Rare Holland colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bea

Reaction score
How can I find out best which colors of hollands are rarer in my area, as well as which colors are more in demand? I am raising hollands and love the unusual but showable colors, I would like to breed high quality show lops as well as pet buns. I am in the midwest

Personally, I'd check Craiglist and Hoobly. You can at least see what people are selling, if you can't tell what people are buying. :)

Around me, Holland Lops that carry the Vienna gene are very popular at least among breeders. I can hardly find anything that doesn't carry the Vienna gene. It's very frustrating.

I would suggest buying the best stock you can afford (remember: quality, not quantity). You'll end up with plenty of pet bunnies along with show quality ones. :)

With Hollands I would recommend starting your program on type rather then colour. Hollands are a tough breed and it is hard to find quality rabbits in the rare colours, some breeders have side colour projects and always look to improve type first. Even with quality rabbits you will still be producing pets. I think most people choose what colours they like having in their barn over what is marketable, I've had pet people fall in love with tort babies.

Thanks for the replys, I have been watching craigslist as well as Hoobly, seems chocolates, agoutis, and bew's are far and few between. I bought a couple nice brood does and bucks., paid a lot but not expecting to make it back which is fine, I do want correct type as well as sellable colors I love the torts, seems like most breeders in my area for show breed them. I thought I would go with what colors I like and stick with them. I love chinchilla, squirrel, and bew's. I had opals and creams in the last litter and all sold to nice people thankfully!

In our area the Sable Points, Broken Blacks and anything other than Torts get a lot of attention. We usually have no trouble moving the Broken Blacks and Sable Points when we have them available. With that being said we see very few good Hollands in other colors. We see people putting terrible examples of the breed on the show table in some of the other colors. Every once in a while we'll see one in the rarer colors do well in a class.

Latest posts

Back