Rabbitry in my house

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilrabbitry715

Reaction score
So I am doing everything in house. I have 6 right now. Three dwarfs and three martens. I have two does breed and I have a total of 9 cages. I clean cages and trays every other day. I am a neat freak so their area is cleaned multiple times a day:) I work and have six children. Has anyone successfully done this inside the house? My plan is to get no more than twenty! I don't cull them for meat. I honestly love and adore them. I am concerned about the smell and my son is allergic to everything so the rabbits are kept I'm there own room. Any suggestions anyone has for me I am happy to hear.

I have all of my 18 rabbits in my garage. We keep the door open from the house to the garage to keep it semi-warm. We have had no issue with smell since we started using these things from petsmart. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• pPETS-3757800dt.jpg
    pPETS-3757800dt.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 234
I wish you luck. I know people have different tolerances for things. I can't even stand to have 1 rabbit in the house. The ammonia from the urine &/or the pan filler drives me insane.

That said, I have had up to 9 ferrets at once, and with a room ionizer, have no problems with that.

You will have to be very careful with ammonia tho. Rabbits are quite susceptible to it. And cleaning 20 trays daily, or twice daily, gets very old, very fast. Also, if any pee gets on the walls behind the cages, or in the flooring below the cages, the smell is almost impossible to get out.

Myself, I also wouldn't want to have the nestboxes full of hay and fur in my house. My bunnies have their own barn, but they stay out of my house.

To each their own. I wish you luck.

Overbreeding would be a big concern for me if I had that many rabbits inside, if you don't cull for meat you will have to keep and support and house inside every single kit you produce that isn't yet sold. That usually means a separate cage for each buck after a point. It could get expensive and crowded fast.

Mine are all out in the garage, although for medical or sanitary reasons, I will bring the occasional one in the house for a bit. Other than that, they and I are happy they're in the garage. It's got it's own industrial heater. It's currently -10 outside, and they're a toasty 50 degrees in there. (spoiled bunnies)

At the last show I was talking with a rep for Red Lake Earth, a company that processes diatomaceous earth products, he told me that DE locks up ammonia and doesn't release it.
Stall Dry is DE, just larger granules than the powdered form. I'm using it in my pans now along with shavings and I'm VERY happy with the results. My quarantine cages are in my living room (all two) and I usually clean weekly or more often. There was no smell at all for several days longer than usual the last time I cleaned.

When I moved my herd into my basement this past week I coated their trays with DE and there is no smell in my basement at all from my tiny herd.

Back