Rabbits and intestines

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildove

Reaction score
I had to put one of my does down. I had both of my does together and notice blood was all in the cage. So I checked both of my does and notice that her intestines was coming out of her. I had no choice but to put her down. I know that I could save her. I hated to see her go due to the fact that she was pregnant..

Should I keep a eye on the other doe? So that nothing is wrong with her? Please any advise on this would be helpful.

As I have raised alot of rabbits and only had this happen once.

Here is a picture...

uterineprolapse.jpg

Uterine prolapse is when the uterus protrudes outside the body from the vent area.

Thats what it looked like..

So was it the best thing to put her down? She had lost alot of blood. And I know she probably was in pain.

yes--a prolapsed uterus, when it can be shoved back inside, tends to recur. It opens the animal up for infections. And when a uterus prolapses prior to birthing-- the babies are gone-- You did what was best for ehr

How do I feel that I know I have done the right thing. But feel really bad cause i had her put down. I cried all night long cause my boyfriend had to kill her.

Sorry to hear about your rabbit :(

Is uterus prolapse a genetic problem, or just from having too large of kits? I am wondering because I think Snuggles had that problem, just not that severe as it did go in on its own, but now I am thinking i shouldnt breed her again. If I keep her kit (if its a doe) will it have that problem too?

One of my first champagnes with our first litter prolapsed during birth so I got live kits but the whole uterus came out in the process. We have had no repeats from any of the champagnes so I do not think it's usually genetic. I suppose some lines could be. Just about anything can have a genetic predisposition due to other genetic health issues or physical shape of a given group of animals.

Is anybody else here a fan of James Herriott's novels? "All Creatures Great and Small", et al? He was a large animal vet in Yorkshire England in the '30's (before the advent of penicillin and antibiotics). His books are very informative, and will make you laugh and cry in turn.

A-anyway, he often had cases of "calf's bed out" as the farmers called it, and put back more than his share of uterus's in cows, sheep, etc. Sometimes it was an isolated event, but there was the possibility of it recurring. Since cattle were such a valuable animal to the smallholder, it was well worth the cost to have the vet out to try to fix it.

Lildove, having to put your doe down was very sad and it's okay to feel bad about it for awhile. Be assured, however, that what you did was in the rabbit's best interests. Better a quick and humane death than days, weeks or months of suffering. Put it behind you. These things happen occasionally, but chances are that you will go years without having a similar situation occur.

I'm so sorry this happened! You did the right thing for the rabbit.

So sorry, Lildove! :cry: You did do the right thing, though. She probably was in a lot of pain, and, even if you were able to push the uterus back in, it may not have stayed. Kindling may very well have killed her even if it did, and then you may have had surviving kits and no way to care for them. :( You spared her a lot of pain by putting her down now.

It's natural to feel terrible for a while. You may still be a little sad whenever you think about her for a long time, but you will also know that you did the right thing.

i know i did the right thing. I dont want her to be in pain.

To be honesty I dont think I want to go thou this again. In all my years that I have owned/raised rabbits this is the first time I had has this happen to me.

lildove":35r19v10 said:
i know i did the right thing. I dont want her to be in pain.

To be honesty I dont think I want to go thou this again. In all my years that I have owned/raised rabbits this is the first time I had has this happen to me.

Chances are, it will be the last time, as well

Latest posts

Back