Rabbit Food Questions - I still feel lost here

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
Okay so we got Lego at 10 weeks old and he is now 6 months old. He is doing great. A feisty little rabbit. Here are my questions about food:

1. If Walmart and Tractor Supply are the only options for rabbit pellets, which brand is the best?

2. On an average, how long can one bag of rabbit food be kept before it molds?

3. Will the mold be obvious? We have had this bag for a few months and it still looks the same. The bag is closed and it's on a concrete floor in a dry basement. I am scared to death I will make him sick by not noticing that it has molded.

4. He is now old enough for other foods like fruits and veggies. Are these necessary or just for fun?

5. What do you think about probiotics? I think this will be stressful leaving him for two weeks and want him to be as healthy as possible.

Thank you all for your help. I don't know what I would do without the advice here.

OH UPDATE on our Christmas trip - there is a pet store in town that also does boarding. They have two lop rabbits that live in the pet store full time (owner's husband ended up being allergic but the lady wanted a place she could still pet, hold, etc... them so this pet store agreed to let them live there in this enormous multilevel hutch). So anyway, that store has agreed to let Lego stay there. He will have his own cage and play yard. During the times someone is in the store (10-7 everyday) he will be allowed to roam freely in the play yard. When no one is there, he will be in his cage - just like at home. They have rabbit knowledge since they take care of two all the time and use a local vet who also is familiar with rabbits. The employee who will be doing most of the care also has rabbits. She said they will take him out and hold him and play with him everyday as well. I don't think I could have found a better solution. And all this for $8 a day!

I feed pellets/greens/hay/treats mix diet. I show as well as breed. For a pet, pellets, hay, and some treats (mind his weight so he doesn't get too fat) would seem to be fine. Can add hay and other things to help with being bored or as feel is needed. Just watch for runs and bloat, add things slowly. Some rabbits can tolerate things very well while others can't. If kept well, feed can usually go 6 months or so without worry, however I cut off at 3 months. That's a personal choice, but fresher is better as far as quality/least chance of issues go. Even "fresh" feed can be moldy, so still watch. I've never bothered with probiotics on a normal basis even for trips, just when some one wasn't well and I was trying to give them a bit of a jump back to normal. Since its a stressful time, it might help. I know some swear by doing pros when on trips.

I would be asking if the general public is going to be allowed to hold and cuddle with my rabbit or ? Will my rabbit be kept away from the residents and other animals there? Even though some one may not mean to, accidents can happen. If there's an accident or care provider feels needed, my rabbit goes to the vet, do I have to pay the entire bill for the trip to their vet no matter the reason? I'd hate to think any thing would happen, but if they take rabbit to their vet and vet comes up with a 500.00 bill, you could be stuck with said bill if nothing is laid out up front.

Is he tattooed or any thing in case he is "sold" and ownership can be proved later? Will the other workers know he's just boarding/any care responsibilities on their part? What happens if there is a shop break in? Is there any thing in writing as far as a boarding agreement goes? Some of these things I'm assuming on, just guesses.

We have a Wal-Mart and TSC here as well as a few feed mills in the area, pet stores, and Rural King. Between TSC and Wal-Mart, our TSC carries better feed and the one I liked the best from reading the guaranteed analysis and ingreients at TSC was Manna Pro, but that is just my OPINION.
Make sure the humidity is low in the basement. If the bag is paper and not plastic, it would be best to get it up off the floor to allow air flow under the bag and also not to draw moisture.
Putting some apple cider vinegar wouldn't be a bad idea. The organic kind like Bragg's is better than the pasteurized kind.
I feel it would be best if you could have someone stay in your home to take care of him. I would worry about different sights, sounds, and smells at the pet store with possibly different temperature too. Just a thought, and someone with more experience than me will have some great input I am sure, but I wonder if it would be of benefit for him to spend some time at the pet shop before you leave. Maybe you could take a few trips there with him so he experiences some of those new sights, sounds and smells while in the comfort of your presence. Let him investigate his play yard and cage with you there for some support. At the least, I would consider the main caregive at the pet shop to visit him at your house.

A storage idea if you have the option is put your feed in the freezer. Mice and bugs can't get into it and it'll stay fresh forever

ckcs":ls1s8yy0 said:
I like Mana Pro from TS. You can get 25# bags for $8.49 on sale right now. Should last one rabbit 3-6 months

Mana makes the feed Walmart sells too. It is sold under the name"Small World" and sells for $7.48 US per 25#. Look at the bottom of the bag for "manufactured by". When I saw that I called and talked with a Rep and she said it's the same exact formula sold under their name. The only exception is trace amounts of Yucca are added to help reduce urine smell at Walmart's request.

I didn't know that the Walmart brand was the same exact thing.... I'll have to go and check it out. Every $ saved is another $ I can spend on them in some other way...

LilacGal":3t94nw1h said:
I didn't know that the Walmart brand was the same exact thing.... I'll have to go and check it out. Every $ saved is another $ I can spend on them in some other way...

I didn't didn't either, that's why I called Manna. :) Look for a mostly green bag.

I can no longer get to TSC, so I ordered Small World from Walmart and it gets delivered to the house. The bag says it's Manna Pro, and when I opened it, it smelled like MannaPro. Most foods are just fine, if you aren't breeding, showing or raising wool animals. You have to find out whatever works for your bun :)

Thanks for the information. I searched and searched for someone to keep him in my home and found nothing but one lady who would basically just come by to feed him everyday and that it is and he would never get out of his cage. This store he is staying at is very small and never busy so it won't be stressful in that way. We really don't have any other option right now. I felt better that at least this store (with like 3 employees) cares for rabbits full time because they have some living in the store.

I will look for the food at walmart and TSC.

Kristy

Latest posts

Back