Rex coat types

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
So, my first time doe has had a very successful first litter with my mini rex buck. She's from the first litter I bred and based on what I was told, her mom is Cali x Standard Chin, and her dad was NZR. She is a very poorly marked harlequin with a normal coat. I've been out of town for the last week, and haven't had a chance to see these little guys as they're growing up so you can imagine how surprised I was to find rex coated kits in the nest! In this litter of six, I have three standard coats, and of the other three one has a plush rex coat and the other two are varying levels of wavy and ripples.

So, apparently, my little doe carries Rex. Surprise! Anyways, my only experience with rexes are from 4h 20 years ago, and my mini rex herd buck. Are there different coat types within the rex breed? I LOVE the wavy/ripply coat pattern on one of my kits.

The wavy fur is likely a side effect from crossing rex to rex carriers.

Their normal furred (non-rex) ancestors lack the modifiers that produce good quality rex coats. It is likely the plush coated one may moult into a harsher coat and developer long guard hairs as it matures. The chances of getting a perfect rex coat in the first generation are pretty slim but not impossible.

Pretty much. I don't even get 100% good Rex coats in a litter of pure bred Rex. Rex is a sport gene, with a lot of modifiers, and I still get some too soft, some too harsh, and protruding guard hairs.

The wavy coat and ripples may be Astrex fur. At about 16 days old the curls/waves will be very visible. Then they moult them out around 6 weeks or so.
You can see Astrex photos from kit to adult here: http://dumansark.com/?id=26

Latest posts

Back