raw feeders/ those who make their own dog food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed both at the same time sometimes... .. there is no reason different types of food can't be present at once, just like humans eat as well. The question is HOW MUCH at a single meal is given rather than what. Things like wild game and pork do need to be frozen about 6 weeks I think, if they don't get cooked first.When you are starting out just feed a bit less and work up to the full amount. Things like liver can give the runs first time (if they will eat it lol) especially if they eat more than a small chunk of it. I mix mine because my dogs are geriatric and can't chew bones or eat them very well. So a bit of kibble and yogurt and eggs and cheese to make up the calcium etc.

Fish should also be frozen for 3 weeks minimum and it is not suggested to feed salmon. There is something called salmon poisoning that comes from a parasite living on the fish. It's most common with salmon but found on other fish.

We freeze everything even what we raise ourselves before feeding. Even if my akita wasn't weird and preferred her meat freezer burnt we'd still do that.

I generally freeze everything first except the rabbit. I don;t worry too much, dogs eat off the ground, lick their butts, eat decaying, buried things. I worm them occasionally and everything is fine.

This dude is fed 100% raw and has been since 8 weeks
391873_10151463924433417_750881518_n.jpg

He gets beef, pork, chicken, rabbit, duck, fish --the weird things I find at the butcher plus eggs. He gets about 1.95lbs of meat daily in two portions He's 63lbs but because he's so active he eats more towards the high end of the portion scale. I don't feed him any sort of vegetables because he just poops them out whole and if I have to process something in order to make it digestible for him he doesn't need to eat it.

A growing dog on raw is way different than a growing dog on kibble. They grow slower and more evenly eliminating stress on joints during critical times where as kibble fed puppies tend to get really gangly and have weird growth spurts (a lot of puppy kibble contains hormones as well).

His favourite meat is rabbit he'd sell his soul for it but he wouldn't hurt a hair on one.
207692_10151429304733417_2051671957_n.jpg

I follow prey model style raw.
It is roughly 80% raw meat, 10% edible bones, 3-5% liver and 5-7% other organs.
Skin, fat, connective tissue and organs that are primarily muscle (heart, gizzards, tongue) all count as 'meat'!
Red meat is more nutritious than white.

For bones things like pork ribs, rabbit, poultry are ideal. Weight baring bones (elk, moose, cow legs etc) tend to be large and dense and are higher risk for chipping teeth.

I don't feed any grains, dairy or vegetables. As DevonW said they can't digest it, they don't need it.... they don't have molars to grind vegetables, they don't produce stomach acid or enzymes to break it down and digest it (their stomach acid can dissolve a bone... but not a carrot!! hmm).

Wild game or fish should be frozen for a minimum of three weeks to kill parasites. Pork sold for human consumption doesn't need to be frozen (only wild pig).

Fish isn't that nutrition and should be fed sparingly... if only for the occasional variety.

For supplements I add soy free salmon oil.. this replaces the Omega's lost in farmed meat. Not needed if you are feeding primarily wild meat. I also feed raw eggs

As a guide line you feed 2-3% of your dogs IDEAL ADULT body weight per day and adjust from there based on your dogs condition. Toy breeds, working/active breeds, pregnant or lactating bitches, sick or underweight dogs might need 4-5%+; whereas giant breeds, couch potatoes, overweight and senior dogs may only require 1-2%. Each individuals diet must be tailored to suit their individual needs and work load. Puppies up to 6 months should be fed 3-4 times a day. 6 months+ 1-2 times per day.

The benefits are MANY! Besides mental stimulation, full body work out, variety and dental benefits... thicker nicer coats, less shedding, less pooping, small no odour poops, even growth, lean muscular bodies, good breath, no 'doggy' smell and improved energy levels. The difference between kibble and raw raised puppies is amazing! As previously mentioned they grow at an even rate... no lanky awkward stage. They also don't have pudgy fat rolls and have adult coats instead of puppy fuzzies from day one!

I used to feed BARF before I switched to prey model. That is where you add in rice, vegetables, fruits and a whole wack of supplements. I have defiantly seen an improvement in my dogs since switched to PMR... their poops are smaller which also tells me less waste! They are leaner and in overall better body condition.

And ALL meat and organs can be left uncovered in a fridge... it might dry out a bit but that won't bother the dog (I actually make fridge dried treats this way). You can also defrost and refreeze as many times as you wish. Feed frozen, semi thawed - whichever suits you. You can even feed freezer burned stuff, and expired meats.

It sounds more complicated than it is.. the idea is to create the balance over time. And adjust each dogs diet to suit their individual needs and work load.

Phew sorry guys I forgot that i posted on this. Sometimes if I don't write things down yeesh.

I think it will be more of just a treat for them, or when I do get culls, which is not really often since I try to pet out what I can first, or sell to the meat buyer. We just switched my bigger pup to Tatse of the wild so both the puppy and her get the same food. Found this to be very succesful because no runs from my bigger pup who has a very sensitve stomach and changes never go well for her.

I wish I could convince my husband to do just Raw, I have read about it in the past and really do commend you guys that do it. I personally think it is a lot better then most of the dog kibble there is out there. Probably cheaper to? I spend about $80 or more a month now.

Cheaper depends on what you get and from whom. I spend a bit more on my dogs but I don't have kids and I can. I feed my ferrets raw as well and that pushes up my costs a bit as well.
A typical months menu for my critters is 40 lbs each of tripe and organ meat from various sources but usually beef and bison with meaty bones from different animals. The ferrets get ground chicken, chicken necks, eggs and organ meat from my supplier, rabbit from the freezer. I order for a couple of months at a time.

It can be more costly.. but it all depends where you source your stuff from. You'd be amazed at what you can get for free or super cheap... scraps from the butcher, road kill, taxidermist, ad on craigslist for unwanted freezer burned meat, leftovers from hunters, farmers dead livestock, stillborn animals, friends/family and of course grocery store sales.

I also like to think that I am investing into my dogs health, and saving money down the line on medical and dental expenses!

Here are my two handsome raw fed boys! My husky eats 1.5-2.5lbs per day... and the Chihuahua only 2-4 ounces! hehe

603231_10152387201370394_2086288337_n.jpg

734526_10152430697445394_290817980_n.jpg

rawfeeder":37v59to6 said:
You'd be amazed at what you can get for free or super cheap... scraps from the butcher, road kill, taxidermist, ad on craigslist for unwanted freezer burned meat, leftovers from hunters, farmers dead livestock, stillborn animals, friends/family and of course grocery store sales.

:eek: I'm glad we aren't related! :lol:

:twisted: I'm not one to pass up a perfect "set up".

Be glad you don't have to live with me! My poor family has to bear the brunt of my wit with great regularity. :roll:

Asinaway":3uy7wyb0 said:
Phew sorry guys I forgot that i posted on this. Sometimes if I don't write things down yeesh.

I think it will be more of just a treat for them, or when I do get culls, which is not really often since I try to pet out what I can first, or sell to the meat buyer. We just switched my bigger pup to Tatse of the wild so both the puppy and her get the same food. Found this to be very succesful because no runs from my bigger pup who has a very sensitve stomach and changes never go well for her.

I wish I could convince my husband to do just Raw, I have read about it in the past and really do commend you guys that do it. I personally think it is a lot better then most of the dog kibble there is out there. Probably cheaper to? I spend about $80 or more a month now.

I feed four german shepherds for 6 weeks on less than $80. Chicken, tripe, the occasional rabbit, turkey, and pork. I like to throw in a little kelp just for trace mineral.

Back