Removing kits from mum for the night

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Would it be okay for me to remove one or two kits overnight so my littlest two have a chance to catch up? I already tried holding the mum down and feeding my littlest runt but she showed no interest in momma

I wouldn't.

you don't want the kits that you took out to fall behind ether. I know a lot of people that will cull the runt because most don't live very long anyway.

Folks recommend doing just that all the time. Remove the biggest kits and put them back in tomorrow.

I did this with one of my last litters. Worked fine. The kits were a smaller than another litter at the same time but they are catching up now that they are eating solid food.

I have been supplement feeding as of today and it seems to help. She is about the size of a newborn to one week while the rest have hit the 1-2 week size so she isn't quite as active as them

I did this with my current litter, took 4 of 9 out for one meal, and one full belly really did make a difference, runt really does well now.

My doe nurses at dusk and dawn, so I had to return them in the night.

Preitler

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 413

Latest posts

Back