Rabbit names for pedigrees

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breeder prefix then name or ear number. Breeder prefix is up to you, can be rabbitry name last name first name what ever you want to use. Just choose 1 and STICK with it. Name of the rabbit, if you don't want to name him/her use the ear number. Choose an ear number. If its a senior, put a weight if you can at all in lbs n ounces like 4.12 would be four pounds and twelve ounces. I hate getting a partial pedigree on a nice rabbit (cannot register him/her or grand either) because some one didn't take the time to fill out the weight or put in an ear number, especially if its a large or xlarge breed its going to take yrs to breed out to have a full pedigree on. They are not fully pedigreed (ARBA wise) unless all info needed is there for 3 generations(breeder prefix n name, proper color, senior weight, ear number, and all of the same breed).

Thanks for the great info. My first two rabbits were aquired kind of wierd way a guy that lived next to my grandfather went and picked up 50 NZW rabbits in texas they were supposed to have pedigrees and look like very strong NZW to me but these 2 escaped and the guy was moving and told me I could put a trap on the property to catch them so I got both of them with in 30 mins they were quite easy to catch the buck looks to be older as he was way bigger than the doe. now they are both the same size. I feel they are good solid stock to start my breeding lines with should I just start with them and make a pedigree for the offspring?

You can start with them, making your own line :)

Get a blank pedigree, might seem like a waste of paper BUT it helped me keep track doing it this way, fill out the buck and does pedigree. The rabbits behind them, cross them all out, so you're pedigree for each will just have their name (for arguments sake I'll just use fakes) and their info. The DOB and Comments are extras I put in, it can be helpful for quick looks. Since you probably don't know the exact date of birth, you can do a general guess...since you know they weren't probably full grown when you caught them depending on their size you should be able to guess with in a month or 2 of how old they really are. Comments are useful for notes on ear length, personality, general litter info, fur quality, habits, or health issues even that you can update as things go along. Things like that though can be kept on a doe record sheet or a buck record sheet too (I do both for every rabbit as the record sheets provide more in depth on each litter (size/color/types/sexes/etc). The breed and sex are also added in, can be just on the current rabbit and not the ones behind it. Some make their own pedigrees or use pre-made ones. Dam (mother) and Sire (father) on the pedigree won't be filled in but as you breed and save kids, the info will be bumped backwards. It never hurts to keep several copies (digital and paper) just in case of fire, theft, or loss of some other kind.

Example of what you might put in the first block on the pedigree and cross out the others as you don't have that info (the actual first rabbit, the ones you have with no other background info). I'm assuming white and a few other things, again its just an example. The pedigree should branch out like a side V, no matter how the paper's laid. I think I still have an old PDF free fill in pedigree from M and M Rabbitry I saved before they closed down/changed (can't find it any more online). If I can find it, I'll post it. There are several other freebies out there that will do ok too or can make your own of course :) There are some programs as well, but there rather expensive for just starting out.

DOE:

Name: Jake's Rocket Ship
Sex: Doe
Breed: New Zealand
Ear Number: JRS
Variety: White
Weight: 11.0
DOB: 02/12
Comments: This rabbit was a good mother, no health issues.

BUCK:

Name: Jake's Rocket Top
Sex: Buck
Ear Number: JRT
Weight: 11.08
DOB: 03/12
Comments: This rabbit good producer, mostly females over males, no health issues.

OFFSPRING'S PEDIGREE:

Name: Jake's Prime Drop
Sex: Doe
Ear Number: JPD
Weight: 11.02
DOB: 05/12
Comments: Brood quality, broken nail.

Dam: Jake's Rocket Ship
Ear Number: JRS
Weight: 11.0
Comments: This rabbit was a good mother, no health issues.

Sire: Jake's Rocket Top
Ear Number: JRT
Weight: 11.08
Comments: This rabbit good producer, mostly females over males, no health issues.

I use my rabbitry name then every year i have a different theme.last year I named them after country singers.my daughter was good at naming rabbits.

I was thinking of having names with themes, but I'm going to cull more than I keep. I am only going to tatt the ones that I keep for breeding or show. Pets will get CULL or PET in the ear, and the culls won't get anything. I'm going to sort out the cull and keeps today or Saturday.

I think themes are great. I named my girl minature schnauzer Darcy and my plan was to get a male and name him Bennet(after Elizabeth Bennet and Mr.Darcy from Pride and Prejudice..switched up the genders); however, I decided that I wasn't a dog person and did not want more dogs. I'm a rabbit person so I will probably go with that sort of theme with mine... Favorite books & movie characters, etc.

prefix plus 20000-names.com and the english-japanese dictionary server since our rabbitry name is in Japanese so our rabbits mostly are.

Every now and then i get going with TV characters... We have a Sheldon and Penny... a Ziva... ( someday when i get a stupendous buck it will be Gibbs) a Smokey and Bandit

For some reason most seem to end up with people names... and i will start littermates with the same letter..that way i know right away what breeding they are from...

Latest posts

Back