Raising in single cages better?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
There is a discussion on the yahooo meatrabbit board stating that fryers will grow faster in a solo cage?!

They go on to say that less feed is consumed and the growth rate is faster

Any thoughts/input etc???

i find it depends on the rabbit.
it is true that multiple bunnies will consume more, but I find that multiple bunnies grow more quickly.
singleton bunnies eat less, and grow at a more reasonable rate.

So it's a catch 22, do you want the frame to build more slowly, or do you want lots of feed and faster growth? For my breeders...I want them to grow more slowly so I'll have no more then two in a cage. Take your time growing up, that way you are where I want you to be mentally, when you are big enough to breed.

But for my dog food rabbits. I'll stick you all in one cage (divided by sexes) because once you hit four lbs, you're ready to go. That leaves more room for the others to grow out and then if there is one that surprises me, then I hold it back. Often they hit four lbs close to the same time and that leaves room for any slow growers who with more room and less competition are done in the following week while consuming less feed.

Don't know the answer for sure, but I would think solo-caged rabbits would gain weight faster. I have a 4'x 8' cage where I feed out my youngsters, usually two litters at a time. I find that they grow a bit slower and their meat gets tougher a bit faster as opposed to 4 or 5 in a regular 30" x 40" cage. I think that can be attributable to the difference in activity. Rabbits can run around a 4 x 8 cage like it is a race track.... and do. I suspect there is , also, a bit more of "the king of the mountain" type activity to establish a hierarchy.

Ideally, for the quickest growth and the most tender meat, one could grow them in an individual cage 6" x 12", where they couldn't much move....... but I think I will leave that to Cargil or Tyson.

I am finding that I split my fryers at 6 weeks: females kept for breeding stock in one, sale buns in the other. The cages are 30x30. Enough for each to have room and what they are used to. Most tend to eat, lounge, stretch etc. I notice the most movement in buns 2-5 weeks. After weaning, they have tended to me mellow.

Latest posts

Back