Rain proof

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys how did you rainproof your hutches for the outdoors? I put a tarp and a metal sheet on mine and I even gave them plastic crates to go into but they didn’t get the memo, and they were all wet I had to run them inside to get them dry and warm.

I put my rabbits in the barn, but if I was going for a stand-alone hutch, I'd:

1. Face it away from the prevailing winds.
2. Make it solid on the other three sides.
3. Make a shed roof for it out of agricultural roofing steel. This roof would slant down toward the north (b/c that's where my prevailing winds come from.) It would overhang on the south/front) and on the back (north) by about a foot (or a bit more).
4. I'd consider putting gutter at the low (north) end of the roof to divert water into a rain barrel to make watering the rabbits easier (summer use only, of course).
5. I would hinge a sheet of cut-to-size plywood to the south, bottom side of the hutches. That way, it could hang down in fair weather and I could close it up (with hooks or whatever seemed good) in rainy/icky weather. I think I'd size the plywood to leave a gap of a couple inches along the top, when closed. That would provide airflow. (Very important)

Outdoor hutches... you need an overhang to keep rain from blowing into the cages. Best if the back of the cages faced the prevailing winds with shelter on three sides. With an overhang and three sides blocking precipitation you shouldn't need to have anything in the front of the cages.

Outdoor hutches... you need an overhang to keep rain from blowing into the cages. Best if the back of the cages faced the prevailing winds with shelter on three sides. With an overhang and three sides blocking precipitation you shouldn't need to have anything in the front of the cages.
We get winds from all directions here in iowa (major tornado alley) but I guess I could pick a side I see storms come from the most

my "hutch" is more of a 3 sided shed. I have a roof that overhangs 4 feet on the open side so that I can stand in the dry area in front of the hutches on rainy days, and in a pinch I could drop a tarp over the front, but here I only do that for shade in the summer. You will need a way for them to get totally out of the rain, some hutches have a "doghouse" section on one end that is a little 4 sided box with a hole in the connecting wall. In Iowa, I think you are maybe going to need a solid floor or insulation (straw) on that section in the winter. Also if dogs can get under your hutch you need to put a second floor of 2x4 wire 3 inches under the first one--dogs will bite their feet. It is an ugly thing to learn the hard way.

if you are in a major tornado alley... do you want free standing cages outside for your rabbits???
It’s probably not ideal but I would rather not have them inside. Our duck coop has done fine in harsh weather and we built both our coop and hutch ourselves. The hutch isn’t far off the ground so it’s not wobbly.

If God wanted to run a tornado through our land the rabbit hutch would be the least of my worries 😂

Last edited:
my "hutch" is more of a 3 sided shed. I have a roof that overhangs 4 feet on the open side so that I can stand in the dry area in front of the hutches on rainy days, and in a pinch I could drop a tarp over the front, but here I only do that for shade in the summer. You will need a way for them to get totally out of the rain, some hutches have a "doghouse" section on one end that is a little 4 sided box with a hole in the connecting wall. In Iowa, I think you are maybe going to need a solid floor or insulation (straw) on that section in the winter. Also if dogs can get under your hutch you need to put a second floor of 2x4 wire 3 inches under the first one--dogs will bite their feet. It is an ugly thing to learn the hard way.
Thank you for this insight, our dogs don’t mess with the animals but even if they did our hutch is maybe 5 or 6 inches off the ground. I like the idea of having a roof overhang that you can stand under. That would be a good idea for future builds 🤔. I was thinking about a hidey hole with straw, I worry about them peeing in it though.

I went to the hardware store today And got a very heavy duty tarp and some strong stakes so it will be good for rains. The winter is a different kind of beast here but I have time to prepare.

We get winds from all directions here in iowa (major tornado alley) but I guess I could pick a side I see storms come from the
There is usually a most-common prevailing wind direction, and you'd want to put the backs of the hutches towards that. But if winds are frequently squirrely like they were where we lived in Anchorage, and would blow rain/snow in under an overhang, having a tarp with a weighted bottom edge (2x2 wrapped up in and stapled to bottom) to drop down during wind/rain storms worked pretty well. In the worst storms we also stapled the tarp along the sides to keep it from getting ripped off by the wind.

You will need a way for them to get totally out of the rain, some hutches have a "doghouse" section on one end that is a little 4 sided box with a hole in the connecting wall. In Iowa, I think you are maybe going to need a solid floor or insulation (straw) on that section in the winter.
I have moved away from any sort of solid-bottomed section in the cages, as they always seem to become a serious headache to clean during the winter. Even without straw, "urine glacier" is the term that best describes what happens when it's so cold that urine freezes almost instantly on a solid floor, and continues to build up as time goes on. Add straw and it's a total nightmare (urine bricks and mortar, anyone?), and then when it warms up enough to thaw - which it usually does here, several times each winter - it's a septic swamp. :sick: We sometimes have tried putting in a cardboard or wooden box stuffed with straw that can be removed after the worst of the weather; our mini breeds (Mini Rex and Polish) sometimes use them, but the bigger rabbits mostly just play with them.

As @eco2pia notes, rabbits need to be kept from getting wet, but as you've discovered, they don't always do it themselves. But we've found that as long as they are truly protected from wind/precipitation, rabbits are fine in wire-bottomed cages all through the Alaskan winter.

Having the cages inside some sort of a shed or lean-to is ideal (and makes it a lot more pleasant for us to spend time with them!), but when we had free-standing hutches, the best design was to enclose wire cages inside a roof and three solid sides that extended down past the wire cage bottom by about a foot, with an overhang and the tarp option described above, to drop down when wind was incoming. The other tactic we used was to set up the cages in a close U-shaped configuration with their open sides facing each other. They formed their own shelter, blocking the wind for each other, whichever direction it came from.

One thing I do in the coldest part of winter I toss everyone a cardboard box. they can chew it, lay on it hide in it, play with it...and when it gets scuzzy I just throw it in the compost and add a new one. I am also not a fan of solid bottoms. I even have perforated steel in the bottoms of my nest boxes, allowing pee to get out is critical and has saved a litter or two. I did not even think about frozen pee--you can tell it rarely gets that cold here. We have a few weeks where I have to give water in crocks, but the rest of the time I have gravity feed waterers and that is enough.

Back