Rabbit sausages anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_francis

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made rabbit sausages?

Do you have a recipe you could share?

How long did they keep and did the flavor improve with time?

You need a good grinder, preferably electric, to make rabbit sausage, but it certainly should be tasty. I've seen lots of recipes online, but my grinder was manual and it soon got gummed up with the membrane on the rabbit pieces when I tried to mince the meat.

Okay. Now I know what I'm going to do with all the kits that we're going to have in a few months. Smoked rabbit sausage. We have almost 50lbs of pork sausage from the pig we got, and Mike is building a smoker. :bananadance2:<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:41 am __________<br /><br />Easy, but tasty sounding:
3-lbs rabbit meat
1-tsp salt
1/2-tsp freshly ground white pepper
1/2-tsp ground black pepper
1/2-tsp thyme
1/2-tsp freshly grated ginger
2-tbsp chopped fresh chives
2-tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Combine all ingredients; mix well and stuff into hog casings.
Age 2 days before cooking as you would pork sausage

Here's one with pork sausage:
2 1/2 lbs rabbit, ground
1 1/4 lbs pork, ground
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

process as the first one.

I think I'll give the first one a shot...I like ginger a lot.

Don't know about grinding it before it is cooked, it sounds great.

But if you grind it after it is cooked.... it is horrid....at least what I tried was. I ground some saddle meat that was old, and therefore sort of tough an stringy. It had a good flavor before I ground it. I had read about someone else grinding it up, and thought it might be good. It bore a terrific resemblance to sawdust. I tried to moisten it with juice, make it into a salad, a number of things but I couldn't find anything posing as edible.

I would assume that you can smoke the sausages, too. At least, that's what I'm going to try.

sheesh. All I've got are HUGE bratwurst type casings. well...so I grind up THREE bunnies.

Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum,
I smell the blood of an ENGlish Bun.
Be he here, or hiding in the...er... moss-age,
I'll grind his ..um...meat
to make my SAUSAGE!

In the dawn <snap..snap> of the evening <snap..snap>
I was there <snap..snap> with my beat <snap..snap>
Time was mine <snap..snap> mine alone <snap..snap>
It's all good <snap..snap> and all bad <snap..snap>
In the dawn <snap..snap> of the evening. <thump>

;)

I wonder where I put my red french beret....I used to have (well, still do) long STRAIGHT dark hair which would have been perfect in the 50s for the coffee houses and the whole scene. I was always much more drawn to that than to the rock and roll.

Here's another rabbit sausage recipe that I've used in the past when I had rabbits....back in the '70's....It's intended to be used as patties, and makes wonderful noon lunches on a fresh, home-made hamburger bun:

16 pounds twice ground rabbit meat;
4 pounds twice ground bacon ends and pieces;
1 cup Mortons sausage seasoning (adjust this amount to your liking)
Mix thoroughly and refrigerate at least overnight...24 - 36 hours is better.
Make into burger sized patties, fry and enjoy. (Can also freeze the fresh patties.

Very good.

I tried this (pulled shamelessly from HT) and it's DELICIOUS. I'm making some from rabbit this afternoon. I expect it to be slightly less strong (venison DOES have a distinct flavor), so I'll add more red pepper perhaps to 1/2 batch.

Since Venison and rabbit are pretty equal in the fat department, I think it should translate well.

You will need a ratio of 1 1/2 lbs. of ground venison to 1/2 pounds ground pork fat or cheap bacon. Or 1 1/3 lbs. ground venison to 2/3 pounds ground fat or bacon for those who like a little more fat in their sausage.

2# ground meat.
2 tsp. Dried Sage.
2 tsp. Salt.
1 tsp. Gr. Black Pepper.
1/4 tsp. Dried Marjoram
1 tblsp. Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper flakes
1 Pinch Ground Cloves.

In a glass bowl mix all the ingredients into the meat and mix well. Cover the bowl with Saran Wrap and place in refrigerator overnight. Next morning mix well again before patting out patties and frying.

By adding some liquid to it, it gets nicely squishy and would go into casings well, I think. My plan is to try adding maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. :D otherwise, water would work well.

Anntann":37zqfg98 said:
I tried this (pulled shamelessly from HT) and it's DELICIOUS. I'm making some from rabbit this afternoon. I expect it to be slightly less strong (venison DOES have a distinct flavor), so I'll add more red pepper perhaps to 1/2 batch.

Since Venison and rabbit are pretty equal in the fat department, I think it should translate well.

You will need a ratio of 1 1/2 lbs. of ground venison to 1/2 pounds ground pork fat or cheap bacon. Or 1 1/3 lbs. ground venison to 2/3 pounds ground fat or bacon for those who like a little more fat in their sausage.

2# ground meat.
2 tsp. Dried Sage.
2 tsp. Salt.
1 tsp. Gr. Black Pepper.
1/4 tsp. Dried Marjoram
1 tblsp. Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper flakes
1 Pinch Ground Cloves.

In a glass bowl mix all the ingredients into the meat and mix well. Cover the bowl with Saran Wrap and place in refrigerator overnight. Next morning mix well again before patting out patties and frying.

By adding some liquid to it, it gets nicely squishy and would go into casings well, I think. My plan is to try adding maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. :D otherwise, water would work well.

using actual bacon doesnt give the sausage that all to familiar "bacon" smell/flavor??

It does flavor it a bit differently. Although what you're using is the really cheap stuff, so it's not a LOT of flavor anyway. This batch I did with ground pork sausage/fat (we have a LOT of it in the freezer from this last hog)so I got the more delicate flavor from the pork to mix with the game.

and ya know..there's just something about the flavor of LARD :razz:

yes maam....god bless the Lard. lol. i figured you had to use some type of fat. cause there is no fat at all on a meat rabbit fryer. and very little on a grown rabbit if fed correctly. i know when we make venison sausage we have to add pork fat, b/c of the lack of fat in a deer.

Latest posts

Back