Rabbit meals thread- how often is rabbit on YOUR menu?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see how often rabbit appears on all of our menus. :dinner:

So, whether you are having rabbit for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, please post about it here!

I'll start...

Last night we had rabbit tacos.
This morning Colliepup made Mexican style rabbit and egg burritos for breakfast with the leftovers.
Dinner was Teriyaki rabbit and rice.

The fridge is packed to overflowing with resting rabbit, so I'm sure more rabbit meals will follow shortly! :bunnyhop: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :bunnyhop:

We have rabbit about once a week. Ran the numbers yesterday as part of my New Year planning & scared DH when I told him to meet the current demand (us plus 2 clients getting 2-3 rabbits a month) we need to raise at least 150 freezer rabbits this year!

Fed the family rabbit for the first time over the weekend , my boys loved it , wife & daughter wouldn't touch it. My wife says she cant make herself eat it as she likens a rabbit to ... a dog , to her its a pet not meat & in turn helped (along with my mother in law) corrupt my daughter who refuses to even taste it.

Seasoned with salt , pepper & tarragon. Browned the meat in walnut oil then added potatoes , carrots , diced onions & cream of mushroom soup and simmered for ~2 hours on low heat. It was .... fantastic.

They may miss a few meals (or eat garbage from a fast food joint).... cause I can see rabbit on the menu at least once a week depending upon supply & the fact that I do all the cooking.

Let's see...in the past week we had oven fried rabbit, rabbit & dumplings, and white chili with ground rabbit. Usually don't have it quite that often. I also canned 8 pints of rabbit so I expect we will be eating it more and more.

Adapted from Greene Acres Old Fashioned Cookery Book

Start with 1lb dried white beans, cooked. Add about 6 cups of chicken broth. Brown 1 lb of ground white meat in olive oil with two chopped onions, 3 cloves garlic, cilantro (optional), a 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp parsley, and salt and pepper. Add to beans, and cook a while. Then add frozen or canned corn/creamed corn, a little jalapeno or red pepper, and a tablespoon or so of cider vinegar, plus additional salt or pepper if needed. We love this...the rabbit version was even better than the turkey!

We Currently eat it 1 or 2 times a week, Just recently started procesing our own with the help of a friend. I will replace rabbit with all the chicken recipies!!!! I don't think I will ever raise chickens for meat again!!

We eat rabbit once a week plus whatever leftovers. Our favorite meal is pot pie followed by shake and bake then rabbit & dumplings.

Ramjet":2gr67dr5 said:
Fed the family rabbit for the first time over the weekend , my boys loved it , wife & daughter wouldn't touch it. My wife says she cant make herself eat it as she likens a rabbit to ... a dog , to her its a pet not meat & in turn helped (along with my mother in law) corrupt my daughter who refuses to even taste it.

Seasoned with salt , pepper & tarragon. Browned the meat in walnut oil then added potatoes , carrots , diced onions & cream of mushroom soup and simmered for ~2 hours on low heat. It was .... fantastic.

They may miss a few meals (or eat garbage from a fast food joint).... cause I can see rabbit on the menu at least once a week depending upon supply & the fact that I do all the cooking.

The way you get them past this, and it is sneaky, is to hide the rabbit meat in plain sight. Camouflage it.

Chicken and dumplings anybody?

concreteblonde":22q5kibn said:
Ramjet":22q5kibn said:

The way you get them past this, and it is sneaky, is to hide the rabbit meat in plain sight. Camouflage it.

If someone did that to me I'd feel very betrayed and definitely would NEVER consent to eat the meat willingly. Out of sheer stubbornness probably.

I went from someone who didn't eat mammals, to some who slaughters rabbits for other families as well as my own, so I can totally relate to both sides.

There were 1000 reason why eating rabbits is good.

Logic won for me.

desertcat":29od11oi said:
We have rabbit about once a week. Ran the numbers yesterday as part of my New Year planning & scared DH when I told him to meet the current demand (us plus 2 clients getting 2-3 rabbits a month) we need to raise at least 150 freezer rabbits this year!

That's more doable than it looks, that's one litter of 8 annually from 19 does, 2 litters from 10, 4 litters from 5 does. Yes the totals are slightly higher than 150 on the math but extras never hurt because, of course, this isn't counting losses at all. All numbers rounded to avoid decimals, since you can only get litters from whole animals. ;)

Hmm, apparently I've just figured out how many litters I'm needing for my freezer this year as well. Thanks
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

concreteblonde":2wleuenu said:

I might get away with that with my daughter ... but it would make my wife very unhappy which in turn would make my life miserable .... I'll have to let her come around on her own.

Yeah, the 150 is doable, buuuuut, right now we only have 3 meat does and one is getting a bit stingy in her litter size! Good news is that in about 2 weeks, there will be meat pen rabbits everywhere since the local stock shows will have come and gone. Just have to figure out where to put them :?

Latest posts

Back