Roaster > Fryer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I deboned and fried a 17 1/2 week old rabbit after 3 days rest/brining in the fridge. I used the same spice rub that I use on fryers and fried it with some cubes of steak I cut from some sirloins in regular soybean oil. (Unless deep frying, I usually mix rabbit and beef or venison.)

Since fryers are 12 weeks and under, I figured this was a "roaster", but the taste and texture were superior to the fryers we've had. DW agrees that the meal was great. I'm pretty sure she wasn't just being nice, either. I gave 2 "roasters" to a friend and will see what he thinks.

So, is the 12 week cutoff a myth? I'm thinking about extending the growout time on the rest of my herd.

Hmmmmmmmmm... that's very interesting. I've always read that >12 weeks = no frying. All of mine so far go well over 12 weeks, due to slow growout. I just might have to try frying anyway. :)

Good to know its possible have a tasty fryed rabbit at 4 months. It probably depends on the diet of the rabbit along with other varying factors.

I kind of forgot about this thread. An update...the guy I gave the roaster rabbits to said his family loved them. He grilled them.

So it seems that the 12 week cutoff isn't such a big deal. :)

Some of my rabbits are waaaay to tough to fry at even 10 weeks and some are tender enough to fry at 16 weeks.

I wonder if its does V bucks for tenderness rather than age?

GBov":149t806h said:
Some of my rabbits are waaaay to tough to fry at even 10 weeks and some are tender enough to fry at 16 weeks.

That's an interesting thought. These were all does. My bucks tend to go to freezer camp earlier.

TMTex":35s2ugzm said:
GBov":35s2ugzm said:

That's an interesting thought. These were all does. My bucks tend to go to freezer camp earlier.

I can tell when skinning if its a buck or a doe, even at 6 weeks so that might make a difference in the meat as well?

Back