Removing fur/nestbox

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljswinford

Reaction score
This is our first litter and they are 11 days old,their eyes opened yesterday. All of our rabbits have a "box" in their cage,the youngest female used her as a litterbox so we resorted to a "igloo" and attached it to a footboard for better comfort off the wire and to help hold bedding in colder weather. ok,on to the question...I don't want to completely remove the nest box,I'm so used to them all having boxes. The mother never uses hers as a litterbox now or before the babies. If I do leave it,when should I remove all the fur and just use bedding? *They are all inside,and will be til 25-30 days old.* Also,opinions on beddings such as Carefree type products and Pine/Aspen are greatly appreciated,Im stressing over which to use!

Once our kits have their eyes open, usually by 2 weeks, I turn the box over on it's side so they can get back in. Initially I spread the contents of the box around in front of it and add a little more hay/straw to pad the wire.I leave it for a week or so. This because I want to avoid the situation where one little guy gets out and can't get back in. Once they are all hopping around the cage and eating out of the feeder then I leave 2 sitting boards in the cage and they all seem to make their "pile" on one of them.

Welcome ljswinford!

They will be hopping around soon, so I second Caroline's idea that you get the box ready for them to be able to get in and out. Also, know that sometimes momma is going to want to get away from them as she weans them, so she might want some spot she can get to that the babies can't- on top of something like a box maybe.

Also think about cage space as the kits grow- do they have enough room?

As far as bedding, have you considered hay? This gives them bedding as well as something to munch on.

When we move them outside(at 3 wks) the hutch they will be in until they are weaned is huge,its actually bigger than our kitchen table.We bought it just for mama and her little ones so everyone would have plenty of room.We will have a mommy getaway in place. The front piece on the nestbox is removeable,for when they can crawl in and out. Im just not sure when to remove all the fur and for hay,for some reason mama wont leave any in the box. Decisions,Decisions,I will be gray at 27 when this is all over! So,I guess the next step will be to remove the front piece of wood from the nestbox,leave some fur or no? (we change the bedding,every other day,every day if needed)then when they move to the rabbit mansion outside...we'll just try a few things and see what works best for babies...and mom. All opinions and tips appreciated please!!!! my main question I guess for now is,can I remove the fur from the nestbox?

Hi LJ- :welcome: to RT!

It sounds like you have some well loved bunnies! :) What kind are they?

As for the nest, I would leave the fur in place. Why do you want to remove it? Is it dirty?

I use pine shavings and hay and straw in my nests. I also put pine pellets under the nest hollow to absorb urine. We have at least one member that used the paper bedding and it worked well. Large compressed bales of pine shavings can be bought at Tractor Supply Company, which is much more affordable than buying small bags at a pet store.

When I remove my nest boxes, I like to give the kits a cat litter jug with bedding in it for them to snuggle in. It also makes a great place to give any special food that you want the kits to have, such as old fashioned oatmeal.

IMG_6099.JPG

MamaSheepdog":1m51t2ye said:
Hi LJ- :welcome: to RT!

It sounds like you have some well loved bunnies! :) What kind are they?

As for the nest, I would leave the fur in place. Why do you want to remove it? Is it dirty?

I use pine shavings and hay and straw in my nests. I also put pine pellets under the nest hollow to absorb urine. We have at least one member that used the paper bedding and it worked well. Large compressed bales of pine shavings can be bought at Tractor Supply Company, which is much more affordable than buying small bags at a pet store.

When I remove my nest boxes, I like to give the kits a cat litter jug with bedding in it for them to snuggle in. It also makes a great place to give any special food that you want the kits to have, such as old fashioned oatmeal.

They are rex/mini rex. They are very loved!! There is a ton of fur,even after discarding some here and there. They don't really seem to "use" it anymore,they lay on top of it all,instead of underneath it. I just thought it might be okay to remove it,maybe just leave enough to cover them if they needed it. I have no idea,this is all new to me and Ive spent hours and hours reading up on it all and I still feel clueless.The kitty litter jug is a great idea,Ive been trying to think of ways to keep mama away from special baby treats,too.

Latest posts

Back