Retained Kit in Older Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
This spring I picked up a trio of silver martens at Mini Convention in Ohio.
It was a gamble because I hadn't arranged a presale and was looking for some extra does to add to my trio back at home to move my breedings along.

Anyways, someone getting out of rabbits was selling a bunch of silver martens and picking through the best, were an older doe (5 years old), her daughter (11 months) and an unrelated buck.

I bred the does to my young buck back at home.
The young doe kindled however, the older doe went through the motions of pregnancy (palpated positive - I'm decent at it) and on her due date, had birthed something bloody into the pan (tissue mass...a plug...maybe partially eaten kit?). Since then, I can feel what seems to be a retained kit inside of her. Her dewlap is still massive as if she were heavily pregnant.

I've never had a retained kit before.
Can a doe sometimes birth it out later with a healthy litter? Or will this forever hinder her breedings? I suspect her age definitely had something to do with it. She wasn't bred regularly before I owned her (with the previously owner ailing in health) so I know that didn't help. It was a gamble taking her on from the get-go but I wanted to at least see if I could get an extra litter from her.

Any insight on mummified kits/retained kits and experiences with it would be helpful. Thanks!

I don't know if this idea will help or not, but lavender buds and to a lesser extent sage may help her to expel the retained kit. I'd be cautious about using these if she has live kits that she is nursing. Sage (and mint) can dry up the milk supply. None of these herbs are toxic to rabbits, but they are medicinal plants and it is best to know what is affected by them before using them.

I have also read that lavender can help expel kits, placental material, etc. It's supposed to be a rather potent herb, though, so be careful with how much you use.

Latest posts

Back