Retained kit plus new babies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I have a young himi ND doe that was expecting her first litter. On day 32 she had one baby get stuck and my son and I helped her to deliver it, dead of course. I palpated her and could tell there was one more baby still in her. I expected her to deliver it soon, but after a couple of days she still hadn't. She didn't seem to be in any distress at all, but I was still very concerned. I put her in with a buck hoping that breeding her would stimulate labor again. She actually lifted for the buck several times, to my surprise. We went on vacation and I hoped that she would pass the kit at some point while we were gone. We got back yesterday and I immediately went out to check on her and palpate her. I can still feel the larger dead baby, but I'm positive I feel marbles in her too! They feel like the right size according to when she was bred. I have always read that once there is a retained kit the doe will be sterile. I'm not sure what to think now! I'm hoping that maybe she'll expel everything when she delivers these new babies? Anyone ever had anything like this happen or heard of it? I really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back