Rabbits almost killed me!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Okay, it wasn't the rabbits fault and they probably are saying the same thing about us, but we almost died yesterday. I had found a man selling out his rabbits and cages on craigslist close to where we used to live, but it is now about a 4-5 hour drive. Because we were getting the stackable cage setup, we took the livestock trailer. Well, mostly I wanted the cages, but his 8 bunnies came with, including some Calis. My thought was that I could get the cages, assess the bunnies and sell or butcher any or all of them if I didn't like them.

We got them all strapped in the trailer in their cages, snug and comfy.

Then on the way home, about a half an hour into the trip we had a horrible car accident. We hit some kind of slick spot on a hill AND a curve and were sliding right over into the guardrail of the bridge with our front end and the trailer's back end. We both just knew we were going over and going to plummet to our deaths. At some point the truck and trailer flipped onto their sides (passenger side) and slid and spiraled for an eternity it seemed like. We were wearing our seatbelts, and came out bumped and bruised but for the most part okay. When we managed to climb out the top, driver's side, window 3 other cars had already stopped and were coming to help. DH and the helpers started removing debris from the road so nobody else would come up that hill and around the curve and run into it and have another accident. I walked around to the back of the trailer expecting the worst. There was poop and pee and feed slung everywhere and the cages were hanging sideways, but other than looking dazed and disheveled, the bunnies all looked fine. PTL we were all okay....but now what to do?

Luckily, DH's parents live close enough they could come pick us up. We had to wrestle those cages out of the trailer before the wrecker turned the trailer over, pretty much mangling the frame and shaking up the poor things even more, but we got them out...then we had to figure out how to transport them without a trailer. DH and his dad managed to stack them in the back of the truck with no protection from the wind, but still out in the sun (but we did have some good cloud cover). Most of the water bottles were busted. The bag of feed was totally intact, lol. It was in the middle of the road and about as full as what it started, go figure!?!

Well, one doe was particularly NOT HAPPY with us and peed on DH's arm OVER the urine guard while he was standing the cages up after we got her out of the trailer, lol. Guess she let him know how she really felt about the situation. I like her, already.

Those poor buns had to ride in the back of the truck for quite a way before we got back to a town. We just borrowed my FIL's truck to drive the 4 hours back home. We stopped a few times trying to get them some water, but the way they were stacked made a couple of them inaccessible and they were too stunned to drink. We had to drive another hour or so where there was a walmart and a tractor supply. We ended making some makeshift travel boxes out of rubbermaid tubs with holes cute in them (thank goodness DH had his good knife on him) we bought at walmart and then went over to TSC and bought some pine shavings and timothy hay to line the bottom of the tubs. We put the tubs in the backseat, I kept the top unlatched so I could reach back and lift the lids to make sure they had fresh cool air, because I wasn't convinced they had enough holes for ventilation. They rode fine and settle in.

Getting them home and settled was a whole other round of stuff to deal with because now we had cages with no frames, not enough water bottles or feeders (some of them were still in the trailer now at the wrecking yard) and it was too late to really buy anything. We got them set up as best we could under the circumstances, which were NOT the circumstances we planned for, in our storage building/man cave, but then had to transfer them yet again back into their cages. I am sure I put the buck and one doe back in their own original cage. The others I can't be sure about. One doe was having some issues and she kept shaking her head so I am pretty sure the wind messed with her ears while she had to ride in the back.

In conclusion...I think DH is banning me from craigslist, lol. Our bunnies have now cost us about $15,000 so it probably would have been much cheaper to just buy everything new and get some "more local" rabbits. At least we are alive, but we lost the truck and maybe the trailer in the process. :( If the bunnies don't live, that will have been a completely wasted trip.

Three of the older does had been bred about a week or so ago. I am not going to hold my breath for those babies if the does do recover. After all that stress, if they had any lurking illnesses, I'm sure it will be manifesting in the next few day so I can determine how healthy my herd is if I have one at all.

It's not quite daylight, so I haven't checked them yet....letting them have as much quiet time as thy need at the moment.

I'll go get some pictures and give you an update when I get up and moving. I'm pretty stiff and sore today, so I'm pretty sure they feel beat up even worse.

Gah! Glad you are ok at least! :eek: That's one for the grandkids for sure

oh dear-- hopefully, insurance covers something? Are the vehicles WRECKED or repairable?

The longer I don't drive, the harder it is for me to imagine driving again- eapecially since I liver where I do...

Oh my gosh! Bless your hearts! Thank God you are both all right and hope the bunnies are too. So sorry you went through all that.

Oh, wow! Thank God y'all are ok!! Praying the bunnies are ok, as well, and that your insurance will make everything right for you!

Oh boy I can't imagine how terrifying it was to think you were going over the cliff! So glad you guys didn't, and only lost the truck. At least those are replaceable. Hopefully covered by insurance. Take it easy for a few days.

I'm really glad you and hubby are ok, your new bunns will probably come out of this far less stressed than you think and don't forget to mark down the dates those does were bred, they'll probably surprise you and all have litters.

What a horrific and terrifying experience that must have been. :eek: Thank heavens you came through it safely! I'm sorry about the loss of your truck and trailer, but the important thing is that you were unharmed.

I hope that you and your hubs as well as the rabbits will all be okay, and please take it easy for a while. A trip to the chiropractor is probably in order to rule out whiplash and other spinal misalignment.

Boy- what a way to stress test your herd! :shock: If they come through this without health issues you will know you have stock with excellent immune systems!

But please!- no repeat experiments, okay? :no:

Little do your rabbits know that this was just a precursor to the "shake and bake" that lies in their future. :dinner: :roll:

DH is driving back today to deal with the insurance people. The trailer is a little banged up and scraped all down the side but I think still usable. The truck will be totalled, but it was an older model and paid for.

All the rabbits looked fine today. Last night we just did what we could to get them settled down with as little fuss as possible. Today, I get to deal with sorting them out a little better. Half the feeders and water bottles are in the trailer in the wrecking yard along with the drip pans that go between the stackables. I did have 2 water bottles I had bought to go with the 2 new pens I just bought and put together. One stackable lost it's frame so now they are just cages. I have a tarp on the floor and along the wall to keep the pee off the wall and concrete floor for now. I placed plastic tub lids and feed sacks between the cages to keep them from peeing on the lower ones. It's a mess and not at all how I planned this to play out when we got them home.

On the plus side, these are some really nice looking rabbits. Much better than I anticipated through a craigslist ad. Even the rexes I had no interest in are so pretty. They all looked healthy and clean before we tossed them around with their own waste. One had a goopy eye last night, but I am sure it was from the less than ideal transport situation with the pine shavings and hay. She looked clear and bright eyed this morning.

If I do manage to get any popples out of those girls, those are gonna be some hardy stock and super bunnies for sure, lol. Plus, it'll give all the law enforcement, wrecker service, and EMT workers a good story. I don't think any of them had worked a bunny rabbit wreck before! I was already excited at the idea of having babies so soon even if that wasn't part of my initial plan, so I guess I learned not to count my popples before they hatch, lol. I am such a planner, so jumping into rabbits with both feet wasn't part of the plan, and neither was ending up with a git 'er done housing situation. Sometimes, I gotta just realize planning doesn't always work. God is teaching the control freak in me to learn to be more flexible, I guess.

__________ Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 am __________

MamaSheepdog":2fc97sdb said:
Boy- what a way to stress test your herd! :shock: If they come through this without health issues you will know you have stock with excellent immune systems!

But please!- no repeat experiments, okay? :no:

Little do your rabbits know that this was just a precursor to the "shake and bake" that lies in their future. :dinner: :roll:

Right, no gentle stressing around here. We go all in, lol. And no, hopefully no future experiments. I only wanted a trio of Calis, but I have 4 does plus the buck. At this point I kind of feel like they earned the right to live a while to see what happens.

I do think that maybe my husband might ban me from craigslist, though, lol.

You have a great attitude- despite God choosing this dramatic way to teach you flexibility!

I agree that the rabbits have earned the right to an extended stay... just trying to make you laugh a little. :)

My hubs might ban me from CL too. I recently scraped up my bumper while getting five new (used) cages. Not quite on a par with your experience, but the cages aren't such a good deal now. :roll:

Nobody has yet said :congratulations: on your new rabbits, so let me be the first! :p

wow So glad you and your husband are ok! What a dreadful experience. I hope your bunnies are very tolerant. Maybe your husband will just restrict you from craigslist instead of ban you.

Make sure that you include all of the damaged rabbit equipment in the insurance claim. And take it easy for a while--your body is DEFINITELY going to need rest for the next week or two, at least.

I was in a MUCH LESS severe accident a couple of years ago, and I was pretty much out of commission for a week. I still have a faint, bruise-like mark on my leg, 2.5 years later, where my leg impacted the center console of my car.

Oh dear, I am glad to hear that everyone is okay, including the bunnies. That would be terrifying. I hope all goes well with these rabbits, and that they pull through for you :)

Oh man! So glad everyone is ok! These stories are why hauling a trailer freaks me out so much! I've had 2 friends get in serious accidents hauling something. Your guardian angels were definitely working overtime - or else it was all the lucky rabbit feet in the back!

haha, I told my husband that I thought rabbit feet were supposed to be lucky but ours didn't have lucky feet...I guess I was looking at all wrong, those feet kept everything from being worse!

When you said you'd explain later, I never expected this!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm so glad y'all are alright, and that even the buns seem to be pulling through!

trinityoaks":2h4nwad1 said:
Make sure that you include all of the damaged rabbit equipment in the insurance claim. And take it easy for a while--your body is DEFINITELY going to need rest for the next week or two, at least.

I was in a MUCH LESS severe accident a couple of years ago, and I was pretty much out of commission for a week. I still have a faint, bruise-like mark on my leg, 2.5 years later, where my leg impacted the center console of my car.

:yeahthat: Make sure you include the costs for the damaged stuff and the stuff you had to buy to replace it. I am so very glad that you are all generally ok. NO wonder those bunnies were kind of grumpy!

Back