Rabbits and This Plant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a screenshot of your picture into my plant identification app and got this. Does this look like what you have? I don't know if it's safe for rabbits, but you could use the Latin name and Google it! I'm not an expert and am only sharing what the app said it was, so if the app is wrong, please don't hold it against me! I'm just trying to help! 😄Screenshot_20220509-161925_PictureThis.jpg

Jackrabbit, it would be helpful if you would post the Latin name. It can prevent fatal errors. It seems to be Salvia microphylla and if so it should be safe from the point of view of rabbit nutrition.

But please note that sage of all types can suppress lactation. I strongly suggest not feeding sage or any of the mint family to pregnant or nursing does. One member lost a whole litter because the doe, out in the yard for exercise, ate a plant of garden sage.

Rabbits and goats are both hind gut creatures. Whatever one can eat the other can too. That being said, @MaggieJ gives good caution and from that one should realize that just because it is edible that there may be other matters. After all, most of our modern pharmacopeia is based on plants.

Back