Rabbit Tractor question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be building a rabbit tractor soon. I was thinking of putting 1x2 cage wire on the bottom. Has anyone else tried that? Where the rabbits able to eat through it ok? I'm guessing they probably will since I have hay racks made out of it. I'm just curious if anyone has actually tried it in the bottom of a rabbit tractor. I'm a bit leery of having the bottom open for fear something will break into it.

I Have one tractor that is open on the bottom and so far havent had any signs of trying to escape. My other tractor has the farm fence type wire on the bottom. I think it 2x3 in. it works great. Its plenty big enough for grass and weeds to get through and small enough that they cant dig out. I havent tried anything smaller.

I Have one tractor that is open on the bottom and so far havent had any signs of trying to escape. My other tractor has the farm fence type wire on the bottom. I think it 2x3 in. it works great. Its plenty big enough for grass and weeds to get through and small enough that they cant dig out. I havent tried anything smaller.

I wasn't worried about a rabbit getting out so much as something tipping the tractor over and getting to the rabbits. I do have some 2x4 fence wire. I may use that.

Thank you for the reply!

We've tractored rabbits for 2 years now, have lost only one or two to something pulling the J-feeders off the front and the rabbits then getting out and disappearing (their cage-mates were caught by us the next morning). Sides are heavy-duty 1/2" hardware cloth, because raccoons can reach through anything coarser. We use panels of "wire decking" for pallet racks as the bottoms and tops. For the bottoms, we take out some of the cross wires so that the holes are around 2" x 6". Tops have feed sacks for shade/weather protection (need to replaced every few months, but luckily we have a limitless supply) covered by more hardware cloth.

We find that pregnant does will definitely dig. Even with the 2" spacing, on rare occasion a freshly weaned kit will squeeze out when the tractor is parked over uneven ground. Still, we're big fans of tractoring!

Latest posts

Back