Rabbit Hutch Progress

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Reaction score
(I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, so mods if need be, please move this thread. :)

My husband has been designing and building a new rabbit hutch for our new bunnies and it's turning out so much better than I thought it would. It's only halfway finished, but I wanted to share. :)

001-16.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:42 pm __________<br /><br />

Very nice, and so professional looking! Just make sure to use 1/2" x 1" 14g wire for the floor and not hardware cloth. Your bunnies' feet will thank you!

OneAcreFarm":1ib52qe4 said:
Very nice, and so professional looking! Just make sure to use 1/2" x 1" 14g wire for the floor and not hardware cloth. Your bunnies' feet will thank you!

Yes, I was just gathering that information. We were going to use a leftover piece of hardware cloth until about 10 minutes ago, lol.

Do you know if I can get this wire at a local feed store or Home Depot? I would prefer the feed store, because I have to go there anyway, but if I need to, I can go to HD.

Thanks!

Home Depot won't have it. Your feed store *may* have it or you may have to order a piece. You can order a piece precut for the floor from Klubertanz.com.

Looks great! What did your Hubs use on the roof? It looks like some kind of metal. I like how he put dual slide-bolts top and bottom on the doors- it looks very secure.

Keep that Hubs of yours content- handy "I'll build this shelter for your (insert animal)" husbands are hard to come by! Especially when they don't share your obsession for whatever critter they have to protect to keep you happy.

Looking forward to seeing your new buns in their Custom Home!

That looks really awesome, Kristi! Love those latches.

Can she use hardware cloth if there are resting boards?

I got heavy-gauge (14 or maybe 12, it didn't say) 1" x 1/2" wire from either Lowe's or Home Depot.

Looks like sheet metal on the roof there. Very nice-looking hutch!! Dual barrel bolts are nice, and will help keep the doors from warping. When we had a hutch like this on our porch, we ended up putting spring-lock hooks and eyes (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053) on our doors as well, since we had coyotes in the area. We hoped that would at least slow a coyote down long enough for us to get there. Don't know if it would have worked, though.

Good job, there, Hubby! It does look professionally made. :)

Sommrluv - technically, you can use what you have on hand. Hardware cloth, though, will sag and will not last nearly as long as a nice, heavy-gauge wire. Some have used hardware cloth, because that was all they had, and they couldn't afford good wire at the time. They did it with the full knowledge that they would have to replace it before too long, though. Resting boards would be an absolute necessity with hardware cloth, since the thin wire is hard on the rabbits' feet and can cause sore hocks much more easily. Could be cardboard, wood, tile, or the plastic ones that fit into the wire and don't move, and have holes for drainage.

OneAcreFarm":28op6lp6 said:
Home Depot won't have it. Your feed store *may* have it or you may have to order a piece. You can order a piece precut for the floor from Klubertanz.com.

Great, thank you for the information!

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:43 am __________

Bramble Hedge":28op6lp6 said:
Very nice keep us posted.

Thank you and will do, Bramble. :bunnyhop:

I would put either a support on either side for the tray, or down the middle, otherwise when you pull the tray out, if you aren't careful, it may tip and spill on the ground.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am __________<br /><br />we bought TSC and the wire popped it's weld down the middle.. I would not recommend!

MamaSheepdog":3l0h61dk said:
Looks great! What did your Hubs use on the roof? It looks like some kind of metal. I like how he put dual slide-bolts top and bottom on the doors- it looks very secure.

Keep that Hubs of yours content- handy "I'll build this shelter for your (insert animal)" husbands are hard to come by! Especially when they don't share your obsession for whatever critter they have to protect to keep you happy.

Looking forward to seeing your new buns in their Custom Home!

Thanks Mama! He used galvanized sheet metal for the top, we got it at Home Depot. The dual slide bolts were my idea (fault?). I wasn't sure that the buns wouldn't be able to push the door open with just one slide bolt on each door. I say "fault" because once I saw how nice the doors he built were, I was kicking myself for spending the money on the extras. However, the wood he used for the door frames *is* the kind that will warp easily, so now I'm glad I got them. :D

He's a good guy, he's forever building me structures for my homesteading interests---gardens, bunny hutches, sheds, etc. He doesn't share my bunny obsession, but he does like them a lot.

I can't wait until the buns can live there too. They will be so much happier with all the space to run and play! :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 am __________

sommrluv":3l0h61dk said:

Thanks Sum, and thanks for asking this question. I had no idea about resting boards. If I can't find the14 guage wire mesh within a day or two, we may be stuck using the hardware cloth and a few resting boards in there until I can get a hold of it.

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 am __________

Miss M":3l0h61dk said:
I got heavy-gauge (14 or maybe 12, it didn't say) 1" x 1/2" wire from either Lowe's or Home Depot.

Looks like sheet metal on the roof there. Very nice-looking hutch!! Dual barrel bolts are nice, and will help keep the doors from warping. When we had a hutch like this on our porch, we ended up putting spring-lock hooks and eyes (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053) on our doors as well, since we had coyotes in the area. We hoped that would at least slow a coyote down long enough for us to get there. Don't know if it would have worked, though.

Good job, there, Hubby! It does look professionally made. :)

Sommrluv - technically, you can use what you have on hand. Hardware cloth, though, will sag and will not last nearly as long as a nice, heavy-gauge wire. Some have used hardware cloth, because that was all they had, and they couldn't afford good wire at the time. They did it with the full knowledge that they would have to replace it before too long, though. Resting boards would be an absolute necessity with hardware cloth, since the thin wire is hard on the rabbits' feet and can cause sore hocks much more easily. Could be cardboard, wood, tile, or the plastic ones that fit into the wire and don't move, and have holes for drainage.

I looked at Home Depot for the 1/2" x 1", but they didn't have it, so I know that's out. I'm going to check my feed store today, and perhaps Lowe's tomorrow. I'm glad the bolts will help with keeping the doors from warping. The pile we got the door wood from had tons of lengths that were warped. As I mentioned before, hubby and I both thought we bought too many slide bolts, but now I'm glad we did. He will be too. :)

You are right---sheet metal for the top. I hope that's not too cold or drippy for them (condensation).

Hubby works at the local airport's carpentry shop, so he gets a lot of practice on how to build nice wood items. For that, I'm really thankful!

Thanks for the info on the hardware cloth. That's a great explanation of how we can work this if I can't find the heavier gauge wire within the next day or two.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:58 am __________<br /><br />
I would put either a support on either side for the tray, or down the middle, otherwise when you pull the tray out, if you aren't careful, it may tip and spill on the ground.

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am __________

we bought TSC and the wire popped it's weld down the middle.. I would not recommend!

Yes, the supports will go in very soon. The tray I think will be heavyish, since it will be made of wood, but lined with sheet metal. Add to that all the bunny poop and pee and yeesh.

What is TSC?

Tractor Supply Company...

and you may want to consider duratrays or metal ones w/o wood...you make that tray too heavy, you'll not want to clean it as often..trust me on that one :blush:

also in case of resale..standard sizes are a good idea...allows more flexibility for purchaser (or you future self)<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am __________<br /><br />Did i mention it's beautiful?

Yeah, I was thinking that. Thankfully my daughter will be sharing the duties with me, so she'll bear a bit of the load. I think, too, that hubby will use a thinner/smaller wood than 2x4's---at least I hope so! He's pretty practical about things like that so I'm sure he's got the solution in hand. :)

Thanks! I really think it is beautiful too!

consider attaching a handle on the front of the tray for ease of pulling it out. Maybe you have a used cupboard door handle waiting to be re-purposed?

sommrluv":3ixi59wy said:

I wouldn't, because they don't always use the resting boards. Hardware cloth is murder on their feet because the wires are so small and the "cloth" flexes too much as they walk, putting pressure on the feet.

Tractor Supply Company...

and you may want to consider duratrays or metal ones w/o wood...you make that tray too heavy, you'll not want to clean it as often..trust me on that one :blush:

also in case of resale..standard sizes are a good idea...allows more flexibility for purchaser (or you future self)

__________ Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am __________

Did i mention it's beautiful?

I second this....it is beautiful! Also, wood trays will be so heavy! Make it easy on yourself and get plastic or metal trays. Also, can he cover that wood support in the middle of where the floor will be with some sheet metal? That strip of wood will get soaked with urine/poo. Covering it will really help.

The wire they sell as TSC is 16g and it is Galvanized BEFORE welding, which is why the welds pop loose easier. You want 14g Galvanized AFTER weld, which reinforces the welds.
If you cannot get it right away, you CAN use the hardware cloth, but go ahead and order a piece of the good stuff. You can replace it when it gets there. Klubertanz will cut it to your specs and if you call them and request a shipping quote, it will be much less than you anticipate.

OneAcreFarm":2uc67bby said:

I second this....it is beautiful! Also, wood trays will be so heavy! Make it easy on yourself and get plastic or metal trays. Also, can he cover that wood support in the middle of where the floor will be with some sheet metal? That strip of wood will get soaked with urine/poo. Covering it will really help.

The wire they sell as TSC is 16g and it is Galvanized BEFORE welding, which is why the welds pop loose easier. You want 14g Galvanized AFTER weld, which reinforces the welds.
If you cannot get it right away, you CAN use the hardware cloth, but go ahead and order a piece of the good stuff. You can replace it when it gets there. Klubertanz will cut it to your specs and if you call them and request a shipping quote, it will be much less than you anticipate.

Point taken in regards to the wood. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am glad to say that I was able to find a roll of 16 guage 1/2" x 1" galvanized after weld wire mesh at Lowe's. It was the best I could get this week. I called Klubbertanz--what a helpful bunch they've got over there--but the best I could do was $25 for a 3'x4' piece to arrive on the 3rd or 4th of January, which is too long to wait. If this stuff that I got today doesn't work out, I'll order the 14 ga. from them when time isn't of the essence.

Thanks again for all of the help! :D

CalicoPrairie":2jtxifr4 said:
OneAcreFarm":2jtxifr4 said:

Point taken in regards to the wood. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am glad to say that I was able to find a roll of 16 guage galvanized after weld wire mesh at Lowe's. It was the best I could get this week. I called Klubbertanz--what a helpful bunch they've got over there--but the best I could do was $25 for a 3'x4' piece to arrive on the 3rd or 4th of January, which is too long to wait. If this stuff that I got today doesn't work out, I'll order the 14 ga. from them when time isn't of the essence.

Thanks again for all of the help! :D

That 16g should last you a lot longer than the hardware cloth, at least a year, and by the time you need to replace it, you can get 14g. I will need to check Lowe's here for the 16g in 1" x 2" for walls/roofs/doors. I need to make some doors bigger. How much was it?

OneAcreFarm":1f0dknk6 said:
That 16g should last you a lot longer than the hardware cloth, at least a year, and by the time you need to replace it, you can get 14g. I will need to check Lowe's here for the 16g in 1" x 2" for walls/roofs/doors. I need to make some doors bigger. How much was it?

Awesome! Well, let see....I got a roll 30" x 10' for $16.98, I think. :)

Latest posts

Back