Rabbit seemed healthy, then 24 hours later, she was dead.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwolff644

Reaction score
I had a flemish die on me tonight. She was only about 2-3 months old. I got her about 10 days ago. She seemed healthy. We put her in the only available hutch. It's previous resident had died from something. See this post: infectious-disease-that-causes-lethargy-t25862.html . I was under the impression my girlfriend had bleached the hutch. She thought I did.

Last night, the rabbit seemed fine. I checked on her around nine this morning, she was lethargic. I went to the store, bought oxytetracline, and gave her a .2 cc injection, based off information I found online. I checked her again at 3 before I left for work. When I got home at 8:30 she was dead, and a bit of rigor had already set in. I did a necropsy, but don't know what to look for. I did notice mucus on her nose, and as I moved her some brownish liquid came out of her mouth and nose. It's included in the pictures.

I'd appreciate any insight into this. It's claimed 3 of my rabbits so far. As someone just starting out, this is horribly discouraging. If I don't figure it out, I'm strongly considering selling my rabbits. It's not fair to them otherwise.

Attachments

• 11889093_10153419300911655_139057062_o.jpg
    11889093_10153419300911655_139057062_o.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 20150819_205608.jpg
    20150819_205608.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 370
  • 20150819_205627.jpg
    20150819_205627.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 370
The lungs don't look normal to me. I'd guess some kind of respiratory illness. Probably what claimed your other rabbits.

When a rabbit dies -- especially of unknown illness -- it is vital to disinfect the cage and then put it out in the sun for several days so that the UV can do its work.

I suggest you do not buy any more rabbits until this condition is under control. Rabbits brought into a situation with a current disease are at great risk of contracting that illness, since they probably lack the resistance to "family germs" and are especially at risk due to the stresses that accompany moving to a new home.

I can and have disinfected it. Unfortunately, The design of the cage doesn't allow for me to put it into the sun. It's a 4 stall, wooden cage with fully enclosed wooden hutches on the sides. I'm working on building some all wire cages in an inside area for them, but until they are done, I can't move them.

For a respiratory infection/illness, is there anything I can give them? Either preventative or if one of my other rabbits somehow comes down with it?

I give them netle and lemon balm for boosting their immune system. The best thing is purple coneflower, but my plants got eaten by snails..

I would suggest getting rid of the mostly wood cage. Bacteria and disease can, and will, hide in the wood and they are hard to get clean. Go with metal, pvc, even plastic is better than wood. I don't know your purpose for raising rabbits, meat, fur, pet?

Personally all my buns are on wire, safe, easy to clean and disinfect, and allows for lots of air flow.

My cages are 4 foot long and I used pvc pipes to reinforce the bottom. No sagging.
I raise NZWs both of my does are just about 9lbs a piece and growing. A small fry compared to the FG but no light weight :lol: :lol:

Sorry for the loss though. Hope this helps.

I'm actually rigging up an all wire cage setup in my basement. Once it's complete the wooden cage goes to the fire pit.

Latest posts

Back