Raising an orphan kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
So after all the trouble I have had, loosing the doe and the rest of the litter, I have left a lonely 3.5 week old tort buck. I have never raised an orphan kit before, I hope he makes it.

So far what I am doing is... I have him in the house so he can stay warm, feeding oatmeal and grass hay, also have pellets available. Water bowl with him, but I am also syringing some water in him just to be sure he stays hydrated, as I am not sure if he is really drinking much. He doesn't seem to be eating the hay, or if he is its not much, he is eating a little bit of the oatmeal, but again it doesn't look like he is eating a lot.

Anything else I can/should be doing for him?

Wish it was a smidge younger, I would have offered to foster it for you. Our current litter is only a little over 2 weeks old though.

So far he is doing good. He is starting to eat more and has gained a little weight. Plus he is starting to hop around the box more. I have still been giving him a little water in the syringe when he wants it, he will turn his head away when he is done. Stool looks fine, not runny so I am hoping he will make it.

Don't really need another buck, but might be hard to give him up if he makes it. :lol: Might just have to make him a house bunny. :bunnyhop:

It sounds like you already had everything under control pretty well. I wish you (and the bunny) good luck. :) Keep an eye out for GI stasis too, it CAN happen that young.

The only thing I'd probably add to what you are doing would be to offer unflavored pedialyte instead of just water if I was worried about dehydration. Not a necessary step, but it's helped me so many times that it has become routine.

Back