Rabbit Show vs. Horse Shows

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Alrighty, I've done the horse shows...now not as often although I still ride....but I really didn't like how people either had $$$ or didn't. I have maybe met one trainer that was concerned more with talent than the money the rider had. I know that snobs are out there no matter what, but do you think that people at rabbit shows have more of a laid back tendency? I think other fellow equestrian will get what I'm saying about the horse world....I feel like a good amount act like they are above others and it's sad in a way. If you can't afford a $20,000 dollar horse you're not regarded as much. I showed up with a pony Appy X Halflinger cross I'm working with getting sold for this awesome barn owner and people sneered until he did great while I schooled him along with another trainer. I had a lady walk up to me and say," He doesn't look like the other ponies here..." He's a chunky,but adorable little guy :) Since then I left the show world to work more on school,work, and natural horsemanship :) What do you guys think of the rabbit show world?

I am going to say that as a rule... most rabbit show people are really nice. Most...probably not all. Most of us love talking anout rabbits in general, 'our' breed in particular.

There are the usual some who are less friendly. Some that is their normal personality. Some are very intense when preparing the rabbits to go on the table. ( Especially those with the wool breeds ! yikes !!! :p ) There will be those whose feet do not touch the same ground that us mere mortals walk on... i tend to steer clear of them. And there will be the very knowledgable ones who will take the time to explain the tiny details of their breed...when they are not in the middle of showing or preparing to show.

It is only a theory of mine, that possibly due to the fact that the finances of rabbits and showing rabbits is a Lot less than say horses or dogs... there is a lot less snootyness in the rabbit world.

So, tho we are a strange and varied bunch... the people that show rabbits are just like everybody else in the world....( only better :mrgreen: )

About the only thing rabbit people will get their shorts in a bunch about is if you bring a sick or sneezing rabbit to a show. Other than that they are all pretty laid back and very very casual! In fact I sometimes wish some of the rabbit breeders would actually NOT wear their PJ's to the show and look a teeny weeny bit more presentable!!! :)

Rabbit shows are a bit better but any animal judged on appearance is going to get you some of the same attitudes and money differences. I much prefer performance sports because then the timer or your mistakes (knocking a jump in both dogs or horses) determine how you did and whether those things happen depends on if you worked with your animals, put in the time, etc... You can go buy an expensive barrel horse but it won't run well for you unless you learn to do barrels right and then learn the horse. Most people train their own performance horse or dog because you just can't go buy one and get the same level out of it. Unfortunately with rabbits there are minimal opportunities that judge on something other than who bought the best animal and who's breeding to the latest trend the same as with all other animal classes judged on appearance. Of course if you put in the research, time, and a little luck you can get rabbits that are just as good for a lot less money but those with money will always have an advantage and things judged on looks will always follow trends with people getting upset at those that don't follow the trends.

Lately it seems that my state in particular has thrown itself into a spiraling center of drama. It wasn't always that way, but it seems very cliquey nowadays.

Rewind a few years. Rabbit shows were FUN! Sure, a lot of rabbit people seem a little "off", but really, its a wonderful group of people. I miss the old days very, VERY much, but the majority of exhibitors who aged out around the same time I did moved on, sold out of rabbits, and now the friend-pool is much smaller. That's my personal experience.

If you're new and make a good name for yourself, keep your nose out of trouble, and not step one toe out of line, you're good to go. Reputation is EVERYTHING in the rabbit show world and very rarely forgiving.

I agree with the thoughts already posted above. The shows here are overall pretty laid back compared to the horse and dog shows. You can dress how you like, a lot of people love to talk rabbits, and you never know who you will get a chance to meet. Our shows are triples so we are pretty much in one building all day long and judges + experienced breeders are a great resource. At the last show I ended up in the lunch line behind Mike Avesing (ARBA president) and had a great conversation with him about Harlequins among other topics. I felt very fortunate to have been able to discuss my breed with him.

But like they said above, you get into judging animals and you are still going to find people talking about other people, being disgusted with the judge's decision, or having drama over one thing or another. Just part of the whole animal show thing IMHO. If you are polite/respectful, ask questions, have rabbits that meet the SOP, and are a good sport then you should be fine. Just a word of caution to you about your chosen breeds- Mini Lops and Holland Lops are very competitive in our area.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Cattle Cait":27znc918 said:
Lately it seems that my state in particular has thrown itself into a spiraling center of drama. It wasn't always that way, but it seems very cliquey nowadays.

Rewind a few years. Rabbit shows were FUN! Sure, a lot of rabbit people seem a little "off", but really, its a wonderful group of people. I miss the old days very, VERY much, but the majority of exhibitors who aged out around the same time I did moved on, sold out of rabbits, and now the friend-pool is much smaller. That's my personal experience.

If you're new and make a good name for yourself, keep your nose out of trouble, and not step one toe out of line, you're good to go. Reputation is EVERYTHING in the rabbit show world and very rarely forgiving.

Cait, start mingling with the adult breeders at the shows. You'll likely be learning things you never dreamed you'd learn from them. That stuff will stick with you the rest of your life.

The funny thing about life is that it does not slow down and wait on any of us. If you're not careful, it will pass you by before you ever realize it. You're going to be an important influence and link to other breeders in the future. That will be a big part of what links the past to the present and future, but it's important that the link be as strong as it can be. Building and strengthening that link will occur as you glean whatever knowledge you can get from the established breeders of today whom you get to know, then apply it toward improving your operation.

I'm one of the lucky few today in the Satin world who can honestly say he's met and talked at length with a Satin world pioneer named Pete Naylor. Most modern day breeders never had that chance and don't know who he is. Ask any of the long-termers like Al Lunde, Butch Peifer, Gary Mohr, Tom Little, Connall Addison and others who knew Mr. Naylor and his wife Alice, and they'll tell you that the breed likely never would have made it without his contributions. The same could also be said of the people I just named, as well as many others whom I didn't list.

One person in the Palomino arena I'd try and get to know if you haven't already is Sharon Pelham. You'll realize in 20 or so years how neat it was to know her and be able to brag about having the chance to do so.

You're doing very well. Keep your chin up.

Cattle Cait":1egk4j8h said:

Kind of the opposite in the dog world. Seems like you have to be flashy, notorious and evil to get a leg up. The snottier you are the more you are respected.

I so hope it's different at Rabbit shows.

skysthelimit":a4nin8r0 said:
Kind of the opposite in the dog world. Seems like you have to be flashy, notorious and evil to get a leg up. The snottier you are the more you are respected.

I so hope it's different at Rabbit shows.

I can honestly say it's all what you make of it. Often times, it starts with you and not other breeders.

I didn't know what to think of Stephanie Bradley when I first met her at a show roughly 3 decades ago. All I really knew was that she had some darn nice rabbits, ranging from Mini Lops to Satins. I went out on a limb and made the move to get to know her and as it turned out, I'm still friends with her today.

There's an old saying which states, "Go out on a limb. That's where you're likely to find the best fruit." It's so true.

I'm really excited to find about more about this new crowd and thanks Hendricks! Hollands might be something in the future,but the BEW Minis are going to be my focus :) I think I'm really going to love the fact that others love rabbits equally as much as I do. I think my biggest goal is just to try to develop some brownie points with some other Mini breeders because I really want to work on and eventually bring some show quality BEWs to the show table. Nervous and excited all at once! I feel like so many people have 4-H backgrounds and they just seem to know so much. Are clinics ever held to build a better eye? I normally go to other breeder sites and look at their rabbits...just sucks to look at my BEW right after and see all the imperfections sometimes lol I think sometimes I get confused about "slipped crowns" and "pinched ears" are they the same thing or different?

Hi Peach... so great to have another breeder so close to my area. Eventhough we obviously work with different breeds (Im all about ELops) its good none-the-less. As Im sure you already know, Lauren @Hendricks Hearth is a wonderful local "mini" breeder and has a wealth of information so its good to pick her brain if she lets ya. The rabbit show world is just wonderful, imo. I have yet to attend any show where I wasnt welcomed and didnt have a blast. Its not always perfect though (the last show I was at the judge took a phone call while in the process of judging my doe... now that was a bit frustrating), but overall, its wonderful and you have to take everything in stride. Hope to see you at a show soon. :)

I was like 98% sold on almost getting this super gorgeous Jr. black buck Elop today. The temptation was brutal. Not sure how long I will resist before I get a breeding pair of my own haha Everyone was so helpful and knowledgeable! I'm so glad Lauren can put up with my questions :D So glad to have bought two nice quality does today :) Let's hope I can get myself a lovely buck soon ;)

I think most rabbit breeders are friendly and willing too answer questions.unless we actuallly have our rabbit on the table of course thats not the time too ask questions.we love too talk rabbits.

Back