Raising rabbits without freezer technology

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I was musing about this:

We almost always take access to refridgeration and freezers as a given when people talk about raising their own meat. And we always talk about "freezer camp." But suppose you had no refridgeration or freezer technology whatsoever (it could be you live in an undeveloped country, or in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, or just can't afford electricity, or whatever--it doesn't matter). You want to raise rabbits for meat. You might be able to dry some meat, of course, but only if weather conditions and such permit, so we can't count on that. What would be the best way to structure your breeding schedules and such as to be able to work with this? You'd want to have fryers of a decent size to make a meal, but of course you can't keep fryers around forever in a growout hutch, because they'll start mating and fighting at some point, so you'd have to plan it out and stagger kindlings. Feed would be a consideration too, but could be mitigated by feeding a forage-based or low-cost diet (which you would presumably find attractive if you were a farmer of modest means in an undeveloped country area, or in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where feed stores were already empty).

I would just try to split the difference with my fryers, starting to eat them one by one when they were on the small side, say at like 2 1/2 months, and continue eating them through 3 1/2, timing the next litter to be reaching the 2 1/2 month mark by that point. Total labor would be less efficient killing and cleaning them like that, but rabbits are so quick and tidy to do it wouldn't be a big deal. Some meals would be a little on the small side, but I'd at least have a continuous supply of meat, and feed saved by slaughtering some younger would go toward keeping the others longer--although it still wouldn't be as efficient as slaughtering them all at 3 months, since a bigger rabbit would eat more during the same time.

Having larger feasts more often should be more economical though. Or if you scaled this up with more does, and tightened the time in between breedings so that you were breeding successfully every week or so, then a whole village could be supplied with steady fryers at a nearly optimal slaughter weight, but it seems you would have to have a very steady supply, and a well-organized distribution system, or the whole thing would become unwieldy very, very fast!

Keep in mind that food preservation has been fine for thousands of years, well before refrigeration came to be.
Salting meat is an option, as is jerky, for a couple ideas. Canning is another.
Personally, I plow through jerky like nobody's business.
Smoking is an option.
Dry sausage, smoked, has a great shelf life.
Think about what was done two hundred years ago, and think it through.
Making jerky is really easy. Most people over think the process, which is where their problems come about.
I've had jerky made over 6 months beforehand, and though it was pretty stale, it still beat starving.
My jerky never lasts more than two weeks.

azbowhunter":hx72p431 said:
Keep in mind that food preservation has been fine for thousands of years, well before refrigeration came to be.

That's why I find it so fascinating how dependent on it our whole way of thinking has become in taking it for granted! Or, lots of us, anyway... :) :popcorn:

Meh. Jerky & canning simply would become my diet staple. I'd still butcher as many rabbits, I'd simply have more jerky & less fresh meat. Which is why when I do eat a rabbit fresh (1-2 rabbits every time we butcher) and cook it fresh, then it'd be such a treat!

Though, might I add, half of the year, I could simply kill the rabbit, gut it & skin it, then stick it in the snow! :p I could do that right now, actually. I'd simply have to make sure the fox couldn't get to it. All I need is a box, just stick it in the snow

I think rabbits are preferable to large animals in a TEOTWAWKI situation because they don't need to be preserved for long periods. One rabbit will make a meal or two depending on how many people are eating it.

Without refrigeration you wont be able to age the meat except in fall and winter. It may be tougher in texture, but in that situation I doubt you would be very concerned about that and would be grateful for any protein source no matter how chewy.

The "jerky" that we are used to eating today is nothing like historic jerky, and has too much moisture to be stored for any length of time. The old fashioned type of jerked meat was added to soups and stews, not eaten as a snack.

CochinBrahmaLover":1xwddbu6 said:
Jerky & canning simply would become my diet staple.

Since you wouldn't be able to drive to Walmart to pick up more canning lids, having an understanding of sealing with wax (and a wax source, such as a beehive) would be crucial.

..you know if you dig a big enough hole you kind of get a fridge? :)

We do that at viking markets. Several feet down the ground tend to be cooler (like +4°C even if outdoor temp is +35°C). You can age meat there and probably store some meat for a while as well.

And it's possible to smoke the meat slowly. Like.. dry-smoking.. :lol:

Canning jars and lids and a pressure canner would be invaluable in a situation like this. Stock up now while nobody is thinking about it. I even bought extras for other family members. Smoking and jerky will be my second option.

MamaSheepdog":3joenwye said:
I think rabbits are preferable to large animals in a TEOTWAWKI situation because they don't need to be preserved for long periods. One rabbit will make a meal or two depending on how many people are eating it.

Without refrigeration you wont be able to age the meat except in fall and winter. It may be tougher in texture, but in that situation I doubt you would be very concerned about that and would be grateful for any protein source no matter how chewy.

The "jerky" that we are used to eating today is nothing like historic jerky, and has too much moisture to be stored for any length of time. The old fashioned type of jerked meat was added to soups and stews, not eaten as a snack.

CochinBrahmaLover":3joenwye said:

Since you wouldn't be able to drive to Walmart to pick up more canning lids, having an understanding of sealing with wax (and a wax source, such as a beehive) would be crucial.
Hmm... Didnt think of that. Wonder how you'd do that?!?

Zab - 6 months out of the year the entire outside is a fridge! :p we have a foot of snow on the ground now, so a deep hole wouldn't be needed, :p . Though that'd be useful in the 90F summer.. :?

We have a smoker now, so smoking would be a big part, too. In the scenario do I get to keep my smoker? *hugs smoker*

As Zab said, cold cellars have been around for thousands if years.

Dig a deep hole and fill with blocks if ice from the frozen lake and if its big enough room with enough ice you could still have ice last in there until next winter

since a bigger rabbit would eat more during the same time.
In my experience my mature rabbits eat less than my older growers, in fact my 12lb NZ x Flemish buck gets by on 1/2 cup pellets and some grass hay, anything more and he gets fat.

I think keeping a free breeding colony of rabbits that you toss some greens/hay to each day and eat off the bucks and old does as needed would be the way to go. Or protecting a feral colony from predators and offering supplemental feedings would be an even smarter and less labourous way to go.

Way down South a hole in the ground gives you a cool 73-75f so useful but not a fridge, and no ice in the winter either.

But salt and smoke have been used for a veeeeeeeery long time.

As have crocks and barrels for storage, rather than small serving size jars. And ghee and bee's wax for sealing food in.

A protected colony for rabbits would be a great way to keep a living larder. I gave a try to the living larder system with pot bellied pigs and it works pretty good, over all.

Just watching or reading about the 1918 flu gives me the shudders and it is so easy to imagine it to today. :hiding:<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:46 pm __________<br /><br />My grandparents remembered that plague! :shock:

MamaSheepdog":4r6xs30c said:
CochinBrahmaLover":4r6xs30c said:

Or... you could try reusable canning lids.

I have just started canning, but there are plenty of people who have been using these lids (the same lids, over and over) for 20+ years! :p

I have used some of the ones I ordered. The directions are just a little bit different from those for regular lids. They seem expensive to start out, but when you figure it is a one-time expense, rather than a recurring one, it gets cheap pretty quickly.

And you take the rings off once the jars are cool, so you need only a relatively small number of rings.

If it came down to it, I would just butcher as I need it and smoke/cure some when necessary. If I have to keep rabbits until they are larger, that's fine, more meat. I'm sure that fact that it's a little tougher won't be an issue if I'm just happy to have food.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:36 am __________<br /><br />That does make an good argument for smaller food animals. I have pygmy goats, so one goat could be eaten up pretty quickly. Chickens and rabbits are small enough to make 1-2 meals, so no need for preservation. I was thinking of getting some zebu cows in the future, and the fact that they are smaller would be a positive rather than a negative in a shtf situation.

If I was raising rabbits just for my own meat use, I would stagger
the breeding so as to only have 1 litter at a time ready to eat.
Then I would only butcher what I needed for a meal.
Live meat on the hoof...it keeps better :)

If I had to do the rabbits in mass, then I would pressure can
the meat. Quarts at 90 minutes, 15 pounds pressure.
I have canned venison, beef, pork, and chicken. Never rabbit
but I would just follow the same procedure.

Wax is NOT recommended for canning anything anymore.
It used to be okay to do jams and jellies with, but if the seal
got any kind of crack in it, then that was not a good thing.

We have 2 acres, and our direction is meat in the backyard.
Hence the rabbits, chickens, and eggs. We can either eat what we
grow and or , the extras I can sell or barter. That's the plan :)

We smoke, freeze, and are getting into pressure canning (already water bath can). We also love that we could just butcher and eat. We use about a rabbit a meal ( 2 adults, 2 teens - one is a 13 year old boy, and 3 younger kids, plus 2 dogs).

Frecs":no41e46c said:
http://urbanoutdoorskills.com/fat-preserving.html

Meat preserved in fat. :-D

I've done this, usually with pork. In France it is called rillettes and is popular on a baguette as an afternoon snack. My sister lived in France for 12 years and kidded that it was "French peanut butter" because after school the kids used it the same way. I make mine in a slow cooker, which is not traditional, but it works very well.

That said, I would not trust it without some kind of refrigeration or cooling. It has a long shelf-life if kept cold. When I buy cheap pork chops or loin, the less choice pieces go into the rillette pot.

I just love questions like this. Being one of those wacky preppers I think about this stuff alot. I would keep my current breeding sched. and trade and can as much as i could. I have purchased an old school wood cooking stove that I hope can achieve enough heat to pressure can my critters. I will be testing this plan in the coming weeks. :mrgreen:

camanojim":wywanbg3 said:
Being one of those wacky preppers I think about this stuff alot.

You're in good company. There are a lot of us wacky preppers here.

I would keep my current breeding sched. and trade and can as much as i could.

We have a neighbor that is raising Wagyu cattle and already have that plan in place- rabbit for beef. In fact, I did just such a trade earlier this year with another local family. :)

I have purchased an old school wood cooking stove that I hope can achieve enough heat to pressure can my critters.

We are looking for a wood stove as well. We have an awesome fireplace with a blower that heats our house currently, but the blower requires electricity, so "just in case" of a grid failure we need a backup.

My friend cooks on her wood stove all the time, but hasn't canned on it. Let us know how that works out!

I can't help but think--if our goal in raising our meat is to be more sustainable, I feel like we should also be taking into account our copious use of plastic bags and electricity to run a freezer 24/7. For sure, it's a lot less of an impact than the alternatives of the food production and distribution system, but still. To be sustainable, the goal is always to reduce waste and non-renewable inputs, and in my case both the plastic bags and the electricity for the freezer come from petroleum... I can't help but wonder if there's a better way, not just from a prepper standpoint, but from a sustainability standpoint.

MamaSheepdog":2m4mgbg3 said:
We are looking for a wood stove as well. We have an awesome fireplace with a blower that heats our house currently, but the blower requires electricity, so "just in case" of a grid failure we need a backup.

We want a wood stove, too, for the same reason. I have three people here with asthma, and I hear that wood stoves are bad for asthma. Does anyone know if this is true, or if it is more effluvium the potentates are forcefully excreting from their anal sphincters?

Latest posts

Back