Rabbit proof floor in colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that breeding broken to broken means you'll end up with 25% chance of homozygote broken (i.e. broken gene form both parents) also known as a "charlie" and that can/will go together with a genetic condition known as megacolon that will kill them. It is why i don't want broken genetics in my barn, with few rabbits and space i don't want to end up having to make such crosses.

Keep in mind that breeding broken to broken means you'll end up with 25% chance of homozygote broken (i.e. broken gene form both parents) also known as a "charlie" and that can/will go together with a genetic condition known as megacolon that will kill them. It is why i don't want broken genetics in my barn, with few rabbits and space i don't want to end up having to make such crosses.
Thanks for the reminder. I do have extra with rabbits, just been out of them for a while.
I'm not planning on breeding to the brothers anyway so that's not a problem.

They are decent sized. The rabbits were supposed to just be pets for the kids. Guy at the auction "he knows rabbits" sexed them and they were supposed to all be female so they were all in one hutch. Until he got a call from his wife that the hutch had a nest of babies and the rabbits were fighting... haha, well they weren't fighting... So the doe has another litter now. The two others were actually both bucks.
So now they have the Cali buck, the agouti doe, and sold the other buck. They are good sized. Not commercial type or size but not bad for mutts.

Broken doe, maybe gold tip steel, 2# 5.6oz

Broken doe, more reddish agouti, 2# 3.4oz

Solid male, agouti, maybe split penis, 2# 5.4oz

Broken male, maybe gold tip steel, 2# 3.8oz

There was two more does in the litter. So assuming their weights are close (and they were the same size) that puts the litter of 6 at 13.5# total at 8wks old.

Neighbor is going to let me know about the other litter. If no one is buying them I'll buy them too. Not bad for $5 a rabbit.
I'm going to check the solid male again after a while. It was getting dark so not the best time. But it wasn't the definitive penis like the other one. If I get this litter I'll ask if I can check the buck for split penis. If they do show it then I won't keep any. I'll just keep feeding them out for dog food. Til I find some to buy for breeding.

Back