Rex - Bleeding - Hocks or something else??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seashore

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

One of our Rex does was found yesterday with a lot of blood on top of her box and on her ceramic tile which she loves sittion on. While she does have poorly furred hocks that have been known to bleed before, they don't look too bad currently. The blood on top of her box was oddly viscous, not liquid.
Does this look like it comes from bleeding hocks, or do you think something else may be wrong? There's quite a lot of blood!!

She's been somewhat off colour ever since her last litter, which was born about 4 months ago - often a bit listless, vanishing into her box if we attempted to pick her up hence the length of her claws in the photo (since trimmed). Her appetite is normal. After we checked her and took these photos, we put her in a grass run while cleaning her cage and she bounced around joyously like any other bunny who hasn't been on grass for a while. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of pain.

20231118_191920.jpg
20231118_191927.jpg
20231118_191931.jpg
20231118_192012.jpg

I agree it's a lot of blood for sore hocks but my suspicion is this (not having examined her thoroughly myself) is that she ripped a scab on that one back foot and caused some significant bleeding. Now if you have examined her thoroughly and can't find an injury (and in case you don't know, wounds can hide really well) I'd keep a close eye on those hocks and probably NOT continue her genetics in your herd.

I agree it's a lot of blood for sore hocks but my suspicion is this (not having examined her thoroughly myself) is that she ripped a scab on that one back foot and caused some significant bleeding. Now if you have examined her thoroughly and can't find an injury (and in case you don't know, wounds can hide really well) I'd keep a close eye on those hocks and probably NOT continue her genetics in your herd.
Thanks @ladysown ... We hadn't thought as far as not continuing her genetics but you're right, this would be ideal. Unfortunately, we're in a small country with a small genetics pool and bad hocks are pretty common in Rex here. Have to see what we could find for a replacement self chin doe...
This post was some time ago; we treated the hocks with Betadine and softened her wooden slat floor with a layer of hay for several weeks. The skin has healed and not broken since, very little fur there though.

Does the gloopy looking texture of the blood concern anyone??

Last edited:
Back