rotisserie rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissapell

Reaction score
Spring *ahem SUMMER* is in the air! Temps have already hit close to 90. The blueberry bushes are loaded and the strawberries are blooming. The grapes have budded out and the apple trees are covered in pretty pink flowers!
The first weekend in April has been scheduled for our butcher day. We will have 13 to prepare. My husband has not stopped talking about doing rotisserie rabbit for a month now so I stopped and picked up a grill today. He has spent the afternoon putting it together for me. Any tips on how to best prepare rotisserie rabbit?

Most of the rabbits I eat are cooked on the rotisserie we use the Ronco rottisserie. I like my rabbits a bit on the spicy side, but but it is a real to your taste type of thing.....I like it WAYYYYYY...better than fried!

Bowbuild

I do mine over the campfire al the time/ so tasty! Use whatever spices you like but make sure you coat the rabbit in either butter or another oil, this 1 keeps it from burning and 2 locks in the juices.

UH YUM! I've never cooked rabbit (can't wait for my first batch to be processing age!) but everything that everyone has posted here sounds soooo good!

jollysrabbits":44uhql5g said:
I do mine over the campfire al the time/ so tasty! Use whatever spices you like but make sure you coat the rabbit in either butter or another oil, this 1 keeps it from burning and 2 locks in the juices.
Does it need to be continually basted?

not usually, doesn't hurt to put a second coat on, I normally do, but thats because iam standing next to the fire drinking beer, shootin the breeze with friends and family.

dayna":3qhb80lt said:
UH YUM! I've never cooked rabbit (can't wait for my first batch to be processing age!) but everything that everyone has posted here sounds soooo good!
I agree 100% with you I want to make meat bunnies now they sound so tasty :)

jollysrabbits":nglmesxy said:
not usually, doesn't hurt to put a second coat on, I normally do, but thats because iam standing next to the fire drinking beer, shootin the breeze with friends and family.

I want to hang out at your house!

What kind of rotisserie set up to you use? Do they sell them to put on a grill? The only rotisserie I have goes in a convection oven, but outside over a fire drinking a beer sounds much better.

Stops reading in order to run quickly downstairs to grab the Ronco rotisserie! :lol:

I just oven roasted three larger rabbits, shredded all the meat, and am in the process of making casseroles to freeze in portions for myself on the days I'm working from home. Handy, and yummy! :D

coffeenutdesigns":3fxv55c4 said:
jollysrabbits":3fxv55c4 said:

What kind of rotisserie set up to you use? Do they sell them to put on a grill? The only rotisserie I have goes in a convection oven, but outside over a fire drinking a beer sounds much better.

Hahaha, anytime. My dad and I actually built ours. We hammer rebar next to the pit(opposite sides) and slip conduit over it that have holes drilled for different levels of height, we then run the metal bar through (it has stakes to keep the rabbit in place)nice set up for about 20 bucks. I can take pictures tonight and post tomorrow if you would like.

tailwagging":1mdjheix said:
is that $20.00 or for roasting 20 bucks
:D

Block party! :band: :beer2:

I would love to see pics of your homemade rotisserie, Jollys!

jollysrabbits":3dcp200n said:
coffeenutdesigns":3dcp200n said:
jollysrabbits":3dcp200n said:

Hahaha, anytime. My dad and I actually built ours. We hammer rebar next to the pit(opposite sides) and slip conduit over it that have holes drilled for different levels of height, we then run the metal bar through (it has stakes to keep the rabbit in place)nice set up for about 20 bucks. I can take pictures tonight and post tomorrow if you would like.

Yes! That would be great. I will go stock up on beer in preparation :buds:

dayna":3lf3vbcg said:

I never have enough buns. Evey time I work up the nerve to go cook/eat one, the snake man comes, and I need the cash more than I need the experience. Hopefully soon I'll have a surplus of buns to eat.

skysthelimit":26ns38f4 said:
dayna":26ns38f4 said:

I never have enough buns. Evey time I work up the nerve to go cook/eat one, the snake man comes, and I need the cash more than I need the experience. Hopefully soon I'll have a surplus of buns to eat.

You NEED more rabbits! :twisted:

fuzzy9":2c3wd3ys said:
Stops reading in order to run quickly downstairs to grab the Ronco rotisserie! :lol:

I just oven roasted three larger rabbits, shredded all the meat, and am in the process of making casseroles to freeze in portions for myself on the days I'm working from home. Handy, and yummy! :D

Can you give details on how you oven roast them? I would think that without skin, you'd end up with bunny jerky fairly quickly in the oven. :( What's the secret?

-Wendy

We have an attachment to our grill so that is what we plan to use. To roast we use a terracotta clay roaster. you soak the pot in water over night then add the rabbit. So as it cooks in the oven the pot steams and dries back out leaving the rabbit very moist.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 pm __________<br /><br />http://www.romertopfonline.com/

I use a ronco rotisserie cooker. I make my own spice rub and take wooden tooth picks tha have been sitting in water to secure on a bacon weaved ummm cloak around it. Mmm!!!!!

Latest posts

Back