Rabbit puling fur in middle of pregnancy..?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelsGirl

Reaction score
I am new here and I hope this is where this question belongs :)

We have a doe who we bred 2 weeks ago. But before that a buck escaped, and might have bred her. First off, she is pulling fur, making a nest, and grunting more than usual. Why is she doing this in the middle of her pregnancy? Or was she bred twice? but i don't get how she could be successfully bred twice if she just got bred..

(sorry if this doesn't make sense, still waking up :roll: )

she could have been bred twice. from what I've read they have two horns in their uterus and can carry two different litters. I don't think it's a good thing. Somebody with more knowledge will chip in soon. Good luck with your doe. Did you give her a nestbox?

As bbco says, give her a nestbox just to be safe. Three things could be going on here.

1. She became pregnant by the escapee buck.
2. She became pregnant by the escapee buck, and pregnant with the second breeding as well. (Not good- we will hope not!)
3. She didn't take from either breeding, and is having a false pregnancy from breeding #2.

Good luck- hoping for a successful litter for you!

BoundaryBunnyCo. is correct. Rabbits do have two uterine horns and are able to carry two different litters. It is also correct that it generally isn't a good thing. When the older litter is born, the younger litter will usually die.

Does who are going through a false pregnancy, usually start pulling fur around 2 weeks... But if she has been bred prior to the buck escaping, then it is very possible that she is actually pregnant.

Scoop up the nest she made, as well as any fur, and put it into the nest box immediately. Many times does pull several days prior to kindling, others pull the day before or the day of.

Did you keep a record of when she was breed?

I'm hoping my post will bump this thread to receive more intuition from the savvier members.

She may just be pulling early, it all depends on the doe. Most pull a day before or the day of (or some procrastinating girls pull during and after they are giving birth). There's those rare ones that start pulling at two or three weeks, just being well prepared maybe?

boundarybunnyco":uakgqrog said:
she could have been bred twice. from what I've read they have two horns in their uterus and can carry two different litters. I don't think it's a good thing. Somebody with more knowledge will chip in soon. Good luck with your doe. Did you give her a nestbox?

I gave her a nesting box, yes :)

__________ Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am __________

Pink":uakgqrog said:
BoundaryBunnyCo. is correct. Rabbits do have two uterine horns and are able to carry two different litters. It is also correct that it generally isn't a good thing. When the older litter is born, the younger litter will usually die.

Does who are going through a false pregnancy, usually start pulling fur around 2 weeks... But if she has been bred prior to the buck escaping, then it is very possible that she is actually pregnant.

Scoop up the nest she made, as well as any fur, and put it into the nest box immediately. Many times does pull several days prior to kindling, others pull the day before or the day of.

Did you keep a record of when she was breed?

I'm hoping my post will bump this thread to receive more intuition from the savvier members.

I am not really worried about the litter dying, but more about Angel dying. :)
I put all the fur into the box, so will it be okay bc my scent got on it?
I do have a record and now would be the time to kindle if she were bred :mbounce:<br /><br />__________ Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 am __________<br /><br />
Cattle Cait":uakgqrog said:
She may just be pulling early, it all depends on the doe. Most pull a day before or the day of (or some procrastinating girls pull during and after they are giving birth). There's those rare ones that start pulling at two or three weeks, just being well prepared maybe?

Do they pull at the same time for each kindle? Bc her first time she pulled right before she gave birth :)

AngelsGirl":2zuiwq79 said:

It shouldn't be a problem. Many members even collect excess fur from an other dam, for future litters, just in case she doesn't pull enough. Rabbits aren't like other animals -- they spend very little time fussing over their babies. The fur will smell like the dam and it's babies in no time.

Sending the best of blessings to angel and her kits! :love: Praying that everything will go smoothly!

AngelsGirl":2o2k2wn8 said:
Do they pull at the same time for each kindle?

Unfortunately, no. I could always predict that my does would kindle within a few hours or the next day at the latest if I saw them pulling fur, but these last few litters the does all pulled fur days ahead of time! I was hoping that even though all does would have their own nesting "style" they would be consistent in their behavior after the first time or two, but that hasn't been the case.

Pink":2ka7m27f said:
AngelsGirl":2ka7m27f said:

It shouldn't be a problem. Many members even collect excess fur from an other dam, for future litters, just in case she doesn't pull enough. Rabbits aren't like other animals -- they spend very little time fussing over their babies. The fur will smell like the dam and it's babies in no time.

Sending the best of blessings to angel and her kits! :love: Praying that everything will go smoothly!

They do? Wow! I guess we learn something new everyday! :D
I hope she does good too, but i will admit i wasn't expecting kits from her this early as we have another doe due today, and we wouldn't have room for them if she did. But hopefully everything works out! :)<br /><br />__________ Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2ka7m27f said:
AngelsGirl":2ka7m27f said:
Do they pull at the same time for each kindle?

Unfortunately, no. I could always predict that my does would kindle within a few hours or the next day at the latest if I saw them pulling fur, but these last few litters the does all pulled fur days ahead of time! I was hoping that even though all does would have their own nesting "style" they would be consistent in their behavior after the first time or two, but that hasn't been the case.

But would they pull two weeks early? :?:

AngelsGirl":24art7ru said:
But would they pull two weeks early? :?:

Mine haven't. If she were one of mine, I would think the escaped buck bred her.

The false pregnancy would make sense bc she is always having false pregnancy... :?<br /><br />__________ Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 pm __________<br /><br />gallery/album.php?album_id=108

the pictures of fur in a box is how much fur Angel is pulling. And Angel is the Albino Doe :)

Latest posts

Back