Red and amber castor genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridget118

Reaction score
I was wondering what Gene's make up a red, amber and a castor color rabbit? Also what is more dominant if I breed a castor x red or castor to amber what would the kits look like?

A_ B_ C_ D_ ee = red (orange or fawn in some breeds)

A_ bb C_ D_ E_ = Amber (chocolate agouti, chocolate chestnut in some breeds)

A_ B_ C_ D_ E_ = castor (chestnut or Sandy in some breeds)

Castor is the most dominant

Castor X Amber = castor, other colours would depend on complimentary recessives ie if the castor carries chocolate, you should get ambers

Castor X red = castor, other colours would depend on complimentary recessives ie if the castor carries non-extension, you should get red

Is there a website that has the genotypes written out with photos. I'm trying to identify the correct color.

__________ Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 pm __________

What color is this doe? <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am __________ <br /><br /> I have also read a lot about the wide band ww gene do all red/orange rabbits have this also and what is the difference in a rabbit with ww or no ww is it just the belly color on red/orange? Can someone explain rufus factor and is there a geno/phenom type for them? Thanks

Attachments

• 3266.png
    3266.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 426
Would these be considered castor or amber does?
they have more red to them than my previous castors.. Parents are a broken castor doe, and a solid chocolate buck
thanks!
878AC8E7-6E6D-4AF8-95DC-6475C6E77537.jpeg

Back