Rabbit Medicene Chest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no, some good info, some total BS. Wry neck as a potassium deficiency? The bacon myth shows up too :(

Here is a link to my Rabbit Medicine Chest

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com/apps/ ... cine-chest

I don't use all of this, but I do keep it one hand, just in case. Most of the time, if it is serious, I just cull. But on occasion, I have a particular rabbit that I may treat, like when Little Mama got mastitis after being bitten on the teat by a kit....She developed an abcess and I opened it, cleaned it out, stitched her up and she healed good as new.

lissapell":3mfi3rsz said:
do people really feed rabbits drywall?

That was recommended in The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery as a good source of calcium. I haven't tried it, but I mentioned it here once, and I think someone had and they said it was very messy.

I saw a news article a couple of months ago about a house where people we getting sick. Apparently the sheet rock came from China and had more than just gypsum (a form of calcium sulfate) in it.

So.... one might want to be careful with that.

I mostly treat rabbits with the same products we have for ourselves: triple antibiotic ointment, Murine or Visine, 5% Sevin dust for lice, or ear mites, and natural things for gut problems. When I raised high dollar show rabbits, I always kept some Combiotic (Pen-Aqueous, Penicillin G Procaine) on hand for injections.

I never have rabbits get sick any more, only had ear mites once in the last 3 years. I attribute that to clean cages, the health of mixed breed rabbits, and feeding a bit of hay each day (which I learned from people here)

I have had a few occurrences of nest-eye, which I have come to attribute to dry air in the winter (never see it except during cold weather) and now I treat kits with a bit of regular eye drops in each eye when they are starting to open, and haven't had a case since.

Muccoid enteritis seems to be stress related (especially among weaned kits). Since I have changed my weaning procedure (I suspect the hay helps to) I haven't seen a case in years. As far as medication is concerned, once it is observed, it is probably too late to do anything about it.

I have never had any problems with worms and only had a cocidiosis problem when I tried to colony raise rabbits outside. I think that success is mostly a result of raising on wire and staying away from any wood frames touching the cages.

It never hurts to have a little antibiotic powder around in case of a wound, but I have never had more than an abrasion, and triple antibiotic ointment has worked.

I realize that those raising show rabbits have to be a bit more prepared, but the simple things work for me.

Latest posts

Back