a lip as to protect kits from falling out of the nest etc. My cages also have a small edge at the bottom so kits won't roll out, but as I was searching for the "lost kit" I happen to look down and under the cages 2.5 feet down and about 1.5 feet away was this kit. I picked it up, it squealed and I put it back in the nest. Later on in the evening I checked it and it wasn't keying with the rest but it was fairly close. I went to put it with the rest and noticed it had saggy skin and seemed dehydrated. I brought it in to feed it, it ate well and seemed to thrive however between me snd kit we struggle because it won't suckle the nipple I have right now and I use a pipette to feed. I worry it isn't getting enough nutrients and it may be a peanut. Any advise please.View attachment 29747
that kit is a runt not a peanut. There are lots of ways to assist kits if you are of a mind to do so. For this litter I would simply remove the three fatties you have there and let the smaller ones get a feed with less competition.

that kit is a runt not a peanut. There are lots of ways to assist kits if you are of a mind to do so. For this litter I would simply remove the three fatties you have there and let the smaller ones get a feed with less competition.
The one circled in the pic died this morning and there's 1 more smaller one . I weighed them they're 3 5oz, 2.68 oz, 2 40 oz and 1.70 oz

The one circled in the pic died this morning and there's 1 more smaller one . I weighed them they're 3 5oz, 2.68 oz, 2 40 oz and 1.70 oz
I'm sorry to hear that. Remove the biggest ones of the litter for one day so those weak kits get a good solid feed if you want to assist them in making it. Some people prefer to let nature take its course as it helps their herd in the long run (giving you more rabbits with a stronger will to thrive).

Latest posts

Back