Rabbit wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge and GI issues!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainViewRabbitry

Washington Rabbit Rescue
Reaction score
~Background information~
Name: Misty
Breed: Lionhead/Flemish Giant
Color: Frosty

~Symptoms~
Sneezing, Wheezing, Nasel discharge, Very thin, Bloated stomach, Very soft diarrhea like poop
Brown liquid around anus, Matted, Dirty back end

~Treatment so far~
-Endoflaxin (did nothing)

~My questions~
Will she get better at this age with treatment? What could be going on? I have some ideas… Is she in pain/suffering? (Photos from when we got her, doesn’t even show how bad she looked)

Attachments

• IMG_6642.jpeg
    IMG_6642.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Try feeding a half cup of dry oatmeal at each feeding, that may fix the sneezing and nose drips. Might help with the very thin. How long have you had the rabbit and what has she been eating?

Try feeding a half cup of dry oatmeal at each feeding, that may fix the sneezing and nose drips. Might help with the very thin. How long have you had the rabbit and what has she been eating?
She’s already been having dry oats for weight. We’ve had her about a month. She’s eating rabbit pellets and Timothy ha.

Hmm, was hoping the oats would help. Have you looked up her symptoms in Merck's online veterinary manual?

Rabbits - Merck Veterinary Manual

They know loads about rabbits, especially since they've been laboratory animals since before forever.

Hmm, was hoping the oats would help. Have you looked up her symptoms in Merck's online veterinary manual?

Rabbits - Merck Veterinary Manual

They know loads about rabbits, especially since they've been laboratory animals since before forever.
To me I’m thinking Pastorella. Her poop issues make me wonder megacolon? I’m not sure…

I do think it’s pasteurella. Can she ever be housed with another rabbit if treated successfully? Can this spread to my other rabbits? How hard is it to get to go away at her age? She’s been on Endoflaxin with no luck. Could try doxy? Is she in pain or suffering? Will that if so continue? What may be causing the stool issues? Any advice/tips welcome!

So you have had her for a month. Was she healthy when you got her? She is an older gal so perhaps dispatch before you get more attached. I would never let her be around my other rabbits. Sorry you have to deal wtih this. Every day is a learning day. Best of luck.

~Background information~
Name: Misty
Breed: Lionhead/Flemish Giant
Color: Frosty

~Symptoms~
Sneezing, Wheezing, Nasel discharge, Very thin, Bloated stomach, Very soft diarrhea like poop
Brown liquid around anus, Matted, Dirty back end

~Treatment so far~
-Endoflaxin (did nothing)

~My questions~
Will she get better at this age with treatment? What could be going on? I have some ideas… Is she in pain/suffering? (Photos from when we got her, doesn’t even show how bad she looked)
Bloated stomach and diarrhea make me think first of hepatic coccidiosis. The respiratory issues could very well be another issue layered on top, but I've seen rabbits get runny noses/weepy eyes/drooling from various stressors that were not pasteurellosis.

If she's 6-7 years old and moved to a new home, she may have succumbed to a few things due to the stress of the move.

If an animal is trying to live, I usually let it keep trying - the ones that want to die do so anyway, but we've had so many animals make it through what others told us was impossible. I would try putting her on Corid (dosage of 2 tsp/gallon for the first day, 1 tsp/gallon for the next 6-7 days, mixed fresh each day) to address possible coccidiosis, and clean her backside so she's not ingesting more pathogens when/if she tries to get herself clean; keep her cage very clean for the same reason. I'd support her nutritionally with Critical Care Herbivore as well as Benebac or another probiotic, especially since she's already been on an antibiotic which will have impacted her gut flora, and unlimited clean hay. Keep track of her weight and see if there is an improvement before trying another med (I'd give it a week to see results from the Corid)

While she's sick she can certainly spread who knows what to other rabbits. But even if she's battling pasteurellosis, some estimates say that the huge majority of rabbits have already been exposed to pasteurella organisms. Some become symptomatic due to genetic predisposition and/or environmental stresses, others live their lives without ever having problems.

Last edited:
So you have had her for a month. Was she healthy when you got her? She is an older gal so perhaps dispatch before you get more attached. I would never let her be around my other rabbits. Sorry you have to deal wtih this. Every day is a learning day. Best of luck.
No she wasn’t healthy when I got her (she was a rescue)

Bloated stomach and diarrhea make me think first of hepatic coccidiosis. The respiratory issues could very well be another issue layered on top, but I've seen rabbits get runny noses/weepy eyes/drooling from various stressors that were not pasteurellosis.

If she's 6-7 years old and moved to a new home, she may have succumbed to a few things due to the stress of the move.

If an animal is trying to live, I usually let it keep trying - the ones that want to die do so anyway, but we've had so many animals make it through what others told us was impossible. I would try putting her on Corid (dosage of 2 tsp/gallon for the first day, 1 tsp/gallon for the next 6-7 days, mixed fresh each day) to address possible coccidiosis, and clean her backside so she's not ingesting more pathogens when/if she tries to get herself clean; keep her cage very clean for the same reason. I'd support her nutritionally with Critical Care Herbivore as well as Benebac or another probiotic, especially since she's already been on an antibiotic which will have impacted her gut flora, and unlimited clean hay. Keep track of her weight and see if there is an improvement before trying another med (I'd give it a week to see results from the Corid)

While she's sick she can certainly spread who knows what to other rabbits. But even if she's battling pasteurellosis, some estimates say that the huge majority of rabbits have already been exposed to pasteurella organisms. Some become symptomatic due to genetic predisposition and/or environmental stresses, others live their lives without ever having problems.
Thank you! Going to see if this helps. My concern is she’s going to get everyone sick 😩

Latest posts

Back