removing kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weissangst

Reaction score
Well, these kits are now 5 weeks old, and eating and drinking. Mom seems to be less tolerant of them right now also, but she is 1 week prego now, so it is time for someone to move.

I have one extra cage, the exact same size as the one they are in 30x30.

I have read on here that moving the kits stresses them out, but when I was younger and did this more, I am sure we moved kits to the new cages. We use cardboard lots for floorboards in our cages, and replace it when its old, and we would always take the old cardboard with their moms smell on it, and give it to them also.

Is it okay to move the kids to the new cage, or must they stay?

Starting around 4 weeks I move the doe to a new cage every other day to help prevent enteritis in the kits and mastitis in the doe, then every other 2 days etc...

Mine I just move the two biggest out first to new cage, then follow in pairs over 2 weeks or so depending on size of litter. Usually leave the smallest in for a few days longer than the last pair removed so dry up goes over easier. However, I have some does that flat out kick out and will not deal with kits once they hit 4 weeks and must remove all of them at once for the kits safety. They are great moms, but when they're done nursing they are just done and want them out of their space and rebred. It might just depend on how your rabbits were bred as to how the best way to wean them is. I know many that do like Dood and do very well, but if I'd try that it wouldn't end so well.

I've done both- moved kits and moved an expecting doe. Both went fine. Personally, just because it would be quicker, I would likely move the doe and be done.

*fingers crossed for a healthy litter*

Dood":hfdq8eni said:
Starting around 4 weeks I move the doe to a new cage every other day to help prevent enteritis in the kits and mastitis in the doe, then every other 2 days etc...

Just the answer I was personally looking for Dood. Thank you. I wasn't sure if to just suddenly remove or how to go about it. Every other day thing makes total sense! I have 5 week olds. Thanks.

We remove all but the two smallest kits at 5 weeks old to the grow out cage. Then about 3-4 days later we remove the last two kits to the grow out cage. We haven't had problems with mastitis or enteritis so far.

Our does are re-bred 25 days after kindling, so they are 10 days pregnant when we remove both of the kits. They are already weaning the kits some by five weeks anyway, so I think that's why it works so well for us. I've read that others who don't breed as frequently will leave the kits in for eight weeks, at which point they would all be weaned by the doe anyway, but I don't believe our does would tolerate the kits that long!

Back