Rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
I was practically given a bunch of rabbits today....the primary doe is an amber(?) Rex....she told me castor but when I looked it up on google, she looks more amber. The buck is where I am wondering lol. He is tri-colored, and she swears he's papered. But his fur doesnt feel like the doe's fur?? Is he Rex??

Attachments

• 20230323_182952_HDR.jpg
    20230323_182952_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I was practically given a bunch of rabbits today....the primary doe is an amber(?) Rex....she told me castor but when I looked it up on google, she looks more amber. The buck is where I am wondering lol. He is tri-colored, and she swears he's papered. But his fur doesnt feel like the doe's fur?? Is he Rex??
That looks like a tricolor rex to me. Rex coats can really range in quality.
If the doe is castor, she should have black lacing on the edges of her ears. If she's amber, the lacing will be less distinct, and chocolate rather than black. Some castors can be quite reddish-looking on their surface color, but they'll have the black ticking rather than chocolate.

Congrats on your new bunnies. Yes, I agree, your tricolor is Rex.
My original buck was like him. He was super sweet, but his fur was lacking compared to my castor doe. I sold him and bought a tri buck with amazing fur.
The doe in my profile photo is a castor with really rich coloring.

Her fur is SOOOO soft and thick! And she is sweet and a proven breeder!

I had a whoopsie this morning sometime between 12:30am last night and 8 this morning...found my lion head/rex doe in the pen with 2 6 month old rex bucks...so I put her in with the lion head buck this morning so hopefully I will get it least SOME lion head....figured if I was going to get a litter amyway, I might ask well put my castor doe with my rex so I will have a way to foster if needed. I wasnt planning to breed yet...oh well. Its is what it is, lol.

I moved all the bucks and only have does in my 3 pen hutch now, so that's won't happen again.

This is my doe....is she castor or amber??
I'd say castor. Her forehead and the tips of her ears especially show the black, but her body surface color also looks ticked with black. On an amber, there is much less contrast between the orange middle band and the chocolate ticking.
Here are two photos that show difference in ring color between castor and amber. The castor is darker than yours (there's a lot of variation among different animals) but you can see how different the colors are:1679679269544.png1679679149756.png
Images are from Mini Rex Color Guide which is a fabulous resource for rex coat colors. They can look very different from normal fur because all of the pigment is compressed into a very short hair.

Here are some examples of the range in castor you can find (these are Mini Rex, but the color is the same on both breeds). These were all Grand Champions, so illustrate an acceptable range of the color:
Biscuit.jpg Ginger (2)crop.jpgBrownSugar.jpg Cookie (2).jpgCarmel.jpg Ace1015.jpg

Back