Raise Meat Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often they will take animal mystery illnesses for research or they have an outreach program, these programs have become woefully underfunded, but they may still be useful in your area.

It really does sound like the worst enteritis ever, but the timing seems really weird to me. I wish I had an answer for you.

Not that I am aware of.

If I were going to assume it was stress alone though, I would try using "field trips" to get them to be less sensitive. put them in a dog crate and move them around the yard, into other locations etc, start with 10-15 min/day when about 6 weeks and work up full days, with 2-3 day recovery in the home pen in between.

Seriously though, unless they are some super special breed this seems like too much work.

I treated all of my rabbits with Eprinex 3 days ago. I lost another 3 month old, ( second one this week), if it is parasites, how long does it take to kill them in their gut?
I did not treat the kits with their moms. Is it safe to treat the kits before wearing?

I finally found a vet that would come to my farm to check sick rabbits. Almost 3 months old same as the rest that have died. Lost one yesterday. 2 more are sick today. The vet thinks it may be clostridium. One of the deceased rabbits is getting sent to UW Madison Vet School for a necropsy for a definite diagnosis. There is a vaccine for clostridium for sheep and goats. Has anybody given this to their rabbits? What would be the correct dose and frequency?
Thanks in advance for any and all advise!

Attachments

• 96CC252F-3718-4A6B-B06E-172835C86BD2.jpeg
    96CC252F-3718-4A6B-B06E-172835C86BD2.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
So, first, clostridium is a whole genus has different subtypes, and depending on the type you may want a different vaccine. The necropsy results may help. Given symptoms your rabbits have I would look for one that is aimed at "scours" or some other intestinal version. Here is a page touching on the breadth of the genus.

That said, I could go hunting for the nitty gritty of dosages for any of a number of vaccines, but the next thing you probably want is to find dosing for your specific vaccine for a non-ruminant hindgut animal, such as a horse ideally, but barring that I would just take the sheep dose by weight and convert it to your rabbit weights. It looks like a common course is just 2 vaccines 2-4 weeks apart. The vet may have additional insight.

Thus if a sheep gets 2mg/kg and your vaccine contains 4mg/ml, your 2lb 3oz rabbit gets 0.5cc of vaccine. (your 1kg rabbit gets 0.5ml)

So, first, clostridium is a whole genus has different subtypes, and depending on the type you may want a different vaccine. The necropsy results may help. Given symptoms your rabbits have I would look for one that is aimed at "scours" or some other intestinal version. Here is a page touching on the breadth of the genus.

That said, I could go hunting for the nitty gritty of dosages for any of a number of vaccines, but the next thing you probably want is to find dosing for your specific vaccine for a non-ruminant hindgut animal, such as a horse ideally, but barring that I would just take the sheep dose by weight and convert it to your rabbit weights. It looks like a common course is just 2 vaccines 2-4 weeks apart. The vet may have additional insight.

Thus if a sheep gets 2mg/kg and your vaccine contains 4mg/ml, your 2lb 3oz rabbit gets 0.5cc of vaccine. (your 1kg rabbit gets 0.5ml)
I hope it is the type of Clostridium that the vaccine will help build an immunity. It’s been a literal nightmare trying everything we could think of to keep our rabbits healthy and happy.
Thank you for your help!

If it is any comfort the vaccine would likely confer partial immunity if it wasn't the perfect match to the pathogen your rabbits have. The necropsy might give a specific type, if found. If so I would pay attention to whatever it says they found. I poked around a little more and found this paper which indicates that Clostridium perfringens Type A is probably most likely in rabbits, known to cause enteritis. Hopefully that is what your vaccine is for--I was not able to read the label from the thumbnail. Good Luck!!

Fun fact that many people may be interested in on here. There was a study done in 2017 that indicated garlic extract in the feed during vaccination might improve rabbit response to the vaccine. There are actually a TON of studies done in rabbits on Clostridium perfringens Type A infection, a search will turn up reading for days!

The results are in from UW Madison from the necropsy. It’s coccidiosis😞
The vet has me giving corid for treatment and a preventive. I might try a feed additive as a preventive also.
A friend of ours bought some rabbits at an auction a few years back and that is when we started having problems with the weaners. A learned lesson to keep a closed herd and only being new breeding in from a reputable rabbit breeder. I’m discouraged…

The results are in from UW Madison from the necropsy. It’s coccidiosis😞
The vet has me giving corid for treatment and a preventive. I might try a feed additive as a preventive also.
A friend of ours bought some rabbits at an auction a few years back and that is when we started having problems with the weaners. A learned lesson to keep a closed herd and only being new breeding in from a reputable rabbit breeder. I’m discouraged…
Any input on a preventive? I don’t think an antibiotic is the long term solution. Or is there no solution? I have my rabbits in an old dairy barn and it’s not possible to sanitize everything.
Your original posts sounded like coccidiosis to me. "Weaning enteritis" is often due to coccidiosis, which can strike as early as three weeks and as late as 10 weeks. I'd agree with your reluctance to use antibiotics for the long term; I'd definitely be hesitant to use Corid as a preventative. Eventually you may end up seeing amprolium-resistant coccidia. In fact I believe one of my daughter's friends is seeing just that in her herd of Rex.

In my experience, coccidiosis is often, or even usually, due to hygiene issues, most often related to wetness. Definitely clean out cages and hutches that have held sick rabbits to reduce the number of pathogens, but you should not have to sanitize everything in your barn all the time; healthy rabbits should be able to withstand some minimal exposure to common pathogens. Coccidia, like many bacteria, produce symptoms after a certain level of exposure combined with an individual's lack of resistance (due to stress and/or genetic predisposition). Since you seem to be careful about hygiene, and describe all the bunnies having similar symptoms with mostly the ones that are moved being the ones that actually die, it sounds like you've got an inherent weakness that is exacerbated by the increased stress of moving.

My suspicion is that rather than the auction rabbits bringing pathogens into your barn, they brought a genetic predisposition to suffer from the bacteria into your herd. Instead of giving up or closing your barn in an effort to completely eliminate pathogens (you won't be able to, anyway), try to breed more resistant rabbits. If you have any babies that do not become symptomatic, those are the ones to keep. If you have none at all that don't show symptoms, second best is to keep the ones that became symptomatic but recovered, and work from there, with your goal being complete elimination of symptoms. If you think you have traced the root of the problem to the auction rabbits, you might think about replacing some of your breeding stock, maybe a few at a time so you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Getting rid of descendants of the auction rabbits might be a place to start.

I briefly had a problem with weaning enteritis/coccidiosis a few years ago. It persisted until I went back to a zero-tolerance policy: any bunny that has any gut problems whatsoever does not make it into the breeding line-up, no matter how pretty. It does not take many generations to produce nearly 100% resistance to weaning enteritis if robust health in breeders is non-negotiable, assuming good hygiene practices of course.

My barn could not really be farther from a closed system - I swap breedings with friends, and we take our rabbits to shows, fairs, petting zoos, etc., but I rarely have health issues in my rabbits. I believe it is because I leave very little room for problem animals (health or temperament) in my breeding lineup.

Last edited:
Any input on a preventive? I don’t think an antibiotic is the long term solution. Or is there no solution? I have my rabbits in an old dairy barn and it’s not possible to sanitize everythin
Can you collect your adult rabbits poop and send it a lab to test the fecal count?
With goats we check fecal and they tell us if we have a high load. Usually adult goats can deal with cocidia. But kids cant. The kids get it because they taste a variety of things when they are young. As a preventative, we treat the kids with corid when they are 4 weeks old and again at 6 weeks old. After that they are usually good.

Any input on a preventive? I don’t think an antibiotic is the long term solution. Or is there no solution? I have my rabbits in an old dairy barn and it’s not possible to sanitize everything.

if you have access to chives, garlic chives etc., that could be a preventative, after micheals4gardens did some experiments I feed all excess chives I have. If you have regular access to other allium plant greens I would introduce it slowly and only as an addition to their diet, and keep an eye on them.

It wouldn't solve the problem of a genetic disposition, only maybe mask it - were all affected rabbits related?

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/feeding-herbs-book-recommendations.33928/#post-331615

Last edited:
Back