rabbit hutches

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that it has an area out of the wind
easy to move yet heavy enough to stay put
easy to clean out
good heavy roof that lifts open for ease of access
SOLID construction to keep predators out

old post, but I add a double layer to the bottom wire. If there are dogs about you have the wire hutch floor, and then you have a second wire floor made of 2x4 wire mesh about 3-4 inches below the first so dogs and other predators can't grab feet thru the mesh.

oh should add... I LOVE top opening lids for outdoor cages. I know, it creates the added disadvantage of possible leaks. BUT it makes getting rabbits out and cleaning them a whole lot easier! and to create a leak barrier actually isn't all that difficult. :) But have a good overhang to them and an area to get out of the wind if you can.

We never had a problem with pellets falling thru the dog excluder layer, just with the cage bottom itself.

In the future I am thinking of a hutch-within-a-hutch design that features a solid sided bottomless shed with dog excluder and then a hanging cage inside that can be pulled out for cleaning or replacement. We have cats, dogs, raccoons and (eep!) rats here in town, so sturdy is important, but I just don't like wood for sanitation (and in rainy Washington, for rot).

I was thinking for making the "solid sides" out of corrugated tin or fiberglass so that they could just be pressure washed. Pressure treated 4x4s for legs, 2x4 for the framing and the rest tin and wire. I'll let you know how it goes. I am building this in about a week or two, I hope, new buns coming!!

yeah, I am fortunate that I have a giant cedar tree to put the bunnies under and it is never very hot here anyway--maybe 2 days get over 80 degrees each summer. Perpetual rain, and therefore rot, mildew, and mold, are my biggest problems here. Wet rabbits are stinky, miserable, unhealthy rabbits! The hutch turned out cute, it is almost done, I'll post a picture soon.

Latest posts

Back