Rex Buck seems lazy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheleBelle75

Reaction score
Good morning. Ok, I just got a Californian doe. I put her in with my Rex buck and I have never had a buck act like this. He just wanted to lick her ears, back and bum. She would do everything to try to get him to mate. She stayed lifted, rolled on her back. It was crazy so I walked out of his line of sight and he tried breeding the wrong end and she got aggressive. I walked over and he got away from the doe and was more focused on her scent than mating. Licking the wire just weird.. I walked away again then he was loving on her. I got my binoculars and a chair and I saw 2 fall offs. He finally bred her but is it normal for them to go by aunt Martha's to get a sack of eating apples before FINALLY getting it done. My Holland buck is totally opposite.

Good morning. Ok, I just got a Californian doe. I put her in with my Rex buck and I have never had a buck act like this. He just wanted to lick her ears, back and bum. She would do everything to try to get him to mate. She stayed lifted, rolled on her back. It was crazy so I walked out of his line of sight and he tried breeding the wrong end and she got aggressive. I walked over and he got away from the doe and was more focused on her scent than mating. Licking the wire just weird.. I walked away again then he was loving on her. I got my binoculars and a chair and I saw 2 fall offs. He finally bred her but is it normal for them to go by aunt Martha's to get a sack of eating apples before FINALLY getting it done. My Holland buck is totally opposite.
Did you have them somewhere besides the buck's cage? Sometimes even bucks who are totally serious about their jobs get distracted by new things and/or a new place and explore for a while. I suppose that makes sense for a prey animal.

By the same token, like @RabbitsOfTheCreek notes, an inexperienced buck can feel the same way about a new rabbit. He has to check things out first and kind of test the waters before getting down to business. Often after the first breeding, he'll be pretty quick to get going. My new bucks start to get excited to see me after I've brought them a doe or two. 🤣

That said, some bucks are lovers and others are fighters. I personally kind of prefer the buck will who romance the doe a little; that's frequently the one that can get a reluctant doe bred, when a more aggressive one will just cause her to squash her butt flat down on the floor or run around the cage screaming. Although your doe was obviously in the mood and didn't need romancing - when they roll like that!

And I've found that no matter how experienced, most bucks are quite taken with doe urine (hence licking the wire), and will try the wrong end once in a while. I don't think they don't know the difference - I think it's more that they don't actually care. 🤣

Last edited:
Did you have them somewhere besides the buck's cage? Sometimes even bucks who are totally serious about their jobs get distracted by new things and/or a new place and explore for a while. I suppose that makes sense for a prey animal.

By the same token, like @RabbitsOfTheCreek notes, an inexperienced buck can feel the same way about a new rabbit. He has to check things out first and kind of test the waters before getting down to business. Often after the first breeding, he'll be pretty quick to get going. My new bucks start to get excited to see me after I've brought them a doe or too. 🤣

That said, some bucks are lovers and others are fighters. I personally kind of prefer the buck will who romance the doe a little; that's frequently the one that can get a reluctant doe bred, when a more aggressive one will just cause her to squash her butt flat down on the floor or run around the cage screaming. Although your doe was obviously in the mood and didn't need romancing - when they roll like that!

And I've found that no matter how experienced, most bucks are quite taken with doe urine (hence licking the wire), and will try the wrong end once in a while. I don't think they don't know the difference - I think it's more that they don't actually care. 🤣
Beau has been with a Rex doe but she deterred his advances..she's still young and not ready.. lol so he is brand new and inexperienced. I'm just glad it is normal for some bucks. Thank you

Back