Rabbit names

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Della.24

Reaction score
I am struggling to come up with names for my rabbits...

Does anyone have any ideas what they wanted to call their rabbit but didn't use that name... or what are your rabbits called...

My rabbits are called so far
- willow
-Romeo
- Hazel
- midnight and star

Attachments

• 20231205_153124.jpg
    20231205_153124.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231205_152911.jpg
    20231205_152911.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231205_153003.jpg
    20231205_153003.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Anything from coat colors to other animals with those color names to versions of where they came from , ...
blauw (blue otter), dal (dalmation), cas (castor), harli (harlequin). Ploem (adaptation of sellers name), and so on.
Pretty much just keep notes when you come across names that sound interesting.

Personality or physical characteristics: Lady Gray, Lucky Lady, Chewie, Bucky.
Love these names! 😊 I have a Lady Grey too, and my bunnies are (mostly) all named after tea/drinks. Butterbeer, London Fog, and someday I hope to keep a buck from Lady Grey and call him Earl. 😂

Pic is of Butterbeer sleeping.

Attachments

• A0519472-A1A6-43C9-ABBE-39E118495713.jpeg
    A0519472-A1A6-43C9-ABBE-39E118495713.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm so bad with giving names, it sometimes takes years. I go by character too, or other things...
Like stereotypes linked with names.

Red, Dotty, Dicker (fatty) well, that's their appearance. My first buck had a lot of NZ blood in him which made him look much more stocky than my other rabbits, hence the name, he wasn't that fat.
Dotty because she's a broken and has dots on her forehead that made her easily distiguishable from her siblings, she's my second free roam house bunny and cuddlebun for my buck.
Red, well, that's her colour, mostly. A shy girl, daughter and living partner of Fury. when I need to handle her biting is her stress relieve. She's 10 now, and needs some attention, plucking fur when shedding, putting eye drops in her blind right eye, and this summer butt baths and fur trimming was necessary. After Fury died this year I keep all my 4 does (and 2 doelings that need to go soon) together.

Herr Hase (Mr. Bunny) was my second buck, first intentional free roam house bunny. I call my rabbits with "Hase Komm!", and they come running, so it was what I used anyway. He devreloped a crippling spine issue, only bunny I had "put to sleep" , stillk somewhat traumatized because I feel like I failed caring to the best of possibilities (found out later that Meloxicam needs a MUCH higher dose than my vet thinks).

Magda, well, for a long time she was "the gray", but her character was reminded me of a farmgirl, or maidservant (Magd in german). Docile, stubborn but content.

Fury, Die Schwarze, well, she almost succeded in killing me twice and destroyed my apartment when she was in Myxo quarentine for 8 months, was the most Alpha I ever met, other rabbits, dogs, cats - all no match.

Chantal, well, I'm not sure if that name holds the same connotation as it does in german, not too bright, somewhat slutty, but likeable. There was pretty successfull german movie, "Fuck you Göthe" that cemented that stereotype. And it does fit her personality perfectly, not too smart, but she managed to get pregnant without my consent more often than any other, well, except Fury, but she was a breeding doe for 7 years, Chantal developed problems (EC) at 5 and is retired now.

Ruth. Well, I couldn't decide on a name for a long time and just called her "Mausi" because she's partly agouti and that's just a generic pet name. There is a retired Teacher in my village, a very nice lady, that everyone calls "Mausi". Most here do not know her real name. I let my rabbits roam free outside the fence sometimes, and when calling them home one day in a neighbours yard the wrong Mausi responded. Her real name, that nobody uses, is Ruth. The quite similiar positive character traits (friendly, uncomplicated) made that name swap easy.

My current herd buck, free roaming my house and front yard with Dotty now, is Pacino, after Scarface, when he was young his nose looked awful, I thought it was he stuck ninto the does hutches and got bitten, by now I think it was mosquito bites.

My latest addition to the herd, Hansi, a young buck I needed just 3 days to build up enough trust to catch him by hand, and adopted him from the breeder he escaped from, well, he got the name of my father who died about the time that boy was born. He's a beauitiful, striking, athletic, open to new things, strong, fearless guy, a hit with the ladies. I think it's a fitting name.

Right now I have a 7 month old aguotri doe that is still without a name. I would need some time to spend with her, not going to happen in the foreseeable future...

Attachments

• Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Gartenhaus.jpg
    Gartenhaus.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2875.JPG
    DSCN2875.JPG
    536.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It could be thumper, snowball, Willow, Daisy, shotgun

Does anyone have any ideas what they wanted to call their rabbit but didn't use that name... or what are your rabbits called...

- willow
-Romeo
- Hazel
- midnight and star

I'm so bad with giving names, it sometimes takes years. I go by character too, or other things...
Like stereotypes linked with names.

Red, Dotty, Dicker (fatty) well, that's their appearance. My first buck had a lot of NZ blood in him which made him look much more stocky than my other rabbits, hence the name, he wasn't that fat.
Dotty because she's a broken and has dots on her forehead that made her easily distiguishable from her siblings, she's my second free roam house bunny and cuddlebun for my buck.
Red, well, that's her colour, mostly. A shy girl, daughter and living partner of Fury. when I need to handle her biting is her stress relieve. She's 10 now, and needs some attention, plucking fur when shedding, putting eye drops in her blind right eye, and this summer butt baths and fur trimming was necessary. After Fury died this year I keep all my 4 does (and 2 doelings that need to go soon) together.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if anyone ever reads through what I write, if you do, please answer.

Herr Hase (Mr. Bunny) was my second buck, first intentional free roam house bunny. I call my rabbits with "Hase Komm!", and they come running, so it was what I used anyway. He devreloped a crippling spine issue, only bunny I had "put to sleep" , stillk somewhat traumatized because I feel like I failed caring to the best of possibilities (found out later that Meloxicam needs a MUCH higher dose than my vet thinks).

Magda, well, for a long time she was "the gray", but her character was reminded me of a farmgirl, or maidservant (Magd in german). Docile, stubborn but content.

Fury, Die Schwarze, well, she almost succeded in killing me twice and destroyed my apartment when she was in Myxo quarentine for 8 months, was the most Alpha I ever met, other rabbits, dogs, cats - all no match.

Chantal, well, I'm not sure if that name holds the same connotation as it does in german, not too bright, somewhat slutty, but likeable. There was pretty successfull german movie, "Fuck you Göthe" that cemented that stereotype. And it does fit her personality perfectly, not too smart, but she managed to get pregnant without my consent more often than any other, well, except Fury, but she was a breeding doe for 7 years, Chantal developed problems (EC) at 5 and is retired now.

Ruth. Well, I couldn't decide on a name for a long time and just called her "Mausi" because she's partly agouti and that's just a generic pet name. There is a retired Teacher in my village, a very nice lady, that everyone calls "Mausi". Most here do not know her real name. I let my rabbits roam free outside the fence sometimes, and when calling them home one day in a neighbours yard the wrong Mausi responded. Her real name, that nobody uses, is Ruth. The quite similiar positive character traits (friendly, uncomplicated) made that name swap easy.

My current herd buck, free roaming my house and front yard with Dotty now, is Pacino, after Scarface, when he was young his nose looked awful, I thought it was he stuck ninto the does hutches and got bitten, by now I think it was mosquito bites.

My latest addition to the herd, Hansi, a young buck I needed just 3 days to build up enough trust to catch him by hand, and adopted him from the breeder he escaped from, well, he got the name of my father who died about the time that boy was born. He's a beauitiful, striking, athletic, open to new things, strong, fearless guy, a hit with the ladies. I think it's a fitting name.

Right now I have a 7 month old aguotri doe that is still without a name. I would need some time to spend with her, not going to happen in the foreseeable future...
You have really thought long and well about naming!

I was putting it off, but then I just wait til something comes.

I have a huge NZ Flemish cross, black with ticking like agouti, he's Big Daddy. A tiny black NZ doe, only 3 months is Inky Dink. A sweet NZ Flemish cross doe, also 3 months with a dark gray agouti coat and black points is Angel. I also have a Bucky, he's NZ Red. His girls are Faline and Firefly, they came named. The others don't have names yet. Another Flemish NZ cross has Flemish coloring, he is Emmer, after the ancient grain. He is bonded to Inky. These are my breeders.

Our rabbits start off in our rabbit program with just an ear number, so they'll be initially entered as something like "BJF A7," where a letter corresponds to one particular litter. (All our bucks are odd-numbered; all our does are even-numbered.) Then, if they're doing well at the shows (or there's some other reason we know we're keeping it, not selling/eating), they'll get edited to a name that has a word that starts with that letter. So BJF A7 later became BJF Alexander the Great (call name Alex) after he won a 2nd Reserve in Show. Sometimes I even do the letter double, like from our D litter, I kept one doe who became BJF Delta Dawn (from the B litter I have a GC doe named BJF Bertha Bell). Since we have a lot of rabbits, it helps me mentally to keep track of the littermates, so for instance, it reminds me that I still have Duncan, Domis, and Mr Deeds as Senior Black Bucks (in addition to their sire) when I'm trying to pick out something for a buyer. (We've held onto those 3 black brothers until we can test breed them to see if anyone is carrying their father's chocolate recessive.)

- willow
-Romeo
- Hazel
- midnight and star
You already have some tree names there, so you could continue with trees - such as Aspen, Cedar, Ash, Spruce.
Other ideas:
Flowers
Herbs
Birds
Colours
Sweets/Candies
Cakes
and as it's almost Christmas, why not names of Cocktails?

It's very easy to go onto Google and type in 'list of flowers' or 'list of UK birds' or 'list of cocktails' and that will bring you up a lot of ideas.

Only my breeders get real names, I don't want to name babies I plan to eat, I might get attached (and even if I don't, others in my family might). That said, mine have actual names and then they have the names I call them. I let my son name most of them and as a result many have anime-related names (Flopsie, after King Bumi's pet goat-gorilla, Ashe from Pokémon, Gaia, Terra - I don't know where the last two are from but I can guarantee there is some anime connection). I named Fiona, Maxine and Sunny. But, I call Flopsie Floopso most of the time, Ashe gets called Ashy, Terra = Miss T (or sometimes Miss Terrable, when she's spilling her food everywhere), Gaia = Miss G, Fiona is Fee or Miss Fee, and Sunny gets SunBun. Maxine doesn't get called anything anymore, we ate her.

This is so funny! Some of mine have additional nicknames too because of things they do and their reputations. My Lady Grey’s other name is Murder Bun. 😂
She’s the sweetest thing with people, other rabbits though not so much. She hasn’t actually killed anyone except one of her own litters but I have to keep a very close eye on her with her aggression towards my other rabbits. She adores Butterbeer though, go figure.

- willow
-Romeo
- Hazel
- midnight and star
I have rabbits and Guinea pigs. My daughter loves naming them.
Right now we have

Jane and Austin
Cakes, frosting muffin and Fudge
Fancy, Nancy and Drew
Flopsy, Mopsy, and Peter Cottontail
Bear and Boots

I love this. It got me looking back on the hundreds of rabbits that have gone through my rabbitry, most of them named. I had fun naming them, it reflects what I was thinking about at the time.

Some of the many themes for naming my Americans:
American Indian names: Cherokee, Hopi, Sioux, Lakota, Nakota, Dakota, Seminole
States: Kansas
Extinct or threatened cultures: (I did this for remembrance but maybe it is a form of cultural appropriation?) Jeju, Bristol Bay, Mi'kmaq, Kogi, San, Sami, Lennox, Awa
Famous tap dancers: Eleanor, Dianne, Baakari, Jimmy Slyde, Michela Marino, Brinae Ali, Savion
Cherokee words: Unutsi, Unaa, Asagonige'i, Dohi
Rabbit's personality: Sassy, Maddigan, Lucky, Cassandra, Captain, Independence, Sunshine, Happy Girl, Sister Anon, Little Brother
Named after people with similar personality: Frida, Miguel, Greta
Contractions of sire and dam names: Luka, Ceejay, Liberty One, Holly Hi

They are blue or white, with a few agoutis showing up and some blacks. Some have had names reflecting physical characteristics: Blackie, Snow, Blue Squirrel, Hairdo (because her fur stood up on her head), Peanut, Handsome

Mostly now I wait until a name pops up in my head as I'm feeding, usually relates to their personality: Turnip, Rosemary, Otter (because he was so playful and joyous, not because he was the otter coloring), Luna, Cricket (her face reminded me of a cricket), Cricket's Crystal, Chip, Mela, Go 5

My rabbits are called so far.
- willow
-Romeo
- Hazel
- midnight and star
I know it's so hard to find the right name for the cuties. My rabbit's names are. Chocolate (Silver Fox, buck), Snow (California, doe), Bramble (Tanish with white under belly, Mini Plush Lop, buck) Queen, (I don't know what breed she is? looks like a chinchilla breed, but the people/Auction I got her from said she was a New Zealand) Thumper (Silver Fox, buck) and last but not least, MAMA. (Silver Fox, doe). you could ask AI to give you some ideas, I don't normally go to AI but sometimes it's hard to choose, LOL:LOL:.

Love these names! 😊 I have a Lady Grey too, and my bunnies are (mostly) all named after tea/drinks. Butterbeer, London Fog, and someday I hope to keep a buck from Lady Grey and call him Earl. 😂

Pic is of Butterbeer sleeping.
So knocked out, lol:LOL:

for the first few years, each year had a name theme. Flowers, spices, qualities of light, Roman names, etc., etc. Then it got to be a hassle to remember which year came before which year so now each year is sorted in alphabetical order. Eventually, the pedigree program will be sorted by age

Latest posts

Back