Rabbit meat as pet food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok what do you use from the rabbit if i may ask
Do you blend all expept the fur or

That's the entire point of my meat rabbits. I feed my dogs whole prey when possible. Skin it, split the belly open, maybe pull the intestines, freeze it to be sure it's parasite free (and my weird akita will only eat previously frozen meat), and then offer it to them. However you have to adjust dogs and cats to a whole prey diet slowly or they won't know what to do. To start with or if you don't want to feed it whole just chop it in to pieces. Divide by the bones. Legs, spine, ribcage, etc.... Then feed it all to them in pieces. When not feeding whole prey you may have some trouble getting your dog or cat to eat the internal organs. They need around 5-10% of their raw diet in organs with half being liver so you do need to get them to eat some of it. You can blend it with muscle meat if you have a meat grinder or a willingness to sit there chopping things in to small pieces. You can also try searing the outside of small pieces and offering it that way. Some soak or boil it (no longer raw) in soup broth.

Do not rely on rabbit meat as their only source of meat if doing a full raw diet instead of a supplement. Rabbit doesn't have enough nutrients to sustain life by itself.

Useful links:
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_ ... ead/511303

I used to feed my dogs raw chicken meat, all chicken without head and wings blends, bones heart lung etc
They loved it, and great for the skin
Just wondering if the same is done with rabbit

Yes, there are a number of meat producers (I think here) that produce rabbits specifically for 'organic dog food'

I have before and I will again (this spring).

I skin the rabbits, remove the stomach and intestines and the rest goes to the dogs. My big dogs get 1/2 a rabbit per meal. The little dogs either get small pieces or babies.

Feel free to check out my website (still in the process of completely the conversion so some pages are not up yet):

http://www.rawdogranch.com

I have a friend who just culls her culls, (BEW, so plenty of those) My wife said I can't pick any up for dog food, :(

what I do for raw animal diets. Generally speaking..all dead and frozen. If going for food for critters they do not leave here alive, ever.

1. whole.
2. skinned whole, minus head
3. Skinned, intestines removed only
4. Skinned, intestines removed and bagged separately
5. Skinned, everything removed
6. bags of internal organs (if I don't eat them... somebody else will as in canine/feline/ferret
7. feet
8. heads
9. Skinned, everything removed and bagged separately
10. Skinned, everything removed, organs only bagged separately

Price is always by the pound live weight.

I don't grind because I don't have a good grinder. Someday, but not yet. :)

Thank you ladysown
Anybody else here who want to share what you do when selling rabbit meat as petfood?
Thank you in advance
By the way when i was feeding my dogs raw, i always grinded the whole chicken without head and wings, but with all intestines, that was for the younger dogs, the older i gave all chicken, they loved it and the bones keeps the teeth clean and give the dogs a little work for the feed

ladysown":1y9vkspt said:
what I do for raw animal diets. Generally speaking..all dead and frozen. If going for food for critters they do not leave here alive, ever.

1. whole.
2. skinned whole, minus head
3. Skinned, intestines removed only
4. Skinned, intestines removed and bagged separately
5. Skinned, everything removed
6. bags of internal organs (if I don't eat them... somebody else will as in canine/feline/ferret
7. feet
8. heads
9. Skinned, everything removed and bagged separately
10. Skinned, everything removed, organs only bagged separately

Price is always by the pound live weight.

I don't grind because I don't have a good grinder. Someday, but not yet. :)

there are lots of folks who want it ground. why??? I have no clue, oh hold on...it's because they are worried about bones and don't understand that uncooked bones aren't the issues...it's cooked ones that are and they are just worried.

Whole ground... don't have to worry about the bones then.

Also, maybe house dogs? If they are small and tend to drag the meat off under a bed--eeewww. I have a bigger dog, and he had to be taught that he couldn't take his food and wander off with it, it stays in the kitchen on the linoleum. However, we train our dog, it has been my observation that dog training has fallen out of fashion along with parenting in some circles.

I serve ground to my Chinese Cresteds to give them the VARIETY a well-balanced raw diet needs. The only whole RMBs they can handle are chicken (wings, necks and cornish hen legs). By feeding ground I can give them things like venison, elk, ostrich, turkey, etc.

My dogs are all house dogs and they never remove their food from their bowls. It's a training issue, plain and simple. My dogs all eat right over their bowls.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:22 pm __________<br /><br />
Proper2":bsjjnqul said:
Anybody else here who want to share what you do when selling rabbit meat as petfood?

Most of my buyers wanted it skinned, with no intestines or stomach.

Some wanted it whole, some cut-up and some ground (even double ground).

I offered it the way they wanted. If I had to do more work with the rabbit they had to pay more per pound. :)

LASGSD":26dka6kw said:
My dogs are all house dogs and they never remove their food from their bowls. It's a training issue, plain and simple. My dogs all eat right over their bowls.

Good for you! I agree.

However I did wonder about small dogs--in "nature" they couldn't exactly pull down an elk, the terriers would be ratters, but that would hit the squeamish hard. :roll:

Then again, in "nature" small dogs in their current forms wouldn't exsist(more like foxes, maybe?), they are still dogs and need large animals? Huh. Learn something new every day.

eco2pia":9d7zzcku said:
However I did wonder about small dogs--in "nature" they couldn't exactly pull down an elk, the terriers would be ratters, but that would hit the squeamish hard. :roll:

Then again, in "nature" small dogs in their current forms wouldn't exsist(more like foxes, maybe?), they are still dogs and need large animals? Huh. Learn something new every day.

They would most likely hunt prey their own size.

My Chinese Cresteds are GREAT mousers! They catch, kill and eat the field mice and moles in our field. They have also ganged up to take down a wild rabbit or two. Any baby rabbits would be gone in no time.

The lady I got my breeding stock from sold a lot of her rabbits to a lady who had a business making high end dog food (canned, I assume). She said she could get more money selling them that way then for human consumption.

Latest posts

Back