Rare breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3mina

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about rare/heritage breeds. I like the idea of propagating and promoting something unique so the first question is what are the heritage breeds?

:hmm: I guess our buns with just one variety aren't as popular.....how sad.
If only they knew how soft and sweet the Amer.Chins are.

MamaSheepdog":3j13pp9o said:
This site lists Heritage Livestock Breeds:

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html

One thing about the ALBC listing of Heritage breeds... They are primarily concerned with American breeds...Purebred ones at that.

Franco Rios has a Rare Breed listing that is somewhat different than ALBC. On His list... the Blanc de Hotot is the rarest...ALBC considers the Blanc a "re-created" breed due to all the cross breeding that has gone on trying to preserve the breed.
Am. Chins have had a decent resurgence in the last few years... but there still are the genetic results of cross breeding showing up in litters.

is it immature that I giggled when I saw the site listed asses? Really neat site, I'm going to have to have another look at it when I'm more awake. I wonder if any of the heritage breeds are dwarfs.

So if you wanted to get some American Chinchillas to help the breed, where would you start? I'd think you'd find a couple of breeders that have unrelated (or at least fairly unrelated) rabbits and get some stock from them.

Often your better off having related animals in my opinion. Afterall any pure bred rabbit is nothing but inbreed to produce the same results over and over.

Well I didn't think the question was of getting better stock rather than wanting to have unrelated animals. Most breeders prefer a related animal breeding over unrelated using line breeding. Of course you do prefer the better stock but you also want them to be relatively related as to have limited genetic differences resulting in less flaws in the offspring and more quality offspring.

skysthelimit":2llxuzp2 said:
This is one of the reasons I chose Silver Fox over, NZ or Cals.
I don't quite understand your reasoning there as most breeders at the top of any breed of show quality animal does alot of line breeding within their program. It is the basis of any domestic rabbit breed.

A&BRabbitry":6r7gv1a0 said:
Well I didn't think the question was of getting better stock rather than wanting to have unrelated animals. Most breeders prefer a related animal breeding over unrelated using line breeding. Of course you do prefer the better stock but you also want them to be relatively related as to have limited genetic differences resulting in less flaws in the offspring and more quality offspring.
You can take that in different ways.... What i was refering to you can only line breed or inbreed for so long. You will have to one or another bring in another rabbit of the same kind. and some dont. If a breeder has a nz and knows of someone that has a cali buck with nice fur and body type that will inprove his herd and a different gene pool.... They will do it. I know of a few top breeders that does this. .. But on the other hand. .. IF you have something going good .... DOnt bring in another one it will screw things up. YOu can pretty far with related rabbits. But still only so far. YOu are always looking for ways to improve your lines. But this topic can go on forever with different sighting of it. :)

I'll agree at some point you will want to do this but it's better for a begining breeder to start with related blood and learn one blood line of rabbits and their attributes first before then introducing another line. If not it's hard to tell which rabbit is bringing out what traits in the offspring.

A&BRabbitry":34bk97fr said:
skysthelimit":34bk97fr said:
This is one of the reasons I chose Silver Fox over, NZ or Cals.
I don't quite understand your reasoning there as most breeders at the top of any breed of show quality animal does alot of line breeding within their program. It is the basis of any domestic rabbit breed.

I think she meant that she chose Silver Fox over Cals or NZW because they are a Heritage breed....

MamaSheepdog":yv0ess07 said:
This site lists Heritage Livestock Breeds:

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html

I am glad I went further on that link than just the rabbits; I found out there is a breed of sheep that can be raised here on the Gulf Coast, with minimal "care", as they developed from sheep first brought over by the Spaniards in 1500, and refined by natural selection. I may have to see if I can acquire a pair, I am broke, but between my brother and myself, we have a lot of acreage just growing weeds . . . Wonder if I can find a grant?

So I've been looking around the net and I'm leaning towards Silvers and Standard Chinchillas.
I'm finding I like the smaller rabbits :p Never thought I'd say that but the big guys are getting to be a pain to handle.
Those Chins look awfully chunky :lol:

Bestest part, there's a breeder with a half dozen rare breeds including both the Silvers and std Chins and shes only a couple hours away.

Latest posts

Back