Rex as a meat rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I need a good meat rabbit that isn't too large. I understand that was the original purpose of the rex. Am I correct that rexes are larger than Floridas and smaller than NZs? That would be about the size I want since there is only me to feed. I hope I'm right since I seem to be finding mostly rexes.
I have quite a bit of experience from helping my grandfather as a youngster but am not that familiar with many breeds. He paid no attention to breed, only to their conformation as meat rabbits.

The rex is conformed as a meat rabbit. Two sizes of rex- standard and mini. I am finding it difficult to find Standard rexes. The minis are a bit smaller than an Eastern Cottontail.

Frosted Rabbits":3idlzio3 said:
The rex is conformed as a meat rabbit. Two sizes of rex- standard and mini. I am finding it difficult to find Standard rexes. The minis are a bit smaller than an Eastern Cottontail.
From what I am finding I suspect there are a lot of standard/mini rex crosses out there.

or mis-labeling...Standard Rex should be 7.5-10.5 lbs, Mini Rex should be 3-4.5 lbs. according to the breed standards.

Alaska is full of undersize Standard Rexes and oversize Mini Rexes. People just don't understand how detrimental it is to try to use undersize/oversize rabbits instead of culling them! It's been a pain.

That said, I initially got Rex for a dual meat/fur rabbit and ditched them before my buck was even grown because of how slowly they were growing out. I'm sure there are decent lines out there, and if you're wanting to grow them out to an age with a useable pelt I guess it doesn't matter as much, but the ones I've been seeing are NOT economical meat rabbits.

For one person, you would be far better off with the Florida White or Dutch or Mini Satin, IMO.

I find it frustrating that i cannot find any standard Rex anywhere. So good luck to you.

Most people prefer the mini rex for pets because of size although I really think the standard rex has a better temperament for a pet. The market for them seems to be almost entirely as pets.

We raise Rex as a meat rabbit. I agree with you Standard Rex are hard to find. So far we have butchered all our fryers at about 12 weeks and they weigh anywhere from 4 - 5 lbs. Great rabbits like them for their meat, soft fur, and different colors.

Latest posts

Back