Rescue Rats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone just literally dropped off two rats and their cage at my front door. Can you take care of these things? My daughter got them, hasn't been taking care of them and I think they are just too creepy to deal with.

They are thin.
They are quite frightened of people, very bold with the cats.

I've given them cat food and a yellow tomato each.
They appear to be female.

How do I best care for these things until they are healthy enough to either breed (my son's desire) or rehome?

thanks for your help.

I feel for you! I used to breed and rescue pet rats.

The best thing that you can do for them is to get them on rodent blocks, sounds like they have been on a junk food diet. The blocks have everything that you need for them and helps to keep their teeth healthy. You can get them from any store that sells pet supplies ie: Walmart, Petco, Petsmart, or other such stores. Give them plenty of fresh clean water. Most will drink from a water bottle rather then a crock though.

Let them be in a room that is not to active and slowly let them get to know your family one at a time. Small amounts of seeds that you would normally give to your buns is ok, not to much since you do not want to give them tummy upsets. A place inside their cage where they can go and hide is also a good idea. It will give them some security in a very scary place.

If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to PM me.

Well... yay for your son getting rats! =D

But how sad :(

Rats need protein. It is common for drop-offs (dumped pets) to come to people thin. Quality high protein puppy kibble (some people use kitten kibble, but the debate is that many rats can get diarrhea on it - a dangerous situation for such a small and already weak animal) can do a lot to bring the rat back to health. Many people mix it right into homemade diets with dried pasta noodles and seed (in almost 20 years, have never had a rat get an upset GI on a homemade seed mix) I like to use bits of chicken meat or beef meat and yogurt. I limit fruit and veggies until they have settled in, then start with just small pieces.

I hope they bounce back well and tame down beautifully for your son, Ladysown!

__________ Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 am __________

I want to add that Rats must be one of the hardiest of the scavenger critters, right up there with Pigs. They are voracious omnivores and should weather this if they are young and otherwise healthy. Good luck!!

Ooh, rats are so fun! :p Your little lad will probably prefer them over mice in time. They live longer too, which is nice. :)

What colors are they? I used to have hooded rats, and loved seeing the patterns on the little ratlings.

Duman, wasn't it you that advocated carrying shy rats around with you all day long, allowing them to hide in your shirt?

I love pet rats! I've had a lot.

I would skip the cat food. I second the rat blocks. Also known as "lab blocks" as it's a healthy all purpose food for lab rats... Nuts, seeds, etc are a good fat/protein/energy source.

And photos? We love photos!

I love my ratties! They are so friendly and yes will eat just about anything, they don't care for rabbit food though, at least mine dont :lol: I feed mine food from around the house with the occasional meal of rat block thrown in. They get assorted fruits and veggies, cereal, dried pasta, bits of meat and eggs, nuts, yogurt, and dog food. They also love to chew on cooked chicken bones and rib bones.

My 2 boys are both hooded rats 1 is black the other is champagne in color.

Pictures!

They are quite shy and if I open the cage up they skuttle around, so I took a pic through the wire. Hope it gives you an idea on 'em. :)

no idea what kind they are though.

I suspect the dark brown one will come around the quickest. We gave them an upside down basket to hide under (the kind you get fruit in). :) Broke a hole in the end.

If you'd like in depth care information one of the best online resources would be: goosemoose.com/rfc/

They're primarily pet oriented but some of the members know more than the exotic vets in my town. There is a ton of information in the forum, and if you don't find what you're looking for right away they're pretty quick about answering questions.

Also, rat blocks are one of the best and cheapest diets you can get, but you can also feed a mix: http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

MamaSheepdog":pasaw5xw said:
Ooh, rats are so fun! :p Your little lad will probably prefer them over mice in time. They live longer too, which is nice. :)

What colors are they? I used to have hooded rats, and loved seeing the patterns on the little ratlings.

Duman, wasn't it you that advocated carrying shy rats around with you all day long, allowing them to hide in your shirt?

As someone who started with mice first, I second that your boy will find he really enjoys rats - they bond stronger than the mice do.

Looks like an agouti hooded and maybe mink or blue for the one in back? Pretty!

I absolutely recommend carrying young rats around - it really works. But with adult rats... no. I had such a horrific bite - on my finger - but if that rat had been down my shirt... and adults tend to really scratch and poop loose smelly stool when they get anxious. So with these particular ladies, getting them back to weight and getting them settled in may be the best you can do if the girls don't care to tame into affectionate curious pets. Some rats that come skittish as older rats always stay skittish -- BUT. Since your son has hopes of raising rats, handling the pinkies will do wonders for the 1st Generation :) Selecting pairings between the nicest of the offspring will give him an amazing line. I can't wait to see updates!! =D <br /><br /> __________ Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 am __________ <br /><br />
JessicaR":pasaw5xw said:
I love my ratties! They are so friendly and yes will eat just about anything, they don't care for rabbit food though, at least mine dont :lol: I feed mine food from around the house with the occasional meal of rat block thrown in. They get assorted fruits and veggies, cereal, dried pasta, bits of meat and eggs, nuts, yogurt, and dog food. They also love to chew on cooked chicken bones and rib bones.

My 2 boys are both hooded rats 1 is black the other is champagne in color.

That is the diet my rats love too!!! =) And I am a sucker for a nice hooded black. Very striking!

MidnightCoder had pet rats when he was a kid. We were both very fond of them. As I recall, the number one treats were hard boiled egg yolk and a chicken bone - thigh or drumstick. They used to get so excited when they got either of those.

Of all the pet rodents, I think rats are the friendliest, most intelligent and interactive.

the one in the back is a light tan/beige/yellow colour. Not sure what you call it... in a rabbit I'd probably call it a cream?

The brown seems the more intelligent (first to find food, first to find hidey hole), the cream one will let us touch her at this point (one finger on her butt through the wire)... so I think she'll come around... Time will tell. For now the lad is just constantly checking on them and saying Hey Rats!

I'm thinking of calling them Penny (brown) and Polly (cream).

Nice looking rats. They do need a water bottle and rat cubes (too large looking pelleted feed for rats.) it's high protein and, forces them to chew and keep those teeth in control. (they are subject to overgrowth similar to rabbits teeth) Rats also like a hiddy hole with soft bedding material to line it. (paid for college by raising and selling rats) With them being thin, you may also want to add a liquid vitamin supplement to their water.

They will eat almost anything to stay alive but, they are omnivorous with a preference for grain and meat. They also like peas (I gave mine split peas cooked just until barely soft (not mush like soup), any produce except cruciferous and onion family for treats.

Be carful ot the tail when picking them up - if you grab the tail, you can deglove it (Pull all the skin off) and, then you have to get them to a vet to treat that. Of course no cedar bedding, pine is not the best either, aspen is great as is paper based bedding for them.

Latest posts

Back