Reducing litters...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
Clover and Holly (mama and daughter) are due this week.
I'm fairly confident they will fare alright with the cold.
Raven (Rex that lost her litter in wire in November) has me very nervous!
I am doing what I can to give her a chance at success.

However, Clover and Holly have both had large litters of 11 and 12-- which they raised well, but growth was slow and with the challenge of deep freeze, AND the possibility of needing to take in Raven's kits, I don't really want to overburden them. All the kits are planned for meat from them (unless we get a tri doe).

If I reduce their litters, if needed, what is a good number, allowing for room for fosters... 7 or 8? Both are big 12 lb does and good milkers :)

And if I cull -- ASAP? Scissors? :x

I wouldn't cull any from the get go unless there were health issues with the potential culls , I'd just split the 3rd litter between the two and cull if required rather than from the beginning.

We have 10 in one box and 5 in the other, so just waiting in Raven before swapping about or culling.
Although there is a super runty one I think I will cull.

TF3":1wjo7flk said:
We have 10 in one box and 5 in the other, so just waiting in Raven before swapping about or culling.
Although there is a super runty one I think I will cull.

Seems to me you have some room with only 5 in the one litter ....

As for the runt , which litter is it in ? the 5 or 10 ? if it's in the 10 I might swap it with one of the 5s and give it a chance.

Yeah , I know that sounds nutz coming from me when I cull for just about anything .... but in the nest box , I like to give them a chance unless there is something other than being runty ....

Yes, I shouldn't need to cull from the big litter, but I just need to wait on doe #3 as she is my pb Rex, and the rest are mutts, so I need spots for the Rex in case of issues. The runt is in the 10 -- and this doe had a runt last time that I grew out and it never got over 2.5 pounds by 10 weeks-- eek! So we'll see what the next day or two brings!

TF3":1y45481w said:
Yes, I shouldn't need to cull from the big litter, but I just need to wait on doe #3 as she is my pb Rex, and the rest are mutts, so I need spots for the Rex in case of issues. The runt is in the 10 -- and this doe had a runt last time that I grew out and it never got over 2.5 pounds by 10 weeks-- eek! So we'll see what the next day or two brings!

I personally do not keep any runts, I cull them to make more room, and milk for the profitable kits.

Back