Rigid water systems for rabbits. Do's and Don'ts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
Have all supplies, tools, and fixtures on hand when you start.

Mentally, piece the system together before starting construction.

DON'T use any type of saw to cut the pipe. It doubles or triples the time required to do the job. AND you can end up with particles of plastic that get lodged in your water nipples.

Instead....spend the extra money to buy a PVC cutter. THEY ARE AMAZING!! Trust me...trust the voice of experience. I used to do just like everyone else, and cut all of my pipe with a mitre saw. Thinking I didn't need to "WASTE" the money for a cutter. You're left with a rough edge that needs to be ground down. The electrostatic properties within the pipe cause microscopic pieces of plastic to stick to the inside. I don't care how "HARD" you blow on it....there's always some tiny pieces left. A good PVC cutter can be bought for around $20.00. That's the best money you'll ever spend.

On meat rabbits....they suggest the pipe be 8" off of the floor. That's a good height. Some of my bucks can arch their back just slightly and trigger the valve to release water.

Assuming you use 1"X2" wire, cut a single wire out of each end of the cage to allow a 2"X2" hole starting 8" off the floor. Cut the pieces of pipe, and dry fit them together on top of the cage. Use pipe clamps to hold them into position. Pipe clamps are cheap and readily available....use them! Don't use twisted wire to hold the water line in place. Sharp ends cause nicks. Nicks cause abcesses. Abcesses cause slower production, possibly death from infection.

Assemble your water line pieces in four to six foot sections, keeping all water-valve "T's" in a perfect line. I eyeball all of mine as I put them together. Once glued, start working you line thru the 2"X2" holes on the backsides of the cages. All water nipples should have a slight downward slant.

I've said all along that I've never worried about the pipe being on the inside of the cages. I still don't......BUT....for the first time in 20 years, I did have a young doe knaw on the pipe and cause a minute hole in the line. Of course it was on a Sunday afternoon. But, I had all of the items necessary to make a quick cut and splice a coupling into the damaged line. EXCEPT.....my PVC glue. It was hard as a rock!! Living in a small town there was no place I could go to buy more glue. Luckily, I've got a friend who's a plumber. I borrowed some of his.

I'm considering making a pictoral guide on how I set up a watering system. I've got an extra bank of cages that are at the present time still standing unused in the barn. I've thought about breaking down each step, including how to put the water exit nipples in a water tank. Trying to explain each detail is lengthy and somewhat hard to comprehend from the written word.

If I can do this, I'll include using a water pump and installing a return line so that everyone can get a good picture of how to make all of it come together. It's a great system and one that will last for years and it's not much more expensive than crocks or water bottles. I'll keep an accurate list of expenses like I did with the swamp cooler I constructed.

fixin-to-start-t8728.html

grumpy.

I've subscribed to this topic and look forward to learning more! This is something that we're wanting to do for our future rabbit area and I'm really not sure how to go about doing it.

And AMEN about PVC Pipe cutters! We bought some cheap ones at Harbor Freight and they were a godsend! Use them more often than we would have thought. I used them to make the watering grids for my square foot garden beds. Oh, and to make my failed automatic chicken waterer (which I will be re-working in the future since I know where I went wrong).

Having an auto-water circulating water system for the rabbits would be an awesome thing. Right now we're going out once or twice an hour to check water bowls right now and it's a little bit tedious. I can't imagine what it's going to be like once summer gets here! lol

With the sharing of your knowledge I might not have to find out! :)

We chose a system that uses flexible tubing instead. The tubing can be cut with scissors, and no glue is needed.

trinityoaks":27sazq53 said:
We chose a system that uses flexible tubing instead. The tubing can be cut with scissors, and no glue is needed.
Ah, but flexible tubing is easily [punctured by bunny teeth, and must uses stand-off clips to keep it out of reach---

ya gotta look at pros and cons of every item you consider-- ;)

That sounds great grumpy. I hope I can wait long enough on my installation till you get the pics posted. I am sure it will save me a lot of time.

Thanks,
Tommy

trinityoaks":209lpv50 said:

Living in a temperate zone, the probability of freezing pipes may or may not be a factor. However, the flex system has one major drawback. It cannot be used when temperatures fall below freezing. It must be drained and crocks or water bottles must be substituted through the winter months.

"Glue" is minimal in cost. Probably less than a dollar for a 10 doe rabbitry. One of the best ways to keep your rabbits breeding through the winter months, other than extended artificial lighting is the availability of warm water on a continual basis. It makes a huge difference. The initial outlay isn't overly expensive when one adds all of the other watering accessories already purchased.

I learned long ago that when properly installed, an automatic watering system is hands-down the largest labor saver in a rabbitry. Folks initially balk at installing an auto-watering system, feeling they may or may not have the expertise to do the job properly. Well......there's really only one way to find out and that's to grab the bull-by-the-horns and give it a try.

That's how I learned. Even with failure there is value in learning. I fail quite often, but I continue trying until I'm successful.

grumpy.

PistolPackingMomma":2szdvmpp said:
I'm interested in knowing more too! Does the system run along each cage, or all of them together? Can it be added to later if you want to expand it?

It's a continual system that links all cages to a single water source. Usually a large water barrel or large plastic bucket. and yes, you can add to the system at a later date.

grumpy.

What about the swinging of suspended cages? Can you do a PVC system with cages that are individually hung with chain, not connected to each other?

Miss M":2ozb6jt0 said:
What about the swinging of suspended cages? Can you do a PVC system with cages that are individually hung with chain, not connected to each other?
I think that would depend on how much each individual cage can swing in relation to it's neighboring cages-- Some hanging cages are quite stable-- others will really rock like a hammock. Some people make a hanging cage bank-- One length of wire for the back, front, whatever-- so if one part moves, the whole line of holes move.

Latest posts

Back