Rabbit Having Babies!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianFigs

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday I went to check up on my rabbit and I noticed that she collecting bundles of hay in her mouth and was putting it in her hideaway box, and today I went in there and I saw that she pulled all of her fur near her stomach and breast and has put it in her hideaway box, I can see some mammary glands, so I am assuming that she is pregnant. I am really Excited!!! But I am also worried, it has been really cold lately going up to 30 degrees Fahrenheit (sorry I live in america) don't know Celsius. I can put her in my house, but I raise pigeons and I know that if you move them they will not recognize the nest, not sure if that is the same for rabbits, and if I can not move them will the babies survive during the cold? She has made the nest very nice, but I heard that rabbits don't sit on their babies. Sorry for asking too many questions, I am just very excited!

Thanks,
ValencianFigs
:bunnyhop:

__________ Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:16 am __________

Sorry for posting twice, not sure what happened.<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:16 am __________<br /><br />Sorry for posting twice, not sure what happened.

Generally rabbit mothers will pull enough fur to keep the babies warm, when they are born she will cover them up with her pulled fur instead of sitting on them like a chook. i am not sure how cold 30'F is but I do know a lot of breeders in america have bunny babies in snowy climates.

Hello,

Thanks for replying, 30 degrees Fahrenheit is around 0 degrees celsius I believe. Can I take the cage and put it in my house? Or will she forget about the nest and babies.

Thanks,
ValencianFigs

Hello and welcome !!!

Now... take a deep breath and relax.

Your does should be just fine. No... rabbits do not set like pigeons do. They will pull fur and the kits snuggle in that and keep each other warm. the doe will only go into the nest once or twice a day. This is instinct as rabbits are prey animals for just about Anything bigger than themselves. in the wild a doe constantly near her nest would draw a preditor's attention.

30 degrees is not all that cold... we are in upstate NY and this AM we were in the teens. So far our bunnies are fine. Keeping them dry and out of a draft is very important.

Personally at the temperatures You a mentioning... i would not move the nest. U[p here when it Really drops then the box could be brought in and returned to the doe once or twice a day for feeding. Good Luck with the new babies .

Congratulations on the babies! I hope all goes well. Welcome to RT- I'm sure you will enjoy it here and learn a lot.

Ok, so if it gets really cold I should bring them in and then take them out so the mother can feed them?

Should I just feed her the normal everyday food, vegetables fruit, hay, and pellets?

Thanks,
ValencianFigs
:bunnyhop:

I free feed pellets when my does kindle as well as offering the other feed you mentioned. I would leave the nest out there for her. If you are very concerned, Bass Equipment sells nestbox warmers (I feel like a Bass salesman for all the times I've mentioned this on this site- maybe I should ask for a sales commission!) or you could get a reptile heater from a pet store (the type that is placed under the tank) just make certain the doe cannot reach the cord.

Did you buy her bred or breed her? You didn't mention anything about that. If not, she may have a false pregnancy.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, ValenicianFigs! :hi:

Have you checked deep in the nest? If she has been pulling a lot of fur, there is a very good chance the kits have already arrived. You should check the nest, do a count of kits if she has some and make sure all are alive. If you look at their bellies, your should be able to tell if she has fed them. They should be nice and round, not flat and wrinkled. There a pictures in this thread to help you know what to look for: fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html

Hello,

I have a male dutch rabbit and I believe he made her pregnant, she is a Netherland Dwarf and when I took them out to run around in their run he might have made her pregnant,and I have checked she has not had the babies yet. But I think she might have them tonight or tomorrow. Cuz yesterday would be her 28th day of pregnancy, and I will check out the heater.

Hang in there! Mine have been pretty consistent at 31 days. Usually the night before or early the morning of the 31st day. Well, except the time one went 38. I actually thought she'd had a false pregnancy, bred her back, and she had the baby's the next day.

I usually count day 33 as a rough due date but prepare from as early as day 28 that way by the time I think she has gone over (about day 35) she really is over. lol

Hello,

She still hasn't had her babies and I believe today is the 31st. So I am going to wait and just see what happens. I hope she has them because I have never had baby bunnies.

I have a question about color and eye color.

I have a half hotot blue eyed white netherland dwarf female, and a gray-blue dutch male rabbit. They have breed, how will the babies look like? And eye color?

I have attached photos of them two.

Thanks,
ValencianFigs :bunnyhop:<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:00 pm __________<br /><br />Sorry guys, i tried to upload but it said size was big and I resized it and it still didn't let me, so I am going to post the photobucket link.

Dutch Rabbit (and fake rabbit)
Untitled.png

Netherland Dwarf
NetherlandDwarf.png

Blue eyed white is recessive so crossing a blue eyed rabbit to a rabbit that doesn't at least carry it will not produce more of them. Sometimes half blue eyed rabbits will have odd white markings but it may not be obvious on the kits because of the dutch pattern. A half dutch will have partial white markings but not the full dutch pattern.

Aside from the white markings on the kits blue eyed white and red eyed white cover over whatever color the rabbit would have been. Underneath the white you could have any color of rabbit leading to nearly any color being possible in the offspring. However some colors are much easier to get than others making them more common. Odds are highest you'll get blacks or chestnut agoutis.

They should all be vienna carriers (capable of breeding glue eyed white if put back to a blue eyed white), they can range from solid color, random white spots or dutch type markings.<br /><br />__________ 14 Dec 2011, 19:20 __________<br /><br />Oh and the BEW netherland soo cute - my daughter just loves the BEW

Thanks Guys for the info, and compliments :D. I still haven't seen any babies in the nest, so I am not sure if she is really pregnant or n<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm __________<br /><br />Does anyone have a link to breeding rabbit information. A really good information website. Because so far I am thinking that she has a false pregnancy because she hasn't had much interest in the nest anymore. But who knows I want to know how to successfully breed them in the Spring because it is too cold right now.

Latest posts

Back