Rabbit Shows

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
Has any one been to either the October rabbit show in Alexandria or Opelousas La. I was wondering how big they were and if either show was worth attending. If not what is the closest show to southwest LA. that I should attend. I am mainly interested in meat breeds and in purchasing some good breeding stock.
Thanks, Tommy

Both are rumored to be really decent shows. The Opelousas show is supposed to be run a bit different than the rest of the shows in the state. My biggest obstacle in going to either one is that they fall awfully close to the ARBA convention in terms of timing, and my funding is going to be limited because of it. If I had to choose one or the other club show, it would be Opelousas.

I am planning on being at one if not both. I won't be showing unless I decide to bring one or both of my Florida White does that missed on their first breedings. I bred Clover (FW) to Monarch (FW) the evening before the dogs attacked the rabbitry. I *think* she is palpating positive. Fingers crossed.for Florida White kits in about 14 days!!!

Thanks SatinsRule and 6rivers for the information. I will attend one of the shows for sure and maybe both. I need to figure out what breed I would like to concentrate on. I only want to breed rabbits for my own consumption so I don't want more than maybe three or four does and a couple of bucks and that is only until I figure out what breed I want.
I have two does now and one buck. I don't know the background on any of my rabbits. One doe has Dutch markings, the other doe is a Broken Black Rex but she is having trouble with sore hocks. My buck is a Californian, probably mixed.
Both does will eventually be culled.
6rivers I would sure like to see some Florida Whites, they sound like nice meat rabbits, maybe we can get together at one of the shows.
It would be great if we could have a Rabbit Talk get together.

Beekeeper10, you'll like the FWs. Mine are really easy to handle, even the one that hates being picked up settles immediately.

6riversfarms":de0geyhs said:
I am planning on being at one if not both. I won't be showing unless I decide to bring one or both of my Florida White does that missed on their first breedings. I bred Clover (FW) to Monarch (FW) the evening before the dogs attacked the rabbitry. I *think* she is palpating positive. Fingers crossed.for Florida White kits in about 14 days!!!

If you don't go there already, a show you may want to add to your calendar is usually held every February in Collins, MS, and it's hosted by the Magnolia State RBA. Collins is located a little over an hour south of Jackson, MS, about half way between Jackson and Hattiesburg.

Beekeeper10":de0geyhs said:
Thanks SatinsRule and 6rivers for the information. I will attend one of the shows for sure and maybe both. I need to figure out what breed I would like to concentrate on. I only want to breed rabbits for my own consumption so I don't want more than maybe three or four does and a couple of bucks and that is only until I figure out what breed I want.
I have two does now and one buck. I don't know the background on any of my rabbits. One doe has Dutch markings, the other doe is a Broken Black Rex but she is having trouble with sore hocks. My buck is a Californian, probably mixed.
Both does will eventually be culled.
6rivers I would sure like to see some Florida Whites, they sound like nice meat rabbits, maybe we can get together at one of the shows.
It would be great if we could have a Rabbit Talk get together.

I always tell everyone to attend a show and give it a chance. Most breeders who go to them end up actually liking what they see. Yes, there are politics involved, and yes sometimes the judges make calls that make absolutely no sense in the grand scheme of things, but it's usually a good way to gauge where you're at in your operation while meeting and socializing with people who have similar interests as you. I started going in 1978 at the ripe old age of 13, and the showroom never left my blood. Whether it was a local county fair or state fair, or a local club show in Anchorage, AK (yes, I actually attended one in the Northway Mall in Anchorage while I was stationed up there and had no rabbits at the time) I always enjoyed attending one, even though some of the people there probably thought I was a bit off my rocker when I tried talking to them.

Beekeeper10":3rtnr54t said:
the other doe is a Broken Black Rex but she is having trouble with sore hocks.

This is a serious problem in the breed, and Rexes take longer to get to fryer size than the other meat breeds. Keep that in mind when choosing your breeds.

I have never been to a rabbit show. I have only had rabbits since April, I have a lot to learn.
Thanks SatinsRule for the suggestion on the Mississippi show. February is a good month for me, after deer season and before I get busy with bees.
Thanks 3mina, I like what I have heard about Florida Whites.
skysthelimit, I am beginning to think you are right about Rex's. It might be just the one I have but if she was not so sweet she would have already been culled. It is going to be a bad day when I have to cull her. :(
Thanks everybody, What a great bunch of people. :)

Beekeeper10":3bkxyd03 said:
I have never been to a rabbit show. I have only had rabbits since April, I have a lot to learn.
Thanks SatinsRule for the suggestion on the Mississippi show. February is a good month for me, after deer season and before I get busy with bees.
skysthelimit, I am beginning to think you are right about Rex's. It might be just the one I have but if she was not so sweet she would have already been culled. It is going to be a bad day when I have to cull her. :(

Most of my Rex have sore hocks (they have resting boards), and they are not all from the same breeder. I'm going to have a fine time breeding that out. My mini rexes too. To get the plush soft coat, the fur is not as dense, and the foot not as well furred. A more well furred foot means coarser fur.

skysthelimit":lyrwdy0j said:
Most of my Rex have sore hocks

My senior Rex have hair loss on their hocks too, but they aren't bleeding all over the cage, or infected... just small spots of hairless, calloused skin. They don't seem to be adversely affected at all. Are your Rex suffering from a more advanced condition?

skysthelimit":3lor5j6d said:
Beekeeper10":3lor5j6d said:

Most of my Rex have sore hocks (they have resting boards), and they are not all from the same breeder. I'm going to have a fine time breeding that out. My mini rexes too. To get the plush soft coat, the fur is not as dense, and the foot not as well furred. A more well furred foot means coarser fur.

You may not need to "breed it out". Get some neosporin and some BluKote and treat them from time to time. I have a cal satin buck that I treat for it from time to time and it's worked pretty well. Also, the gauge wire on the floor of your cages may be the culprit. A lighter gauge wire on the floor has too much give and doesn't provide the proper support.

My Rex doe hocks have large red spots on the bottom and she also has red spots on her front feet between her pads. They are not bleeding but you can tell they are real sore because she does not want to move much. She pretty much stays on her resting board so much so that when she poops she does not want to move and ends up getting dirty. I have been washing her up about every week and using neosporin on her spots every day but I might just be making the spots more tender. I noticed the problem about 3 weeks ago when I weened her kits and I have not made any progress in clearing it up. She seems to be in good health otherwise but she does seem to be a lot of pain. Do you all think BluKote would help toughen up her feet.
The wire floor on my cages are made with 1/2 X 1 inch 16 gauge wire. That could be some of the problem, might have to try an reinforce the bottom. I am moving my cages around this weekend. Could I use some angle iron to stiffen the bottom on her cage?

Thanks, Tommy

Latest posts

Back