Rabbit has frostbit feet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
I have a young (month old) wooly rabbit who spent his first night outside. He then promptly got his feet frozen to the wire.

I thawed him and brought him inside. His feet were swollen and bruised. Then, I let him nurse off a doe. Not his mother, his mother doesn't like him much anymore, but a different doe, a crazy psycho b of a doe. She must have cut him with her nail, because he was bleeding.

That brings us to today. His feet are still swollen, and I'm afraid he's developed an infection. It smells. I've out blue kote on his feet. He's still eating, has a great appetite really, drinking, flopping and hopping around. I was weaning him - letting him nurse once a day - but should I up that? To help him be stronger? Should I give a course of antibiotics?

He hadn't seemed to lost any weight, but I'm weighing him daily pre feeding now. He was 196g last I checked, his sister is 373 g. Big difference. But feeling his spine, he doesn't seem underweight, I simply think he's a dwarf and she's not.

So,yah. Any help is appreciated. A friend is in love with him and I can't let him die (I like him too, and don't want him to suffer, but she'll be heart broken)

Do you have any Epsom salts? I find a good soak in warm (not hot) water with Epsom salts helps draw out infection.

I did a google search for frostbite epsom salts and there is tons of information. This is for a cat, but it may be helpful.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/frostbite.htm

Edited to add: In extreme cold, I don't think having rabbits directly on wire is a good idea. Could you put down cardboard, wood, hay or straw to give them some insulation? I don't mean to be critical, but you wouldn't want this to happen again.

Thank you. I will get so,w.

The wire is fine, none of my adults have been affected and I don't know anyone else who has their rabbits on wire have this happen.
He had a nest box he could be in, and most of my rabbits get cardboard anyways. So, unless I completely covered the wire it seems it would have happened regardless. and in extreme cold, you can't clean wood floors, so then they just get nasty, cause I've got several rabbits on wire and wood caging.

I understand your concern though.

Could it have stepped in water or urine, getting it's feet wet so the freezing occurred? Poor thing... hopefully the epsom salt soak helps! Sounds like, in your experience, it was a somewhat freak accident.

The Epsom salts would be good for the swelling, too.

In order to keep from getting more of the bun wet than necessary, you could wet the feet with the Epsom salt water and then wrap them with rags moistened with the water. Hold him in your lap for 10 - 20 minutes. I'd recommend doing it as many times per day as you can (as much as he'll let you).

Heritage he was near the water bowl so I believe that's what happened.

Miss M: he's a baby jersey wooly, he'll let me do anything lol. Glad to know I can give him quite a few. It definitely doesn't smell good ): but I swear his feet are less swollen now! <br /><br /> -- Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 pm -- <br /><br /> Just wanted to thank yall. The Epsom salt baths seem have to helped greatly! Any sign of infection is gone, and the swelling has gone down. He's still gaining ~10 g a day well :)

CochinBrahmaLover":25gir6em said:
The Epsom salt baths seem have to helped greatly! Any sign of infection is gone, and the swelling has gone down. He's still gaining ~10 g a day well :)

That's incredible news! I'm so happy for you- but especially for him! :bouncy:

FZnPRqx.jpg

The cutie pie.

Back