RIP Wild Popple

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyldrose

Reaction score
Oh no! just got a call a friends cat took home a tiny popple and she's dropping him off here in an hour!

It's eyes are open and it's teeny tiny. Think it would be ok to try and foster it to one of my litters? I have a newborn litter and 2-4 week old litters. I think I'll bring it inside for the night and then maybe hold one of my does over him or flip on. The girls with the 4 week olds are properly getting dry right?

Here's the pic I stole from her FB page.

I love animals (just ask my husband). And baby animals? Love them even more.

That being said, I am not sure I would introduce a wild rabbit, even a baby, to my herd. I wouldn't want to risk my rabbits. I might be willing to keep it separate and try to hand raise it, but I would not put it in with any of my rabbits.

I agree with Marinea, its to risky. I wouldn't do it. I'd get some kitten formula and hand raise it but keep in mind that since its been had by a cat it should be on antibiotics to treat/prevent infection. Cats have tons of bacteria in their mouths. When I worked at the vet we always treated any critter with cat bite wounds with antibiotics to prevent infection. Good Luck! :clover:

I recently had one of my does foster 4 wild bunnies that the neighbors dog orphaned. They were only days old. My rabbit had kindled the day before but both of the babies she had were stillborn. She took care of them as if her own. She was a mixed breed rabbit that i was not keeping so i decided to try it. If the one you have was wrestling with a cat antibiotics are in order. I would not have done this with my thrianta rabbits but I wanted to give them a chance and it worked out fine.

I tried to flip the 2 does with 4 week olds, but he is too weak. I mixed up some kitten milk, pedilyte and corn syrup. He ate about 5cc's so that's good for now.
I stole some fur from my girl who had her popples today, she's got plenty to spare. He snuggled right into it.
We'll see how it goes, he is very skinny(they had him for 2 days and fed him homo milk and cream). It doesn't hurt to try right?

He's much more active today! He ate 3 2.5 cc syringes full of formula. I'm going to feed him 3-4x a day hope he starts to eat on his own. In a few days I'll mix in some formula into some pellets until it's mush and see if he'll eat it that way.

I would keep him separate from my herd, but I would absolutely try to raise him. Just because I don't have any "give up" in me. I have seen many things that we thought for sure were goners make a turn for the better. You have to at least try. Best of luck!

Gracious! If you could breed a rabbit to look like him in that first pic, I think you would be rich! :money:

It doesn't even look like a rabbit, to be honest. :?

I hope the little guy makes it. The fur is so long compared to body size that I wonder if it is stunted in some way?

I thought the same thing, I've never seen a bunny like him. His fur and coloring is different somehow.
LOL In the first picture he looks like a little downy screech owl chick laying face down on the towel! :)

MSD he is very very skinny that is why his fur looks so long, you can feel every bone in his spine, his hips etc. I just weighed him he's 15 grams. His belly is looking fuller, nothing like my domesticated popples. I'll keep up with the formula feedings and see if he makes it.

Once he gets a little stronger and ready for mush, consider adding kitchen oatmeal to the mix. It is very digestible and kits take to it readily. You could also use pellets but add them in slowly.

MaggieJ":nar4yk85 said:
Once he gets a little stronger and ready for mush, consider adding kitchen oatmeal to the mix. It is very digestible and kits take to it readily. You could also use pellets but add them in slowly.
Awesome that is exactly how I raised the baby mice I dug out of my shed a few years back. Kitten milk replacer and oatmeal. I figured the pellets would be good since they have the vitamins too, so I'll start with the oats, then add pellets.

Latest posts

Back